Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dying to get back into an EV, these 18 months back in an ICE have been rubbish.
Had a Tekna Leaf 24 before, a used PCP one that I bought off the PCP company and sold for a profit.
Is anyone doing PCP deals on used Leaf 40s?
I've noticed cheap lease deals on the 40, but it all seems to be the N-connecta spec, I want Tekna again.
The LED headlights are worth it, as are the leather seats.
Happy to take a used low-mileage one instead of new.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
If you give it a bit of time when things get back to normal there will be a lot of used cars hitting the market and prices have gone right down.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,019 Posts
Had a Tekna Leaf 24 before, a used PCP one that I bought off the PCP company and sold for a profit.
I've noticed cheap lease deals on the 40, but it all seems to be the N-connecta spec, I want Tekna again.
Why did you go back to an ICE?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Personal opinion but I prefer my N Connecta to my Tekna.
Seats are half leather, not really a fan of full leather. Accept the headlights are pants.
But no Bose lump is better.
I do miss pro-pilot more than I thought I would but for the saving it makes up for it.
Still have ACC.

The difference on the Leaf 40 rather 24 is not so marked.
Certainly worth a look.

Reactions: JKenH

·
Registered
247 Posts
LED lights became an optional extra on the N-Connecta (after I had ordered mine). I have Pro-Pilot too on my N-Connecta (an option when you buy). Making the only difference between the two the Boss lump in the boot and the suede trim on the seats.

·
Super Moderator
11,697 Posts
Safely buying and selling a car during the coronavirus outbreak

QUOTE:

As per Government advice, you must stay indoors for all but essential trips. These are currently limited to:
• Shopping for necessities
• going to work (if you cannot work from home)
• attending medical appointments (either for yourself or someone vulnerable).

Buying and selling a car can be postponed.

If buying a car at this time is essential, for example you're a key worker and you need a car to get to work, it’s possible to buy a car without leaving your house.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obviously once all this is over (although I am a key worker), I am looking to get back into a Leaf ASAP.
I've been in an ICE for 18 months since selling my 24.
For those asking in the now closed (?!) post, I went back to an ICE because my wife refused to drive the 24 because of its looks, she found it embarrassing.
This meant borrowing her ICE for longer trips was difficult and it all became such a faff I sold it (for a healthy profit I may add).
Anyway, she likes the 40 well enough that she's said she would drive one, and lease/PCP prices seem to have come down significantly.
Although I'd like the Tekna, places are doing lease N-connecta's for around £240-£270 a month now, and that's on 10000 a year.
I'm willing to take PCP of a used Tekna though, was anyone doing them prior to the lockdown?

Oh, one more thing, the 7KW podpoint I still have for the 24 will need a different plug for the 40, yes?

·
Super Moderator
11,697 Posts
I'm willing to take PCP of a used Tekna though, was anyone doing them prior to the lockdown?
Yes, but used cars rarely have manufacturer support. New cars often have substantial discounts in retail PCP agreements.

You will probably find that a new car will cost less on PCP than a nearly new one.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Used PCP can be a good way to get additional discounts and free perks, like servicing, but always look to settle it as soon as you can.

The APRs are typically very high that they end up costing many thousands more in interest compared to other forms of borrowing. I argue that even new PCP provide little benefit with the GFV, but this is even more stark on a used PCP with such low GFVs, so will provide no benefits over an unsecured personal loan, other than artificially lower monthlies.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Used PCP can be a good way to get additional discounts and free perks, like servicing, but always look to settle it as soon as you can.

The APRs are typically very high that they end up costing many thousands more in interest compared to other forms of borrowing. I argue that even new PCP provide little benefit with the GFV, but this is even more stark on a used PCP with such low GFVs, so will provide no benefits over an unsecured personal loan, other than artificially lower monthlies.
I understand what you mean, but they're not "artificially false monthlies"
They can be the difference between being able to get one and not.
'Whole term' arguments are all very well, but if you can't afford the extra £XXX per month that gets you the better whole-term deal, it's a moot point.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
It's usually better to get a bank loan than PCP if you can and don't mind a little bit more risk. That's what I was planning to do, although that may all have been scuppered now.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I understand what you mean, but they're not "artificially false monthlies"
They can be the difference between being able to get one and not.
'Whole term' arguments are all very well, but if you can't afford the extra £XXX per month that gets you the better whole-term deal, it's a moot point.
Sure, I appreciate that, but at what point do you concede that the many thousands of pounds you are paying in extra interest is not worth the smaller monthly payment? Presumably there is a limit? I'm merely advocating comparing whole costs between different financial products to be able to make that judgement.

It would be far better to wait and save a larger 'deposit' so you can borrow less to bring the monthly cost of a personal loan in line with that of the PCP. Given the low GFV and much higher APR, it doesn't actually take a huge amount of additional 'deposit' to get there. Unlike a PCP this will actually reduce the cost, not increase it. Not to mention reduced financial risk.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's usually better to get a bank loan than PCP if you can and don't mind a little bit more risk. That's what I was planning to do, although that may all have been scuppered now.
I emailed carwow yesterday, the cheapest I can buy a new Tekna 40 for is £24975.00
Even using the Scottish government's interest free electric car loan over the maximum 6 years, that's £347.00 a month.
I can lease one for around £250 a month, without a huge deposit.
One is a figure I'm prepared to pay, the other isn't.
It's literally as black and white as that for me, no shades of grey.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Are any of those figures actually achievable? Is there a stock of undelivered cars as there is no production at present?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are any of those figures actually achievable? Is there a stock of undelivered cars as there is no production at present?
The buy price or the lease price?
The best carwow offer of £24495 was from Chorley Nissan Wigan (new but pre-registered)
Pre-reg doesn't bother me as I'd put a private plate on it.
The car lease figures are from Lings cars.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
For the lease - I can believe that there are a lot of dealer registrations available.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts