Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Daniel
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this isn't news, but as a Town Planner I am routinely requiring major developers to fit EV charging points in new developments by planning condition. I must have recommended approval of planning applications that will deliver over two dozen in Leeds just in recent months alone. They are starting to appear (and way in advance of any web map or app that shows them).

It stems from the policy guidance at Para 35 of the National Planning Policy Framework, which guides planning decisions and sets out government planning policy. Specifically it states:

35. "Plans should protect and exploit opportunities for the use of sustainable transport modes for the movement of goods or people. Therefore, developments should be located and designed where practical to:

● accommodate the efficient delivery of goods and supplies;
● give priority to pedestrian and cycle movements, and have access to high quality public transport facilities;
● create safe and secure layouts which minimise conflicts between traffic and cyclists or pedestrians, avoiding street clutter and where appropriate establishing home zones;
incorporate facilities for charging plug-in and other ultra-low emission vehicles; and
● consider the needs of people with disabilities by all modes of transport."

In every major new development (10 houses or more or over 1,000sqm floorspace for anything else), there should be EV charing points installed. This includes for housing (for each house), new offices and supermarkets. Even a new local medical centre has one now by condition.

So, if you see a major planning application advertised (site notice, letter, press advert), make sure you make a comment on it, and seek assurances from the planning officer that EV facilities will be included - I make this post because I know of many a planning officer who neglects Para 35, and doesn't seek them, so make sure they cannot ignore it by making a comment on any application.

It will make a refreshing change for them from the not in my back yard comments they usually get :)

Regards

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have some become really interested in this recently. I had a conversation with th guy at POD point whose remit is getting PODs into attractions. I had responded to their website with a whole host of suggestions for places they would be useful. He connected me to say they are getting the best responses when the customer contacts the attraction first asking if there is facility. Obvious really - demand required for investment to supply. Anyway, I have emailed the various attractions and he will follow up with a phone call asking if they want info in a month or two. I'd love there to be chargers anywhere I can easily occupy a young kiddie for a couple of hours (softplays, beach, zoo's, adventure playgrounds etc etc).
I have also emailed the PR person for the big new development that's happening in town to check there will be charging points there. 4 in the Asda car park I am told. It's been interesting to learn which supermarkets and department stores etc routinely have them. I think that will have a baring on how I plan my longer trips round the country. So thanks for the info above - I will continue my barrage of people in control!

·
Registered
266 Posts
T
Sorry if this isn't news, but as a Town Planner I am routinely requiring major developers to fit EV charging points in new developments by planning condition. I must have recommended approval of planning applications that will deliver over two dozen in Leeds just in recent months alone. They are starting to appear (and way in advance of any web map or app that shows them).

It stems from the policy guidance at Para 35 of the National Planning Policy Framework, which guides planning decisions and sets out government planning policy. Specifically it states:

35. "Plans should protect and exploit opportunities for the use of sustainable transport modes for the movement of goods or people. Therefore, developments should be located and designed where practical to:

● accommodate the efficient delivery of goods and supplies;
● give priority to pedestrian and cycle movements, and have access to high quality public transport facilities;
● create safe and secure layouts which minimise conflicts between traffic and cyclists or pedestrians, avoiding street clutter and where appropriate establishing home zones;
incorporate facilities for charging plug-in and other ultra-low emission vehicles; and
● consider the needs of people with disabilities by all modes of transport."

In every major new development (10 houses or more or over 1,000sqm floorspace for anything else), there should be EV charing points installed. This includes for housing (for each house), new offices and supermarkets. Even a new local medical centre has one now by condition.

So, if you see a major planning application advertised (site notice, letter, press advert), make sure you make a comment on it, and seek assurances from the planning officer that EV facilities will be included - I make this post because I know of many a planning officer who neglects Para 35, and doesn't seek them, so make sure they cannot ignore it by making a comment on any application.

It will make a refreshing change for them from the not in my back yard comments they usually get :)

Regards
Thanks Daniel, can I ask if this guidance also applies in Wales?

·
Daniel
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Daniel. We're in Leeds and will take this on board. Have recently contacted Aldi about putting chargers in a new Leeds store. No reply yet, but will keep pestering other companies when we see planning applications come up.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Daniel, this is interesting, thanks for posting. I have been in contact with Pod-Point about two of their charge posts which have been installed on the recent ALDI development in Beeston. I realise these were there as part of the planning permission, so the planning conditions do seem to be working - however, Pod-Point don't know about these posts at all and they're not on their maps. Only one appears to have been connected to the mains...

To ensure that developers don't just bolt them to the ground to make it look like they've complied, it is essential that the rest of the infrastructure is put in place, is fully functional and the back-office company knows about them so they can be properly utilised!

Keep up the good work :)

Reactions: apscotland

·
Registered
331 Posts
I wish I'd known this months ago. Aldi is opening a new Eastbourne store later this week, but had no plans to fit any charge points last December.
I'm expecting traffic chaos. A nearby* level crossing regularly results in stationary vehicles that will block the car park entrance and exit.
* A quarter of a mile away.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wonder if developers can access funding for points to go in at the new build stage? My company has a large new build programme on the north west (social housing) and I know we do not include charge points on the houses. If this was imposed I imagine it would be a costly extra so I'd be interested to know if there is some kind of funding model available in this situation. If there was I'd certainly be pushing it at work to get us involved. The points may not get used immediately but with EVs being cheaper to run, it would certainly offer benefits to our customers. Let me know if you know of anything I could suggest.

·
Daniel
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi David, I know that for the volume house builders the cost of including an EV charging point (when they are wiring a new house up afresh anyway and the sockets aren't that expensive) in the overall scheme of things it is negligible to them, but I appreciate your business model will be different. In my view central government should be assisting, but then they very busy with the Housing and Planning Bill, offering the right to buy to housing association tenants right now!

·
Daniel
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Daniel, this is interesting, thanks for posting. I have been in contact with Pod-Point about two of their charge posts which have been installed on the recent ALDI development in Beeston. I realise these were there as part of the planning permission, so the planning conditions do seem to be working - however, Pod-Point don't know about these posts at all and they're not on their maps. Only one appears to have been connected to the mains...

To ensure that developers don't just bolt them to the ground to make it look like they've complied, it is essential that the rest of the infrastructure is put in place, is fully functional and the back-office company knows about them so they can be properly utilised!

Keep up the good work :)
Thanks Spike, good to know they put them in there. Perhaps there is scope for the Council to enforce the condition that requires them, but then this raises the issue of the precise wording of the condition. As you note no point (excuse the pun) providing them if they aren't connected or on the map. Perhaps the condition should require them not just to be provided, but also to be made available for use (ie be connected and available) for the lifetime of the development, and to be registered on a national register/maps.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Also wish I had known this.
There have been several large retail and leisure developments gone in by me over the last few years NONE have any EV provision.
One was huge, £65 million, one is now ongoing both within a few miles.
So shortsighted but Wirral Council are useless at anything except ripping off council tax payers.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Just been checking and also found a 2 storey McDonalds drive thru has been granted PP.
No EV point.
If it wasn't for Asda there would be no privately provided chargepoints in the whole of Wirral.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I see there is a planning application for 350 houses, medical centre, and shop a few hundred metres from me. The Transport Appraisal and Travel Plan Scoping Note mentions electric car charging, but I can't see any mention in the other planning documents (it's an application for outline permission for the buildings and detailed permission for the road junctions):
For the residential development, information in moving-in welcome packs and public transport vouchers would be provided. As part of the building design it is suggested that adequate secure cycle parking for every unit and car electric charging points be provided. To monitor and maintain the travel plan either the developer needs to provide upfront funding for this as part of the community centre management duties or a consultant is appointed with a retainer
I guess this would be an appropriate point to add a comment asking the planning office to ensure that the electric charging points don't get overlooked at the later stages.

Also, I see the planners are really keen to make sure they've involved the local community. :rolleyes: They have a presentation in the village hall. Next Tuesday 1:30pm to 5:30pm. (Evidently they don't want to risk anyone who has a job actually getting there)

Reactions: Spike

·
Daniel
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just been checking and also found a 2 storey McDonalds drive thru has been granted PP.
No EV point.
If it wasn't for Asda there would be no privately provided chargepoints in the whole of Wirral.
That is very poor of the Wirral, in fact it's worse than that it's negligent of them. On a £65m development it's simply unforgivable - short sighted of the developer too. And Mc D's, you could surely get a few miles charge in even whilst just waiting for and eating a Big Mac! (Yuk)

·
Daniel
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I
I see there is a planning application for 350 houses, medical centre, and shop a few hundred metres from me. The Transport Appraisal and Travel Plan Scoping Note mentions electric car charging, but I can't see any mention in the other planning documents (it's an application for outline permission for the buildings and detailed permission for the road junctions):

I guess this would be an appropriate point to add a comment asking the planning office to ensure that the electric charging points don't get overlooked at the later stages.

Also, I see the planners are really keen to make sure they've involved the local community. :rolleyes: They have a presentation in the village hall. Next Tuesday 1:30pm to 5:30pm. (Evidently they don't want to risk anyone who has a job actually getting there)
Absolutely Duncan, it's a hybrid outline/full application then! Yes now is the time to require by condition adherence to the Travel Plan measures at 2.8 of it which you quote, but I would suggest a separate condition is also required to secure precise details of EV charge points to the houses (the medical centre should have at least one too - the last one I dealt with in Leeds has one for patients).

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thanks Spike, good to know they put them in there. Perhaps there is scope for the Council to enforce the condition that requires them, but then this raises the issue of the precise wording of the condition. As you note no point (excuse the pun) providing them if they aren't connected or on the map. Perhaps the condition should require them not just to be provided, but also to be made available for use (ie be connected and available) for the lifetime of the development, and to be registered on a national register/maps.
The development in question has a planning condition for "Provision of electric recharging points". It doesn't say they should be wired in, but any planning officer would understand the meaning of that condition. Elsewhere in the Chief Planning Officers report, it proposes that 2 x 16A for staff and 2 x 32A for visitors are installed, then "ensure that there is enough electrical capacity and suitable cabling installed to allow the cost effective installation of the above and expansion of the publically available charge points comprising 6 in total to be implemented within three years." I wonder if the fact that the 7kW point is dead suggests that there might not have been the additional capacity proposed. I certainly hope it can be sorted out though.

This is all progressive though and if Leeds is ensuring (and enforcing!) conditions and proposals like this, then it will greatly increase the availability of EV charge points given the number of developments there are at present. I am surprised the new retail park at Kirkstall Bridge hasn't got any though.

·
Daniel
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I
The development in question has a planning condition for "Provision of electric recharging points". It doesn't say they should be wired in, but any planning officer would understand the meaning of that condition. Elsewhere in the Chief Planning Officers report, it proposes that 2 x 16A for staff and 2 x 32A for visitors are installed, then "ensure that there is enough electrical capacity and suitable cabling installed to allow the cost effective installation of the above and expansion of the publically available charge points comprising 6 in total to be implemented within three years." I wonder if the fact that the 7kW point is dead suggests that there might not have been the additional capacity proposed. I certainly hope it can be sorted out though.

This is all progressive though and if Leeds is ensuring (and enforcing!) conditions and proposals like this, then it will greatly increase the availability of EV charge points given the number of developments there are at present. I am surprised the new retail park at Kirkstall Bridge hasn't got any though.
I'm surprised at the Kirkstall Development not having them - I will ask the officers concerned why not - it's geographically close to me that site, and if they had charging points I would be more inclined to visit it. My heart goes out to those who were flooded, but with climate change on the agenda perhaps it's karma the new develpment flooded on Boxing Day!

Incidentally I rang the Sainsburys at Moor Allerton to ask if they had any points - you would have thought I'd asked the call handler the answer to the universe and everything, and when they asked the manager they said they had no plans to install them. I feel an email to the chief exec there coming on :)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
That is very poor of the Wirral, in fact it's worse than that it's negligent of them. On a £65m development it's simply unforgivable - short sighted of the developer too. And Mc D's, you could surely get a few miles charge in even whilst just waiting for and eating a Big Mac! (Yuk)
Not just very poor, down right negligent.
The £65m development has cinema, hotel, theatre, shopping, several bars and restaurants, and is right on the beach/seafront. Perfect location for providing points.

Further still, Lidl within a mile of my home is having major redevelopment including the parking, guess what. No EV charging,no mention of it from the Planning Officer, no condition for one.

I can see me firing off some emails to the Planning Department. :mad:

Reactions: Spike
1 - 20 of 52 Posts