Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first post so be kind. I have recently moved house and had already used up my grant at the previous house so I bought a used Podpoint to install at the new house. The unit has been installed and shows a blue light (has never shown any other colour). The locking pin on the type 2 socket comes down as soon as power is switched on so a cable cannot be plugged in and it can't be used. I have tried switching it off, connecting the cable then switching it back on but it still doesn't deliver a charge. I have connected it to the WiFi (Plusnet) but Pod Point say they can't see it at their end. I am on the verge of scrapping it and cutting my losses unless someone has an idea how to resolve this.
Vehicle Hood Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Computer hardware

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Did the installer do the required functional and safety testing, with a vehicle simulator box, when commissioning the unit?

I suspect not, as if they had then this problem would have been clear at that time. My advice would be to get the installer back to test it properly to determine the cause of the fault, and under no circumstances disconnect the locking pin actuator, as it may well be that this has activated as a safety measure to prevent the unit being used, if it has detected that it's in an unsafe condition.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Any chance of some larger photos, please, showing the whole of the inside of the unit?

Also, do you have a copy of the EIC from the installer? If not, then you can get a copy from them, or, at a push, from building control, as (assuming you're in England or Wales) the installer will have lodged it via whichever body they belong to. That may give some clues as to whether it was properly safety and functionally tested post-installation, and so indicate whether the fault is something that has happened between installation and now, or was a pre-existing fault (if so then the installer should have found it when testing the unit). To properly test the unit post-installation the installer must have connected a vehicle test box and run through the tests, and one of the things this does is test the function of the locking pin. That should have been noted, assuming it was done properly by the installer.

Not sure where you are, but I have a test box you can borrow if you're anywhere near Salisbury. Not hard to test a unit, and the test box allows measurements of things like the control pilot signal, can be very handy for fault finding.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,125 Posts
Blue light signifies that it is connected to WiFi. However, if you haven't managed to set that up yourself, it is possible that either you or a neighbour have a default WiFi SSID that is the same as the one it was originally set up to. Not likely but possible.

You must see if it is connected to your WiFi as with blue light showing it won't be broadcasting it's own SSID. If you know how to check on your router for all the WiFi attached devices, you should see the PodPoint on there. Quite often it will show as a device with "MySimpleLink". You need to note the IP address of that device and then you can log into the PodPoint with that IP address. It will normally show you the same page as the default one for connecting it to your WiFi.

If you do find the IP address, you can use a browser to navigate to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/profiles_config.html and then delete the profile and restart the WiFi connection process.

It's all explained here: https://d3h256n3bzippp.cloudfront.net/DSCG-UK-CB-2-Solo-Smart-Charger-Connection-Guide-CS.pdf

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the installer do the required functional and safety testing, with a vehicle simulator box, when commissioning the unit?

I suspect not, as if they had then this problem would have been clear at that time. My advice would be to get the installer back to test it properly to determine the cause of the fault, and under no circumstances disconnect the locking pin actuator, as it may well be that this has activated as a safety measure to prevent the unit being used, if it has detected that it's in an unsafe condition.
It has been installed by an independent authorised installer who carried out the required safety checks but he didn't have a vehicle simulator box available at the time so couldn't carry out that final check and wouldn't have been able to do so anyway due to the locking pin being in place.
Any chance of some larger photos, please, showing the whole of the inside of the unit?

Also, do you have a copy of the EIC from the installer? If not, then you can get a copy from them, or, at a push, from building control, as (assuming you're in England or Wales) the installer will have lodged it via whichever body they belong to. That may give some clues as to whether it was properly safety and functionally tested post-installation, and so indicate whether the fault is something that has happened between installation and now, or was a pre-existing fault (if so then the installer should have found it when testing the unit). To properly test the unit post-installation the installer must have connected a vehicle test box and run through the tests, and one of the things this does is test the function of the locking pin. That should have been noted, assuming it was done properly by the installer.

Not sure where you are, but I have a test box you can borrow if you're anywhere near Salisbury. Not hard to test a unit, and the test box allows measurements of things like the control pilot signal, can be very handy for fault finding.
Hi Jeremy, thanks for the reply. The fault (locking pin being down) was evident as soon as it was installed so it's never worked. Thanks for the offer but I'm around 200 miles away. I posted hoping that someone may have come across the same issue, the installer is coming back next week so I don't want to publicly display any of his documentation before he's had a chance to rectify it, most installers are reluctant to install used units and this sort of issue just adds to that problem.

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blue light signifies that it is connected to WiFi. However, if you haven't managed to set that up yourself, it is possible that either you or a neighbour have a default WiFi SSID that is the same as the one it was originally set up to. Not likely but possible.

You must see if it is connected to your WiFi as with blue light showing it won't be broadcasting it's own SSID. If you know how to check on your router for all the WiFi attached devices, you should see the PodPoint on there. Quite often it will show as a device with "MySimpleLink". You need to note the IP address of that device and then you can log into the PodPoint with that IP address. It will normally show you the same page as the default one for connecting it to your WiFi.

If you do find the IP address, you can use a browser to navigate to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/profiles_config.html and then delete the profile and restart the WiFi connection process.

It's all explained here: https://d3h256n3bzippp.cloudfront.net/DSCG-UK-CB-2-Solo-Smart-Charger-Connection-Guide-CS.pdf
Thanks for that, yes it is connected to my WiFi and is listed as a MySimpleLink but Pod Point customer services said it wasn't. I have sent them screen shots of the device details from the router but have not yet had a reply. I don't want to delete the profile until they've had a chance to rlook at it again.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
In that case he could not have certified the installation as safe, as without a test box there is no way to be confident that the unit is safe. Not acceptable to not do that testing at all, as the installer wouldn't even have known if basic safety provisions, like the polarity and continuity of the car connections was correct. The system could have been in a state that caused the car body to be live when plugged in, for all that installer knew.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
If it turns out thet the unit is broken, e.g. defective PCB that's going to cost £450 for Podpoint to replace, you might consider contacting Martin at evbitz.uk . He's repaired broken EVSEs incl Podpoints, by scrapping the PCB & replacing the internals (RCBO, Contactor,...) with controller made by Viridian & other commercial standard bits. Ask him to fit the newest version ECU with the latest safety addons. Cost probably around 1/2 what Podpoint would want. You'll get an EVSE that does what it says on the can, no wifi, no smarts. Just use the car's smarts for scheduling etc.

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks
If it turns out thet the unit is broken, e.g. defective PCB that's going to cost £450 for Podpoint to replace, you might consider contacting Martin at evbitz.uk . He's repaired broken EVSEs incl Podpoints, by scrapping the PCB & replacing the internals (RCBO, Contactor,...) with controller made by Viridian & other commercial standard bits. Ask him to fit the newest version ECU with the latest safety addons. Cost probably around 1/2 what Podpoint would want. You'll get an EVSE that does what it says on the can, no wifi, no smarts. Just use the car's smarts for scheduling etc.
Thanks, I've seen his posts but I already have a plan B in mind, maybe his solution will be plan C.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
My first post so be kind. I have recently moved house and had already used up my grant at the previous house so I bought a used Podpoint to install at the new house. The unit has been installed and shows a blue light (has never shown any other colour). The locking pin on the type 2 socket comes down as soon as power is switched on so a cable cannot be plugged in and it can't be used. I have tried switching it off, connecting the cable then switching it back on but it still doesn't deliver a charge. I have connected it to the WiFi (Plusnet) but Pod Point say they can't see it at their end. I am on the verge of scrapping it and cutting my losses unless someone has an idea how to resolve this.
View attachment 150336 View attachment 150337
Have you checked that there is any earthing provision for this charger? What does the test documentation show?

Are you at the stage of being able to name and shame the installer?

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you checked that there is any earthing provision for this charger? What does the test documentation show?

Are you at the stage of being able to name and shame the installer?
No, I'm not naming and shaming the installer, I'm happy that it's been properly installed. My post was to ascertain whether anyone else has had the same problem. This was a used Podpoint, the most likely scenario is that the unit is faulty and if anyone should be named and shamed it should be the toe rag that listed it on eBay as a working unit.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Hard to understand how you can be happy it's been properly installed when it clearly has never been safety and functionally tested, so could, for all you know, be lethal.

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You've made your point, for reasons that I don't wish to discuss I don't want to labour this aspect any further and would appreciate you leaving the issue there. My point of coming on this forum was to seek someone who may have had a similar issue and to find out how they resolved it. The installer did not supply the unit, I obtained it and if anyone is to "blame" for it not working it's myself for taking the seller at his word. Please don't reply further.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
You've made your point, for reasons that I don't wish to discuss I don't want to labour this aspect any further and would appreciate you leaving the issue there. My point of coming on this forum was to seek someone who may have had a similar issue and to find out how they resolved it. The installer did not supply the unit, I obtained it and if anyone is to "blame" for it not working it's myself for taking the seller at his word. Please don't reply further.

Just to be clear, you bear zero responsibility for the safety of the installation. None at all, in any shape or form. All responsibility (in law) falls upon the installer, and it is clear that the installer has not carried out his/her duty of care to ensure that the installation is safe.

It matters not one jot that you purchased the unit used, the law and regulations apply to the electrical installation as a whole, and there is a mandatory requirement (which is the law in England and Wales) that it comply with the regs.

The fact that you may well be OK with the installer not complying with the regs, or breaking the law, is neither here nor there. Nor is the possibility that the second hand unit you purchased may be defective.

·
Read Only
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 150336 View attachment 150337
Just to be clear, you bear zero responsibility for the safety of the installation. None at all, in any shape or form. All responsibility (in law) falls upon the installer, and it is clear that the installer has not carried out his/her duty of care to ensure that the installation is safe.

It matters not one jot that you purchased the unit used, the law and regulations apply to the electrical installation as a whole, and there is a mandatory requirement (which is the law in England and Wales) that it comply with the regs.

The fact that you may well be OK with the installer not complying with the regs, or breaking the law, is neither here nor there. Nor is the possibility that the second hand unit you purchased may be defective.
I asked you not to labour the point but you couldn't resist, I came on here for advice but instead I got a lecture. I trust my installer to have carried out a correct installation as far as he can but you just seem to want to crucify him for something beyond his control. I am now leaving the forum as it's clear there are people here that don't respect others decisions and judgement.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I asked you not to labour the point but you couldn't resist, I came on here for advice but instead I got a lecture. I trust my installer to have carried out a correct installation as far as he can but you just seem to want to crucify him for something beyond his control. I am now leaving the forum as it's clear there are people here that don't respect others decisions and judgement.

There was nothing at all "beyond his control" . He carries a duty of care for the safety of yourself, your family and anyone that comes on to your property that may come into contact with a conmnected part of an installation (including a plugged in EV). There is no way in law that the installer can walk away from that responsibility. You stated that he was unable to carry out the mandatory functional and safety check, as he didn't have the required test equipment. The only option the installer had was to isolate and lock off the supply to the charge point until such time as it could be tested and ensured to be safe, and it is clear from your posts that he did not do this. Leaving an electrical installation in a potentially unsafe condition is irresponsible, bordering on being negligent, and has absolutely nothing to do with you as the customer.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,125 Posts
Maybe the OP installed it him/herself or maybe the "installer" is a close friend or family member. Either way, starting this thread and then demanding that serious issues about safety be "ignored" and threatening to storm off in protest is a little but churlish.

"Please don't reply further." is a bit like a government minister telling drivers not to panic buy fuel.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Maybe the OP installed it him/herself or maybe the "installer" is a close friend or family member. Either way, starting this thread and then demanding that serious issues about safety be "ignored" and threatening to storm off in protest is a little but churlish.

If that is the case, that this is such an "off the books" installation, so has not been notified to either building control (either directly or as part of a third party certification scheme) or the DNO, then it would be irresponsible for anyone to suggest ways to make such an installation functional, and hence potentially put lives at risk, on a public forum, really.

Just to be clear, I don't have a problem at all with DIY work, as long as it's safe and compliant with the regs, I even went so far as to offer to lend out my own test box (for free) earlier in this thread. The issue I have here is that this installation cannot have been signed off as safe and notified as it's required to be by law, given that it hasn't been tested. It may or may not be safe to use if repaired, but without testing there's no way at all of knowing this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts