Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

First time poster here. Sorry if this is a dumb or duplicate question but I'm hoping to someone else has had a similar issue.

At the moment I've a Nissan Leaf which came with a Type 1 (J1772) to a Type 2 (62196) charging cable. Most of the public chargers in Ireland use Type 2 and this seems to be the more popular one in Europe so makes sense to stick with that.

I'm considering getting a portable charger (granny lead) as a backup if I'm ever stuck out of range of a public charger. I'd like to future proof it if possible since it's a pretty expensive item for something that would only get occasional use.

So it seems to make sense that I get a Type 2 portable charger that I can plug my existing charging lead into, essentially turning it into a big EV charging extension lead. This way I can use it with my next EV which will probably be a Type 2 connector

Now, the big question, has anyone done that and will it work? Are there any types or brands of portable chargers that I'd need to get for this to work?

I know that EV charging cables are more than just power leads, they allow communication between the car & charger, so I'm wondering will it sense that I've joined some cables together and decided it isn't a valid setup?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Getting a type2 granny lead and plugging your existing T1->T2 cable on the end of it won't work. Plugging cables together defeats some of the safety protections and therefore has been deliberately contrived to not work at all as part of the specification for the connectors.

A box with a type2 socket on it and a 13A plug would theoretically do the job, and some people have built such things as a DIY project. I don't know of any commercial products in that format, though they may exist.

In practice, it probably works out cheaper to just buy a T1 granny cable and plan to sell it when you sell the car (although there won't be many new T1 cars sold in the future, the buyer of your car will need one, and there will be a continued market for them for T1 owners whose own granny cables have worn out or gone faulty - there's quite a population of T1 PHEVs out there).

·
Registered
199 Posts
I built a portable evse, slightly over-engineered for my purposes. It will do 22kW three-phase, and has a type 2 socket on it.
I can plug the Type 2 to Type 1 cable that came with my Leaf into it, and I can charge off a number of different industrial power outlets.
You don't need to worry about joining cables together, since you're only actually using one EV charging cable there, and the upstream part of lumpy box on the cable is just 'dumb' AC power cabling = Earth, L, N.
(or in my case, Earth, L1, L2, L3, N)

In terms of off-the-shelf products, there's not many that are designed for portable use and come with a type 2 socket.
Technically, if a product is to meet the specification, the AC cable from the EVSE to the plug, to go into the wall socket should be 30cm or less; so if you're looking for an off-the-shelf product that meets the specifications, it would have to look a lot like a typical 'granny' cable, though it could well have a type 2 socket on it.

The closest I can think of is probably way more feature specified than you need, and I know of at least one person using it as a portable device
EmonEVSE WiFi Connected EV Charging Station IEC 60947-5 (Type-2)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
2choices.
1. Get a portable EVSE which has a type 2 socket on it rather than a tether, and use your type2 to type 1 cable with it. Or make your own like this See DIY EVSE threads.
2. Get a type 1 portable EVSE with tether and change the tether to type 2 later when you no longer need the type 1.
EV Bitz sell them, and som,e of the components for a DIY build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting a type2 granny lead and plugging your existing T1->T2 cable on the end of it won't work. Plugging cables together defeats some of the safety protections and therefore has been deliberately contrived to not work at all as part of the specification for the connectors.

A box with a type2 socket on it and a 13A plug would theoretically do the job, and some people have built such things as a DIY project. I don't know of any commercial products in that format, though they may exist.

In practice, it probably works out cheaper to just buy a T1 granny cable and plan to sell it when you sell the car (although there won't be many new T1 cars sold in the future, the buyer of your car will need one, and there will be a continued market for them for T1 owners whose own granny cables have worn out or gone faulty - there's quite a population of T1 PHEVs out there).
Yeah I chatted with an EV connector company yesterday and they said it wouldn't work either. I think one of the signalling lines has to have a pretty specific resistance and if joining two leads together would give it an invalid result.

I guess you have a point that it'll help sell the car in future so it's something to think about. It's really just an idea I'm toying with at the moment. The charging network here in Ireland is reasonably good (and free!) but there are quite a few gaps where you could end up stuck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I built a portable evse, slightly over-engineered for my purposes. It will do 22kW three-phase, and has a type 2 socket on it.
I can plug the Type 2 to Type 1 cable that came with my Leaf into it, and I can charge off a number of different industrial power outlets.
You don't need to worry about joining cables together, since you're only actually using one EV charging cable there, and the upstream part of lumpy box on the cable is just 'dumb' AC power cabling = Earth, L, N.
(or in my case, Earth, L1, L2, L3, N)

In terms of off-the-shelf products, there's not many that are designed for portable use and come with a type 2 socket.
Technically, if a product is to meet the specification, the AC cable from the EVSE to the plug, to go into the wall socket should be 30cm or less; so if you're looking for an off-the-shelf product that meets the specifications, it would have to look a lot like a typical 'granny' cable, though it could well have a type 2 socket on it.

The closest I can think of is probably way more feature specified than you need, and I know of at least one person using it as a portable device
EmonEVSE WiFi Connected EV Charging Station IEC 60947-5 (Type-2)
That's probably overkill for something I'd only be using in emergencies. I've already got an EO mini charger at home which works fine with my existing cable, so the granny lead would purely be backup.

I'd be tempted to do a DIY build but I'm not sure I've the skills for that job. My main fear in that case would be the reaction from my wife if the thing blew up!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2choices.
1. Get a portable EVSE which has a type 2 socket on it rather than a tether, and use your type2 to type 1 cable with it. Or make your own like this See DIY EVSE threads.
2. Get a type 1 portable EVSE with tether and change the tether to type 2 later when you no longer need the type 1.
EV Bitz sell them, and som,e of the components for a DIY build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Option 1 is what I'd like but not sure the off the shelf portable chargers will work with this. DIY might be the only option but I'm pretty inexperienced at this kind of thing

Option 2 might be a better idea, cutting off a type 1 plug and replacing with a type 2 is probably easier than building a charger from scratch. I imagine it's considerably cheaper than buying one too!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I'd just buy a granny lead for your Leaf if you think you'll need one and not worry about anything else. The car should have come with a granny lead anyway.

Hacking stuff together is fun, but if there was a fault with any of it and it damaged the car or set fire to your car or the building it was plugged into then your insurance wouldn't pay out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd just buy a granny lead for your Leaf if you think you'll need one and not worry about anything else. The car should have come with a granny lead anyway.

Hacking stuff together is fun, but if there was a fault with any of it and it damaged the car or set fire to your car or the building it was plugged into then your insurance wouldn't pay out.
Yeah it's looking like that's the only option available to me.

On a side note, it seems in Ireland the dealerships supply a Type 1 to Type 2 lead instead of a granny cable. I think the reason for this is because the public chargers are all type 2 and free to use. Also there's a grant for home chargers so I don't think many folks use the granny cable long term.

Something to note for anyone doing a trip to Ireland, make sure you're capable of charging from a type 2 outlet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts