Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been lurking through a load of posts over the past week. I have found a decent spec'd used Passat GTE that i am strongly considering, but as with every purchase i make i have been going back and fourth weighing up the upfront costs and the on-going economics of the purchase.

I was just hoping someone could give me some reassurances or tell me straight if its a good or bad choice to go for this PHEV.

Car info:
Passat GTE advance
67,000 on the clock
Full service history (apparently, need to get more details when i go and see the car)
Looks to be in good nick with all the bells and whistles

My driving info:
Work commute is a 60 mile round trip mix of A/B roads and urban town centres (sometimes motorway depending on the traffic)
Charging at home is fine, at work won't be possible for the time being. May be in the future.

From the calculations i have made based on my current vehicle spend and my driving i will manage to save a little on fuel costs but my main worry is any surprise costs that may come with the car (repairs or maintenance that i may not have taken into consideration).

If anyone can give me some advice it would be hugely appreciated. I have pretty much fallen for the car, but i can't stop the niggling voices that are telling me it might be a bad move.

Thanks in advance

·
Regular contributor
303 Posts
If anyone can give me some advice it would be hugely appreciated. I have pretty much fallen for the car, but i can't stop the niggling voices that are telling me it might be a bad move.
Hi @Pseud01, I've had Passat GTE for just over 3 years (40K) on Leaseplan and will be paying for early redemption to get into a Tesla M3LR.
The only advice I'd give is check the battery performance, as you may struggle to get "real" 22 miles out of that age of car. I've been charging twice a day for 3 years and v I've definitely lost ~12% over that time. My ICE has probably only done 7000 miles as most of my 45 round trip commute is done with electrons.
Unless you can ask the dealer the ratio of petrol vs electric miles done and how much GTE mode miles, then it could make a massive difference to the maintenance costs down the line.
BTW the servicing should be a QI4 schedule every 9.3K for oil, even if the engine may never run much for that distance, however the dealers are very bad at understanding this special schedule.
If you can get charging at work it would make it hugely more worthwhile.
I've loved the car, but for me it's time to go full BV ..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @Pseud01, I've had Passat GTE for just over 3 years (40K) on Leaseplan and will be paying for early redemption to get into a Tesla M3LR.
The only advice I'd give is check the battery performance, as you may struggle to get "real" 22 miles out of that age of car. I've been charging twice a day for 3 years and v I've definitely lost ~12% over that time. My ICE has probably only done 7000 miles as most of my 45 round trip commute is done with electrons.
Unless you can ask the dealer the ratio of petrol vs electric miles done and how much GTE mode miles, then it could make a massive difference to the maintenance costs down the line.
BTW the servicing should be a QI4 schedule every 9.3K for oil, even if the engine may never run much for that distance, however the dealers are very bad at understanding this special schedule.
If you can get charging at work it would make it hugely more worthwhile.
I've loved the car, but for me it's time to go full BV ..
Thanks for getting back to me.

Is there anyway to easily identify battery grade? A menu in the settings or something?

As it's a used dealer I can't imagine they will know much about the driving history but I will try and find out.

Does the car log the services that have been performed? Can it give reminders for when the next one is needed? I have budgeted for the VW service plan and I will still be better off with this car than current one.

I would love to go full EV but the current cars don't have the range for what my budget will allow. :(

·
Regular contributor
303 Posts
Is there anyway to easily identify battery grade? A menu in the settings or something?
VW will know absolutely (battery degradation) via the Telematics system. Even the last driver should know something, but for a non VW dealer, then no chance. The only real way to know is take it for a full 100% E-mode test drive on a motorway at 60mph. See how far you get. Try to drive as carefully as possible and see how many real miles you get, when you get to 0 on the GOM.
As it's a used dealer I can't imagine they will know much about the driving history but I will try and find out.
Nah, they will not have a clue. Anything over 3years old and the telematics service will cost you (although I've not seen a bill yet).
Does the car log the services that have been performed? Can it give reminders for when the next one is needed?
Yes of course VW HQ will know all service actions, but possibly unknown for non VW dealers. You should be able to get a full service history from your prospective VW dealer though. And yes, the car can be set for indicating next service ETA mileage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Pseud01

As a Golf GTE owner I can say for certain that you wont get 30 miles to work on electricity alone. 20 miles is realistic provided that you keep the heater / aircon turned to a minimum level. There's always the hybrid mode of course but a 2.0Tdi Passat would certainly be cheaper to run.

Having said that, the Passat GTE is a very nice car indeed but so is the Tdi version. Our Golf GTE suits us well because we only use it for short journeys and we have only ever charged it at home. Having solar panes makes it free to charge most of the time as an added bonus. But for longer journeys I take the 3 Series 2.0Tdi every time. It's an Efficient Dynamics model and I can get up to 65 mpg compared to 40-45 for the Golf on petrol.

If you're worried about battery degradation, ask the owner to charge the car fully then make sure that everything is turned off. When new it should show 30 miles range, but turn the heater on and it will immediately drop to 26. Turn screen demisting to maximum and it will drop even further. So if it shows a lot less than 30 with everything switched off, take it to VW to ask the to check the state of the batteries.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you will probably be forced to go to VW for servicing and repair of anything relating to the electrics, which means paying VW prices. In some respect they are extremely complex vehicles - the heating /cooling system alone looks frightening. So out-of-warranty repairs could be very expensive

Good luck if you decide to take the plunge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts