Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been reading these forums for a few days after realising how affordable second-hand Zoes are.

I'm 23 and haven't owned a car due to honestly not needing it. I am about to wrap up my driving lessons soon and should be ready to drive by July latest. I am now working and there is more of a need for a car (mainly public transport costs/reliability and need for more convenience).

I have said for a few years now that my first car has to be an electric car (in all honesty, I didn't believe this would actually be possible, I said it hoping wider adoption would bring the prices down).

Previously, I looked at the Nissan Leafs and assumed the Zoe would be similarly priced. Now I can see that it's possible to get a 2014-2015 Renault Zoe for roughly £5000 and possibly even a 2013-2014 for around £4000 if I'm lucky.

My original plan has been to get a petrol car for between £2000-3000 without the extras the Zoes have (newer car, sat nav, bluetooth, automatic, extra sensors, cruise control, possible rear camera)

My mileage will be around 6000 - driving around town a few miles and driving to work (20 mile return trip). My main concern is that I take a 120 mile return trip to see my partner every other weekend. There is a charger a short drive away from there where I could charge the car if need be. There are chargers near my parents' house too so it would not be an issue to travel there

In terms of everyday charging, I'm in a flat so cannot have my own charger. Luckily, I actually have a Polar rapid charger next to my flat and my workplace has 3 chargers. I walk past these both everyday with EV envy...

I have an option to take the bus to work if need be which is what I would be doing 80% of the time if I have a petrol car. I'll still use the bus from time to time.

I'm happy with a battery rental especially with the added insurance it provides.

I would be looking for a used model with at least some warranty that I can extend.

1) Based on your experiences, is this doable?

2) Should I make sure there is an EV capable dealer nearby for any issues I come across?

3) How do I know if the Zoe can do rapid charging? Is it only the ones with the continental drivetrain? (Q models?)

4) What are the common issues people have faced with these cars that I should be aware of? People have alluded to BCI and poor build quality

Either way, I think it's safe to say that my second car will be an EV

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
1. With a nearby rapid and workplace you should be fine for charging with no home charger as long as you have back up for faulty or blocked charge points.

2. You are better with a ZE dealer reasonably close.

3. Yes, Q is the rapid charge model.

4. As with all cars there have been some 'lemons'. There are also many happy owners that have had no issue's.
we have had 3 Zoe's between us here and all been great.
Big issues STOP Electric Failure DANGER

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,246 Posts
Should be cheap motoring, but just be aware of the following:
  • I imagine insurance costs may be high for a new driver, so get a quote before you buy one.
  • Repair costs can be expensive.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
A Zoe was nearly £100 more a year for me to insure than an i3. I am male and under thirty, insurance is a larf.

My Zoe has been a solid little motor, and is quite chuckable should you desire. In practice even with a 22kW Charger it’s more than serviceable on longer trips, I did 220miles yesterday no mither fully loaded with dive gear. (In the same amount of stops as I do in the Tesla on this particular route, and for the same cost nil)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the encouragement!

Should be cheap motoring, but just be aware of the following:
  • I imagine insurance costs may be high for a new driver, so get a quote before you buy one.
  • Repair costs can be expensive.
I had a look at the quotes yesterday and it was £850 with telematics (£1000+ without) for fully comp insurance whereas similarly priced 2015 vauxhall corsa is £816. I think the difference is insignificant when considering road tax.

Good point re warranty as we have heard on here those PEC/PEB issues can be pretty expensive if there's no warranty :eek:
As mentioned by @cah197

How much are we talking?

In terms of public charging, on average how much do people end up paying?

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
How much are we talking?

It was thousands to replace IIRC, but would cost nothing as long as car has extended warranty which I believe has to be bought before original warranty expires, so you need to ensure original warranty is still running if you go for a Zoe near 4 years old.

In Scotland we are very lucky to still have free charging at almost all charge points. So just £20/year for a RFID card with charge place Scotland (CYC)

Reactions: Metcast

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Good to hear you can insure for similar money to a small ICE.

As others have said repairs can be very expensive so I would recommend getting a car less than 4 years old and paying for Renault extension at end. Good value at £289 IMO.

See link below too

Used Renault Zoe - £1,000 Deposit Contribution

Reactions: Metcast

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was thousands to replace IIRC, but would cost nothing as long as car has extended warranty which I believe has to be bought before original warranty expires, so you need to ensure original warranty is still running if you go for a Zoe near 4 years old.

In Scotland we are very lucky to still have free charging at almost all charge points. So just £20/year for a RFID card with charge place Scotland (CYC)
Thanks Mo!

Good to hear you can insure for similar money to a small ICE.

As others have said repairs can be very expensive so I would recommend getting a car less than 4 years old and paying for Renault extension at end. Good value at £289 IMO.

See link below too

Used Renault Zoe - £1,000 Deposit Contribution
Thanks. Unfortunately, I won't be getting it until later this year otherwise that would have been worth looking into

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Reactions: yoh-there

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,246 Posts
You mention that your workplace has chargers - is this free to use?

You may not need home charging if you can plug in at work every day for 8 hours. :)

6,000 miles a year will be well under 2,000 kWh, so less than £600 for the year at 30p per kWh, which is the Electric Highway price.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mention that your workplace has chargers - is this free to use?

You may not need home charging if you can plug in at work every day for 8 hours. :)

6,000 miles a year will be well under 2,000 kWh, so less than £600 for the year at 30p per kWh, which is the Electric Highway price.
Unfortunately, they're not free. They're pay as you go ones but I don't know at what rate. If I subscribe to Polar plus, I should be able to use the free one for £7.85 per month with first 3 months free (£70 for the year) + cost of the times I'll be charging elsewhere.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,246 Posts
Do a search for EH 22 kW charger posts - they’re still free with an RFID card. If you’re near one that may be a win.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do a search for EH 22 kW charger posts - they’re still free with an RFID card. If you’re near one that may be a win.
Ah that's a good shout - i had no idea! I'll keep an eye out for them

I've seen rumours that there will possibly be a new Zoe with CCS support and double density batteries. If this were true, would this reduce the value of second-hand 2014-2016 models?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,548 Posts
CCS is not a rumour. It will happen in 2019.

Double density surely not. Technology is moving in that direction but not there yet (I am assuming that Renault wants to keep the form factor the same and the weight almost the same; not doing so would open a huge can of worms). But It would be fair to expect 50-ish kWh. Battery performance is on average improving 10-15% per annum.

I doubt it would depreciate the existing ZOE's deeper, but I admit things in the UK are "different" in that respect, so don't take my word on it. Second hand prices seem fair and stable and the "old" 22 kWh models seem to shift nicely and there is is such a steeply growing market.

If you are asking "should I wait until mid 2019?": I bet once the 2019 model is offered, lead times will go up again and existing owners will try to hold on. Not a viable plan. Again, IMHO.

Edit: messed up phrasing while editing.

·
Vendor
1,659 Posts
How much are we talking?

When we were replacing the PEC under warranty it was silly money (the part alone was about £4,000), however now we repair them. you generally find that as the cars come out of warranty the cost of the parts will come down in that they will other exchange parts (meaning the part is cheaper as long as the old one is returned to be repaired) for the ones that the dealers cannot repair the internals on. A Renault dealer can check on all the warranty repairs on a used Zoe and a lot of the time you will find that the PEC has already been replaced. Someone on here may have experienced differently but we have never done 2 on the same car.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I won't be getting it until later this year otherwise that would have been worth looking into
Renault Finance are going to run the Approved Used Event 3 times this year, first was in Jan, 2nd now so I am guessing the 3rd will be July/August time.

I've seen rumours that there will possibly be a new Zoe with CCS support and double density batteries. If this were true, would this reduce the value of second-hand 2014-2016 models?
Will make no difference to the used values, they were ridiculously low about 9 months ago, then jumped up very quickly and have now stabilised. It would be a 2022 at the earliest that you would get used examples of the new 2019 Zoe that could retail anywhere near £7,995, never mind the lower price of the 2014/2015 ones.

·
Registered
128 Posts
PEC/PEB?

JJ
That's the module which includes the inverter. PEC for R240, PEB for Q210. It's the most expensive piece of kit on the car, excluding the battery. List price is around £4k+ for PEC. A broken one without insurance can easily write off the car.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When we were replacing the PEC under warranty it was silly money (the part alone was about £4,000), however now we repair them. you generally find that as the cars come out of warranty the cost of the parts will come down in that they will other exchange parts (meaning the part is cheaper as long as the old one is returned to be repaired) for the ones that the dealers cannot repair the internals on. A Renault dealer can check on all the warranty repairs on a used Zoe and a lot of the time you will find that the PEC has already been replaced. Someone on here may have experienced differently but we have never done 2 on the same car.

Renault Finance are going to run the Approved Used Event 3 times this year, first was in Jan, 2nd now so I am guessing the 3rd will be July/August time.

Will make no difference to the used values, they were ridiculously low about 9 months ago, then jumped up very quickly and have now stabilised. It would be a 2022 at the earliest that you would get used examples of the new 2019 Zoe that could retail anywhere near £7,995, never mind the lower price of the 2014/2015 ones.
Thank you that's a lot of useful detail. I have no intention of getting the 2019 models, just curious whether the impact of its announcement could affect used prices towards the end of this year - so whether I should hold out a few months more. I think it's just wishful thinking. Thank you for rightfully shutting me down :). Good to hear that the approved used deals aren't a one time thing. Yes it's crazy how low prices were last year

I met a Nissan Leaf owner at the charging point near me who was really pleased with his car so far and has had a good experience around this area with 24kWh

Thank you for all the information everyone. I'm going to make a few cost comparisons and have a few months to think it all over. Will update you all on my research and choice then! Leaning quite heavily towards the Zoe at the moment :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts