Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone, im looking into buying and EV, but dont have much money.
I do 40kms per day, so i need a battery lease with at least 13000km.
Im presented at the moment with 2 options (both paying in 120 months),

1st:
Renault Zoe Intense 240, from 2016, with 1135 Kms, for 14.900 Eur, but with a battery lease, that i would have to pay at least 90 Eur per month.

2nd:
Nissan Leaf Acenta with gps, from 2016, with 107k Kms, for 15.900 Eur, there is no battery lease on this car.
The problem is, i need credit for the car, and i dont want/cant pay more than 210 Eur a month for everything.

I know that ill have to pay 190 Eur a month for the Leaf, with a 2k down payment, the dealership did the calculations for me.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd go for Leaf and no battery lease

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Thanks for your opinion, i was leaning towards the leaf aswell, but the zoe with only 1k Kms is hard to pass, but i think its out of budget for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have just checked and on the leaf i have 11/12 bars of battery degradation.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
How much warranty is there with the Leaf?

As you will be using finance to buy the car, is it safe to assume you won't have much spare money to go towards any repairs if the Leaf has a fault?

You could end up with a large repair bill, paying a €190 a month for a car that doesn't drive and a car you can't sell....

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
How long are you paying over? That Leaf payment looks like it's over 80 months or so. If it is you have to factor in what that Leaf is going to be like in another 6 years - when it's 9 years old. With no battery cooling in Portugal I would not fancy it's chances of having a reasonable range and resale is going to be almost nothing.
On the other hand the battery rental on the Zoe is likely to take up a similar amount of money (sometimes far more) to the fuel cost of an ice.
Did you get the Ampera/Volt over there? At 40kms per day it would be able to do it all on electric but it doesn't have battery hire and isn't likely to be junk by the time you come to sell it.
A Kia Soul would also be a better option if you can get one for the right price and remember you can add the money for the battery rental to the finance instead if that helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much warranty is there with the Leaf?

As you will be using finance to buy the car, is it safe to assume you won't have much spare money to go towards any repairs if the Leaf has a fault?

You could end up with a large repair bill, paying a €190 a month for a car that doesn't drive and a car you can't sell....
The dealer assured me that they would take the Leaf to a Nissan shop to get it checked, before me buying it, they also have a 24 month warranty on my purchase.

As far as i know i think that Leafs warranties were 8 years for the battery, but im not sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long are you paying over? That Leaf payment looks like it's over 80 months or so. If it is you have to factor in what that Leaf is going to be like in another 6 years - when it's 9 years old. With no battery cooling in Portugal I would not fancy it's chances of having a reasonable range and resale is going to be almost nothing.
On the other hand the battery rental on the Zoe is likely to take up a similar amount of money (sometimes far more) to the fuel cost of an ice.
Did you get the Ampera/Volt over there? At 40kms per day it would be able to do it all on electric but it doesn't have battery hire and isn't likely to be junk by the time you come to sell it.
A Kia Soul would also be a better option if you can get one for the right price and remember you can add the money for the battery rental to the finance instead if that helps.
Im going to be paying over a 120 month period.
Im not quite sure what you mean if i got the Ampera/volt, i dont have a OBD2 sensor, so i cant use Leaf spy, to check on SoH.

A Kia Soul EV is over 20k Eur in Portugal, thats too much for me.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Im going to be paying over a 120 month period.
Im not quite sure what you mean if i got the Ampera/volt, i dont have a OBD2 sensor, so i cant use Leaf spy, to check on SoH.

A Kia Soul EV is over 20k Eur in Portugal, thats too much for me.
At 120 months you would be better off to forget the Leaf. By 13 years old it will struggle to get itself out of the driveway let alone work as a car. The Ampera was a Vauxhall and it had a sister car called the Chevy Volt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yhe we have the Opel Ampera, most of the ones i can find are from 2012/2013 with arround 150k Kms, how well do these preserve the battery? since these cars are already 7 years old.

They are arround 15000 Eur, and me having it for another 10 years, do you think it will hold up?

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
UK people complain that a 2016 Zoe 22kwh at €9000 is over priced and would have a heart attack if you said it was €15K :D

I wouldn't buy a Leaf that already has a degraded battery, especially in Portugal on long term finance. At over 100km it is probably close to losing another bar and you have limited warranty left - 160km is limit.

Maybe try and find a cheaper 2016 Zoe with more km as it doesn't impact battery warrant if you rent it.

Are there any EV incentives in Portugal - free parking, etc?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
UK people complain that a 2016 Zoe 22kwh at €9000 is over priced and would have a heart attack if you said it was €15K :D

I wouldn't buy a Leaf that already has a degraded battery, especially in Portugal on long term finance. At over 100km it is probably close to losing another bar and you have limited warranty left - 160km is limit.

Maybe try and find a cheaper 2016 Zoe with more km as it doesn't impact battery warrant if you rent it.

Are there any EV incentives in Portugal - free parking, etc?
I'll see if i can find a used Zoe for "cheap", and go with a battery lease, that way i make sure ill get a battery replacement in the 10 years "for free".
Cars in Portugal are really expensive, due to taxes etc, and yes there are EV incentives.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Might be worth checking the Leaf30 for battery controller upgrade as that might push it from 11 bars onto 12.

Having said that I wouldn't go for high mileage leaf. If day either up your budget so you can accommodate higher SoH lower mileage Leaf30

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think it would be a tremendous effort to buy a used EV for just a 40km per day. It's not worth it in my point of view.
I have a 30Kwh Leaf from 2016 which is not enough for me if I want to go for a longer trips around the country, hence why I want to sell it now.

I'm not sure where do you live in Portugal and how old are you, but it might be worth considering buying a electric bicycle just for commuting and have a normal ICE car just for the weekends with the family.

By the way, I'm Portuguese living in the UK.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Is a 10 year car loan typical in Portugal?

Seems a good way to pay a lot of interest.

€190/mth plus €2k deposit = nearly €25,000!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have found a 2014 Zoe Life, for 9k € , 30k KMs, with a battery lease. Even though it doesnt have any extras, it fits my needs, and its way cheaper than these other options i presented here.
I'm 24, and have been wanting a EV for a really long time (since tesla roadster gen1).

Since this car is cheaper the monthly payments are "low", and i pay lower interest in it.

I live in Porto, and occasionally in the weekends i do 120 KM roundtrip to the interior of the country, and also like to travel arround the north area of Portugal, which a EV is great for.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
I have found a 2014 Zoe Life, for 9k € , 30k KMs, with a battery lease. Even though it doesnt have any extras, it fits my needs, and its way cheaper than these other options i presented here.
I'm 24, and have been wanting a EV for a really long time (since tesla roadster gen1).

Since this car is cheaper the monthly payments are "low", and i pay lower interest in it.

I live in Porto, and occasionally in the weekends i do 120 KM roundtrip to the interior of the country, and also like to travel arround the north area of Portugal, which a EV is great for.
Looks a good Zoe find.

I believe there is good EV charging in Portugal - is that true? Is it free or cheap to charge?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ampera\Volt are much better at looking after their battery than the Leaf. I recently sold our 2011 Leaf (after 5 years ownership) and bought a second Volt. I did this because the Leaf battery had degraded to 75%. It only cost me £2.5k to switch to a 2012 Volt. The new Volt has done 110k miles, but has no visible degradation; it still does 40 miles per charge. This is because the battery is thermally managed, so degrades less. It's also because the battery is 16kWh, but only 10kWh is usable, so any degradation is hidden.

Plus you can use the full 10kWh without any worry of running out of charge, as you have the petrol engine as backup.
I'd highly recommend the Ampera\Volt. It's the best compromise out there, as long as you only need four seats.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts