Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps and chapesses, long time leaf owner here, always had a hankering for a i3 but they were a bit too dear in 2017.
I can see used prices of i3 coming down to acceptable levels, the question is - how is the battery life in those? I won't lie I'm not looking to spend an awful lot, so early (2016 94Ah cars) are on my radar. How can I tell battery size without seeing the car ? What to look out for? I am looking at dealers cars as I am not willing to risk a BMW without a warranty again...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
If you can get the VIN the use one of the online BMW VIN decoders and they'll give you a full list of all options. Don't trust the adverts as they tend to be a bit wild in what they claim.

I haven't tried it for a while but if you're computer savvy it used to be quite easy to get VIN from reg number using chrome debugger and an online car spares site such as 247spares as they ask for the reg number and send your browser the VIN. Alternatively as you want a dealer car go and browse round the dealer and write down/take a photo of the VIN bottom left of the windscreen.

i3 battery life holds up very well. I traded-in my 2016 60Ah BMW i3 when I bought a Kona in July this year. It had just under 60,000 on the clock and I never noticed any drop in range. In fact I think the furthest I got on a single charge was 84 miles in 2019 so when the car was already over 3 years old.

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
229 Posts
In fact I think the furthest I got on a single charge was 84 miles in 2019 so when the car was already over 3 years old.
Last year my 2014 60Ah ReX managed 87.5 miles before the petrol engine started up (at 6% battery charge). The journey was Lincoln to Ipswich via the King's Lynn route (not A1/A14) - 40 mph average speed which is about all any car can do on this route.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi chaps and chapesses, long time leaf owner here, always had a hankering for a i3 but they were a bit too dear in 2017.
I can see used prices of i3 coming down to acceptable levels, the question is - how is the battery life in those? I won't lie I'm not looking to spend an awful lot, so early (2016 94Ah cars) are on my radar. How can I tell battery size without seeing the car ? What to look out for? I am looking at dealers cars as I am not willing to risk a BMW without a warranty again...
The BMW i3 had a good reputation for the battery chemistry they used all the way back to the first model year. Some reviews suggested it was the best battery chemistry on the market when the i3 was introduced, beating both Nissan and Tesla's offerings at the time. The BMW i3 uses LMO-NMC (nickel manganese cobalt). I'm sure it's been superceded by even-better-still battery chemistries by now, but it's nonetheless stood up very well by all accounts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts