Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

We’re looking to take the plunge and go EV once our lease on an Audi Q5 ends next March.

We’ve looked at Tesla Model 3 and enjoyed the car but worried about the boot space with kids and the need for buggies etc.

The Kia E-Niro is better but still not great on space. Then I’ve noticed some deals on approved used I-Pace, not massively more expensive than the new E-Niro (around £45k). It’s a 2018 model with around 13,000 miles.
Would really appreciate thoughts on whether a used I-Pace is a good option. A little nervous about going used for EV given how fast the tech is moving, and the impact of use on the battery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I-Pace is realy premium. Best in space I think is the new Kia e-soul with great range... Or wait a little bit for Tesla Y. The problem with I-pace is that is very heavy and got high energy consum...

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I-Pace is realy premium. Best in space I think is the new Kia e-soul with great range... Or wait a little bit for Tesla Y. The problem with I-pace is that is very heavy and got high energy consum...
The base model Tesla Y has just been cancelled so by the time it arrives it might be quite expensive.

Also isn't the price difference between the Niro and used iPace about 25%? Quite a big difference!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The base model Tesla Y has just been cancelled so by the time it arrives it might be quite expensive.

Also isn't the price difference between the Niro and used iPace about 25%? Quite a big difference!
thanks, had not realised Tesla had cancelled the base model. That would probably take it out of budget.

I think the e-Niro 4 is about £39k compared with around £45k for a 2018 I-pace. Reasonable difference but wondering if it’s worth it!

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,738 Posts
The issue is the short warranty left on a used ipace versus an enormous 7 years on a new Kia. All EVs seem to have very expensive items that may fail beyond warranty and selling an EV beyond warranty is likely to be more difficult and the depreciation because of no warranty is likely to be eye watering. Tempting to get the ipace though.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
690 Posts
I've got an iPace. As a car, driver's experience, etc it's way ahead of the Niro. As an ownership experience, well mine has been perfect so far, but I'd not buy one without a warranty. In fact I'd not buy one at all, I always lease my cars but that's a different story.

Energy usage. Winter range is about 180. Summer about 220. About 83KWh usable battery.

So if you're looking at an approved used iPace from JLR, include a 3Y warranty in the deal, and lease/PCP it for three years, - why not?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Used Model S with 4 year warranty from Tesla and AP1?

Also, the Model 3 is deceptively spacious and we have managed to get a large amount of stuff into it for uni trips etc

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
thanks, had not realised Tesla had cancelled the base model. That would probably take it out of budget.

I think the e-Niro 4 is about £39k compared with around £45k for a 2018 I-pace. Reasonable difference but wondering if it’s worth it!
£36,145 before any discounts for the 4 spec.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
5,438 Posts
I wouldn’t let the warranty situation sway me too much, buy the car you like the most/fits your needs.

Warranty can be extended on most cars at relatively little cost.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Used Model S with 4 year warranty from Tesla and AP1?

Also, the Model 3 is deceptively spacious and we have managed to get a large amount of stuff into it for uni trips etc
this is a very interesting idea. Had just assumed model S was out of price range. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
this is a very interesting idea. Had just assumed model S was out of price range. Thanks!
Yes - the S prices have come down quite a bit and you get a lot of car and space for your money, especially with the Tesla warranty, plus access to the supercharger network.
Remember to use the referral link below to get free supercharger miles if you do decide you get one!

More listings on here for all Tesla models:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I've got an iPace. As a car, driver's experience, etc it's way ahead of the Niro. As an ownership experience, well mine has been perfect so far, but I'd not buy one without a warranty. In fact I'd not buy one at all, I always lease my cars but that's a different story.

Energy usage. Winter range is about 180. Summer about 220. About 83KWh usable battery.

So if you're looking at an approved used iPace from JLR, include a 3Y warranty in the deal, and lease/PCP it for three years, - why not?
Definitly go with the option above. You will wait 6 to 9 months for an e-Niro new, so better options available, . Hatchback wins over the booted M3 in most cases for families.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Bjorn's banana box tests are legengary:

Ipace has less banana box capacity than the Model S and Leaf but more than the Model 3 when the seats are folded.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks, interesting. Struggling to see how Kia e Niro does so well on this, 3 above the IPace, when ipace has larger litre capacity and very similar space.
Most likely the sloping roof of the IPace

·
Registered
989 Posts
Before the decision is made, I'd suggest comparing the vehicle ranges per 80% charge and the charging times to reach this amount.
I'm suggesting 80% as many EVs charge rather slowly after teaching 80 %, which can be tiresome if travelling a long distance with more than one recharging stop required - even if comfort stops are contemplated on the journey, the top-up charging times may well be of rather longer duration than that necessary just for comfort purposes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts