Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning Everyone,

I'm new on here so I'm sorry if this question has already been asked.

I'm thinking about buying an approved used Zoe for a Renault main dealer, But...

I'm not sure which one to get because I'm not sure of the charging rates

as far as my untrained eye can see there are 3 versions

Early zoe 22kwh (not sure on charge rate)
Zoe 22kwh 'Rapid charge'
'16> 40kwh zoe

• Have I missed any out?
  • Is there any cheats (other than the name!) as to which model is which for example, was the 'rapid charge' not available on the expression spec?
  • What the R and Q number relate to (R90/Q90)
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The R initially related to Range and showing in KM. The Q for Quick charge. The R90/Q90 now relate to the 90 power output.
I'm to believe that the model with the name Intens has the Continental Q210 motor.

Here is a visualisation image. The R240 Renault built motor assembly has the air filter and intake to the rear.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
728 Posts
All early ZOEs were 43kW 'quick' capable. Then Renault introduced their own motor which was only capable of 22kW maximum charge rate; these are the R models. You could still opt for the Q version (with the original Continental motor) by paying a premium. Supposedly, the R motor is more efficient, but there has been little evidence for this.

Looking under the bonnet, the Q and R models are very different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
WOW, that was quick, Thanks Colin.

I have a 70ish mile daily round trip commute, 20-30miles on A-roads, the remainder on the M6 which is usually at a standstil.

I think I read somewhere on here that the Rapid Charge ones are meant more for frequent charging and more motorway style use is that true? or would a 'standard' car be just as good?

Last, stupid question. Can you plug a standard 22kw charge rate car into a rapid post in an emergency? will it throttle back the charge rate ? or will the car only draw as much as it can handle?

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
728 Posts
Plugging a 22kW ZOE into a rapid charger will provide 22kW charging. The car always draws as much as possible, subject to communication between car and charger.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,790 Posts
70 miles is pushing it a bit in winter. If you have a charger at your destination, it's of course totally no issue. If not, you want to consider how to deal with that. Suppose in cold winter you'd do 60, then somewhere along the trip you need to top up 10 miles before getting home and do regular charging, which is not much. On a 22 that would take you roughly 10 minutes. It's up to you if you want to make that 5 opting for a Q model. And assuming a decent rapid somewhere aong the route of course.

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,742 Posts
I typed this reply out a couple of hours now but I've just noticed it didn't post! Sod it, here goes:

Probably the easiest way to explain it like this:

The new Zoe has roughly 200 mile range. The old Zoe has roughly 100 mile range. Since the new Zoe only came out this year, anything 16 plate or older is an old Zoe.

Now, the old Zoes come in two flavours (two motors), Q210 and R240. The Q210 is capable of charging at a maximum rate of 43 kWh, whereas the R240 is limited to 22 kWh. Renault say, however, that, that at the expense of not being able to rapid charge, the R240 has a slightly longer range than the Q210. Being the owner of both models, I can confidently say that the Q210 has no less range than the R240 whatsoever. I have tested this extensively. In my experience, range is perfectly identical.

As for the new Zoe, I don't own one so I don't really feel confident to comment.

Reactions: MSEV

·
1,742 Posts
70 miles is pushing it a bit in winter.
Agreed, but on A roads / slow moving motorway traffic I'd say he'd be fine.

For your usage, I suggest taking either Q210 or R240 depending on what you find. I don't believe you need the 43kW charging. What I'm saying is, Q or R shouldn't be your deciding factor.

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,131 Posts
Just a point to note. For your journey, if you need to charge at a motorway MSA, you will better of going for a 'Q' model (or of course the 'R90' model, which should make the whole journey without needing charging if you start out fully charged)

The R240 will only take a charge at 22 kWh and in the 30 minutes allowed you will only get 11 kWh charge at the most. Whilst the Q210 will take on (max) 21.5 kWh (all things working as they should in both cases).

·
1,742 Posts
But if it's a 70 mile round trip and if, in the depths of winter, he feels he won't make it without a charge on the return journey, 30 minutes @ 22kW would get him to, at the very least, 50% on an R240 - more than ample to get him home.

That's why I say, for @BertChalmers 's case, R240 or Q210 shouldn't be the deciding factor. Either would be fine.

·
1,742 Posts
Don't buy a 22kw. In winter you will soon get bored of waiting at a rapid charger for 1hr for 60 miles range. That also now costs £12 on ecotricity
You can't have read the OP.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
742 Posts
Well it seems that the £6 charge at EH will reduce on June 22nd according to a post on the general charging forum.

·
Registered
396 Posts
But if it's a 70 mile round trip and if, in the depths of winter, he feels he won't make it without a charge on the return journey, 30 minutes @ 22kW would get him to, at the very least, 50% on an R240 - more than ample to get him home.
Which in the deep depths of winter would get him 25-30 miles range for £6. He would be better off in a diesel. No one in their right mind should buy the 22kw model, it was pointless and stupid. On the used market the q210 and r240 are the same price.

·
1,742 Posts
Which in the deep depths of winter would get him 25-30 miles range...
Which would get him home. Hence, for @BertChalmers , either a Q210 or an R240 would equally suit him and he should buy whichever is the best car for him irrespective of motor, since it is irrelevant for his circumstances.

Reactions: BogieMan
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.