Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which of the two would you choose with a 12k budget?

• 2015 Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (6.6 KW charger)

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 2015 Kia Soul EV

Votes: 6 60.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In dying to get into an EV, I signed up to Every 7 months ago and I'm still on the waiting list for a Zoe.
I thought Evezy would be the best way to trial EV ownership for a couple of months before taking the plunge, however after 7 months, I'm now just dying for an EV. That said, I don't want to rush and make the wrong decision.
Initially I wanted a leaf as there are plenty knocking around with the 6.6kw charger as I know when we go on a longer drive, that would be a real time saver.
The Kia soul has come to my attention after watching a YouTube video about one recently though. Initially I was put off by the look of the Soul, but then IMO the Leaf isn't exactly pretty.
I only have a 20 mile round trip commute to work, however I visit my parents at the weekend every two or three weeks which is a 90 mile round trip.
I'm struggling to ascertain a couple of things with both cars though, typically how much range each vehicle could realistically achieve at 5 years old. Understandably, that's going to differ depending on how their batteries have been treated I guess.
From my research, the Kia would be slightly more practical (and I think I'd prefer the higher driving position) however perhaps I could eek slightly more range out of a 30kw leaf. Would be interested in what you would choose if you'd kindly take the poll.
Many thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
I’ve run a 2015 24 Leaf and a 2018 30 Soul (which has been sat for two months waiting for the lease company to collect it, there could be quite a few 2018 ones coming into the market as the two year Drive Electric leases end, if like mine they’ve been park up a couple of months, you may need to factor in new tyres due to flat spotting, just mentioning this in case you want to go down the route of sourcing one at auction with say eco-cars. Between the two I much prefered the Soul on a drive, comfort and equipment level. I was driving a Tekna Leaf so it was on 17s compared to the Souls 16 inch tyres so that needs to be factored in.

The actual range of a 30 Leaf and a 27 Soul should be pretty similar due to the degradation that happens much quicker in a Leaf and it’s actual usable capacity being much the same from new as the Soul.

The reason I mention my Soul and others and auctions is (and I’m guessing here) that due to current climate they may well be going cheaper at auction, so I wouldn’t rule out getting into a 30 Soul for 12K. You also get the addition of AA/CarPlay in those models and a longer balance of the Kia 7 year warranty.

Hope that is helpful and good luck with your search.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve run a 2015 24 Leaf and a 2018 30 Soul (which has been sat for two months waiting for the lease company to collect it, there could be quite a few 2018 ones coming into the market as the two year Drive Electric leases end, if like mine they’ve been park up a couple of months, you may need to factor in new tyres due to flat spotting, just mentioning this in case you want to go down the route of sourcing one at auction with say eco-cars. Between the two I much prefered the Soul on a drive, comfort and equipment level. I was driving a Tekna Leaf so it was on 17s compared to the Souls 16 inch tyres so that needs to be factored in.

The actual range of a 30 Leaf and a 27 Soul should be pretty similar due to the degradation that happens much quicker in a Leaf and it’s actual usable capacity being much the same from new as the Soul.

The reason I mention my Soul and others and auctions is (and I’m guessing here) that due to current climate they may well be going cheaper at auction, so I wouldn’t rule out getting into a 30 Soul for 12K. You also get the addition of AA/CarPlay in those models and a longer balance of the Kia 7 year warranty.

Hope that is helpful and good luck with your search.
Thank you so much for taking the time for the reply, I hadn't thought about buying a car at auction, but something I'll certainly look into.
It's nice to hear the perspective of someone who has owned both vehicles.
Thanks once again.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,227 Posts
I had an early Soul EV, 2016 27kwh one. Range in winter was realistically 80-90 odd miles with pre heating and worse if you didn't. Summer was about 110. It's not a long range car at all. It's got passive thermal battery management so it will be better than the Leaf most of the time.

The 30kWh Soul is much better. I think the motor is more efficient as well as having a bit more battery. The EPA range of 93 miles for the earlier one and 111 for the later one shows the gain. That's highway speed not trundling around at 20 mph speed as well.

The cross over was late 2016 or so as I had the original model and then the uprated one started October ish I think for deliveries. An early first registered 2018 car is more likely to be the 30kWh but you still have to make sure.

Now there's been a youtube video I suspect prices will bubble up again!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had an early Soul EV, 2016 27kwh one. Range in winter was realistically 80-90 odd miles with pre heating and worse if you didn't. Summer was about 110. It's not a long range car at all. It's got passive thermal battery management so it will be better than the Leaf most of the time.

The 30kWh Soul is much better. I think the motor is more efficient as well as having a bit more battery. The EPA range of 93 miles for the earlier one and 111 for the later one shows the gain. That's highway speed not trundling around at 20 mph speed as well.

The cross over was late 2016 or so as I had the original model and then the uprated one started October ish I think for deliveries. An early first registered 2018 car is more likely to be the 30kWh but you still have to make sure.

Now there's been a youtube video I suspect prices will bubble up again!
The video covering the VIN tenth digit re 27/30 identification?

F is 27; J is 30. The oft quoted chrome speaker rings is apparently not 100%.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
For just a bit more you can get a 41kWh Zoe?

Higher than average mileage, but I checked on the AutoTrader valuation and Renault Warranty website and both seem to confirm that this is a battery owned 'i' model. Would ask for confirmation from the dealer though.

I also arranged to have my car through PCP, but then settled the finance the next day, as they tend to offer deposit contributions and free servicing, so would ask about that. I got £1,000 off and 2 free services on mine this way.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,227 Posts
Warranty is only 3 years on most 2017 and on cars so that's another £300 a year you have to pay out to get any protection. If it's not already been extended then you can't have it at all.

Edit: just checked. It was January 2018 when it changed. I've lost a year!

Range is better but I'm not sure an out of warranty zoe would be anything other than a risky idea even though the range is much better than the Soul.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Warranty is only 3 years on most 2017 and on cars so that's another £300 a year you have to pay out to get any protection. If it's not already been extended then you can't have it at all.

Range is better but I'm not sure an out of warranty zoe would be anything other than a risky idea even though the range is much better than the Soul.
It's 4 years. This one was registered on 23/06/2017, so has a warranty until 22/06/2021.

It's then £289 to extend for a 5th year, and then I believe around £319(?) for every subsequent year until it is 10years old.

OP - these will happily do 120-170miles winter to summer. I average 150miles all year round.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,691 Posts
Having had the 27kw and 30kw Soul they would get my vote. Basicly if you like the look of them its 7 year warranty will give you peace of mind. Jonathon Porterfield of ecocars could probably source a good one from auction for your budget for just a £300 fee.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Initially I wanted a leaf as there are plenty knocking around with the 6.6kw charger as I know when we go on a longer drive, that would be a real time saver.
Although a 6.6kW charger is preferable to the lower power one for charging at home, if you were going on a longer trip you would be using a rapid DC CHAdeMO charger to top up, so the rating of the on-board charger would be irrelevant.

(I don't know the Soul, so I can't vote in the poll without bias :))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts