Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to use rapid charger every day on my new nissan leaf. Looking at documentation this should not be done, I had to purchase batteries as my mileage was too high. Anyone got experience they can share? Thanks Martin

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I think they are hedging their bets as they really dont know the long term damage, that said your pack is under warranty and I can find no language that says your warranty is void if you use it more than 1 per day so go for it

·
Registered
253 Posts
I RC almost every day, sometimes up to 3 times. I've never had my battery temp gauge over 7 bars before though. I think excessive heat may accelerate battery degradation. 35k miles now over 20 months and no noticeable loss of range although I'm sure I will have lost some

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I RC almost every day, sometimes up to 3 times. I've never had my battery temp gauge over 7 bars before though.
Wow, it must be chilly where you are or a long time to cool between charges. I did 4 RCs in a day on a 300 mile roundtrip in June, two from LBW and hit 11 battery temp bars. I think the 70mph (64mph real world speed) motorway driving didn't help the temperature due to fast discharge too. Don't buy my LEAF when it's lease is up :p

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I don't frequently rapid charge but have had three in a day on one journey, the battery bar didn't get much above the middle ground (temp). Was on a "hot" UK summer day too. That said I didn't go much above 60-70 for any extended period of time.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Doesn't the LEAF have a fan to cool the battery when rapid charging? I'm not sure what Zoe has, but when I rapid charge mine there is often the sound of a fan running underneath. Is this cooling the battery pack, or more likely the charging unit under the bonnet? Anyone know?
Zoe also lacks a temperature guage so I've absolutely no idea how hot mine gets, and I think my record is 5 rapid charges in a day....

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
AFAIK there is no battery cooling on the Leaf at all. There is water-cooling for the charger/inverter (not sure which or might be both) but that is only active when charging from AC.

IMO Nissan missed a trick not including battery thermal management in the original spec.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
The last time I spoke with them at the e-NV200 launch they still didn't see a need for anything more than they have now, not really anyway. Despite the e-NV200 having a bit of cooling when on rapid chargers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts