Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got experience of using a 12m Type2 cable for home charging?

I am looking to get a 7.2KW home charger installed for my e-Niro which should arrive in the next couple of weeks. Ideally, I would mount the charger on the garage wall – should be relatively straightforward – and then run a Type 2 cable to the car. The drive to the garage is very steep, and I don’t use the drive for parking the car – instead it’s parked further away on level ground. This would mean I would need a 12m cable to get to the car. I was thinking of getting a 7.5m cable with the charger (or an untethered charger with a 7.5m cable), and then using the 5m cable that comes with the car (it’s got a 280 mile range, so it will be rare that I will need to have the cable in the car and it can stay with the charger most of the time). However, my installer is saying that the cable length should be about 8m maximum, or else there is too much voltage drop, which will cause a problem. He is suggesting digging trenches and installing a post to get the charger nearer to the car – which sounds very expensive and disruptive to me.

I’m surprised that companies sell 12m cables if these don’t work. Does anyone have any experience of this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can't comment on the voltage drop, but you can't combine 2 charging cables together. So your idea of a 7.5m + the original 5m won't work.

·
Registered
563 Posts

I am looking to get a 7.2KW home charger installed for my e-Niro which should arrive in the next couple of weeks. Ideally, I would mount the charger on the garage wall – should be relatively straightforward – and then run a Type 2 cable to the car. The drive to the garage is very steep, and I don’t use the drive for parking the car – instead it’s parked further away on level ground. This would mean I would need a 12m cable to get to the car. I was thinking of getting a 7.5m cable with the charger (or an untethered charger with a 7.5m cable), and then using the 5m cable that comes with the car (it’s got a 280 mile range, so it will be rare that I will need to have the cable in the car and it can stay with the charger most of the time). However, my installer is saying that the cable length should be about 8m maximum, or else there is too much voltage drop, which will cause a problem. He is suggesting digging trenches and installing a post to get the charger nearer to the car – which sounds very expensive and disruptive to me.

I’m surprised that companies sell 12m cables if these don’t work. Does anyone have any experience of this?
Instead of digging a trench, what about running an armoured cable that is simply clipped to something (end on the floor, side fench/wall or something) ?
That would be much cheaper

Reactions: dparr59

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
my installer is saying that the cable length should be about 8m maximum, or else there is too much voltage drop, which will cause a problem.
Your installer is wrong. A 7kW cable is 6mm2 for each of the power wires so is likely to be the same as the cable from the consumer unit to the charge point. It will however be heavy and awkward to handle.
As already suggested you cannot join two type 2 leads together, there is a short set of pins to prevent it.
The suggestion of the armoured cable along a fence or wall sounds sensible if such a support is available. You need to take advice on Earthing arrangements so far from the house. If it is close to the public I'd be concerned about people feeling that they could interfere with it - there's something psychological about proximity to a building that prevents people.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts

There is no absolute technical limit for the flexible cable such that 8m is OK and 12m is not.

6mm2 cables will not provide such a massive voltage drop over the 4m increment that the system goes from being OK to not OK. Even of this was the case, the installer could increase the feeder cable size to 10mm2 cores to minimise the voltage drop on the fixed wiring.

The extra post MAY have the benefit of increased convenience but only you can assess whether this in fact would be the case and whether the additional cost is worth it.

By the way, I have a 10m long cable, it works fine.

We can provide calcs if you need.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
They probably use thicker copper cores to keep the volt drop down.
As a result they will probably cost more and be a bit thicker and harder to handle.
No, a 12m charging cable will have the same construction as a 5m cable

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
OP, ask the installer for a copy of the voltage drop calcs for the TOTAL system and we will advise if there is any BS at play.

But as already stated, you can't join flexible cables together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't comment on the voltage drop, but you can't combine 2 charging cables together. So your idea of a 7.5m + the original 5m won't work.
Can you help me understand please. All of the cables I have looked at seem to have a male at one end, and a female at the other. e.g. here

I had assumed that the untethered wall charger had a female socket and the car had a male socket - so it would therefore be possible to connect cables together? What am I missing?

·
Registered
138 Posts

Hi,
I have not seen a 12m cable but do use a 10m cable from my un-tethered 7.2Kw Zappi to a holster on the front wall of my house, just in front of where the car is parked. This works fine with hint of excessive volts drop. I suggest it depends on the quality and core size of the cable. There are a few 16amp type 2 cables around. make sure you avoid these and go for a good 32A one. I can recommend EVbitz here EVSE Kit - Type 2

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Can you help me understand please. All of the cables I have looked at seem to have a male at one end, and a female at the other. e.g. here

I had assumed that the untethered wall charger had a female socket and the car had a male socket - so it would therefore be possible to connect cables together? What am I missing?
There are various sellers who will manufacture a bespoke cable at whatever length you need, 12.5m if that is what you need.

Getting pack to your question re joining the cables: the cables have a thick earth, thick neutral and thick phase wire and pins/sockets at each (one phase only for your single phase application). There is also a control pilot connection, small wire/small pin/small socket. Plus proximity pilots. These pilot connections re defined in the standards at certain lengths to ensure main current is isolated before a socket plug is separated, otherwise you would get sparking/arcing danger of electrocution etc. The pin lengths prevent you extending charging cables for very good reasons.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Hi,
I have not seen a 12m cable but do use a 10m cable from my un-tethered 7.2Kw Zappi to a holster on the front wall of my house, just in front of where the car is parked. This works fine with hint of excessive volts drop. I suggest it depends on the quality and core size of the cable. There are a few 16amp type 2 cables around. make sure you avoid these and go for a good 32A one. I can recommend EVbitz here EVSE Kit - Type 2
EVBitz is a great supplier and can make you a custom length charging cable, if that is what you need.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Let's say the the outlet on the charge point is type Fa and the inlet on the car is type Ma. The cable is equipped with an Mb at one end, which mates with Fa, and Fb at the other end which mates with Ma. So a single cable connection is Fa <- Mb .... Fb -> Ma

If you connect two cables together you have Fa <- Mb .... Fb <- Mb .... Fb -> Ma. There is no connection when you plug Mb into Fb because they have shorter pins and don't mate.

(Took me a while to work out the logic of that :) )

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
As above. Also the connection would not be waterproof and hence couldn't be left outside, let alone on the ground, in our normal weather even if you bodged a connection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let's say the the outlet on the charge point is type Fa and the inlet on the car is type Ma. The cable is equipped with an Mb at one end, which mates with Fa, and Fb at the other end which mates with Ma. So a single cable connection is Fa <- Mb .... Fb -> Ma

If you connect two cables together you have Fa <- Mb .... Fb <- Mb .... Fb -> Ma. There is no connection when you plug Mb into Fb because they have shorter pins and don't mate.

(Took me a while to work out the logic of that :) )
Thanks for the explanation. I understand now. Interestingly, I see that you can get cables designed specifically as extension cables (here) but I now see that these are not the same as a standard cable.
I've asked EVBitz for a quote.
So I think that means I am looking for an untethered wall point plus a 12m cable. I'll probably look for a new installer, because he is insisting that anything longer than 8m won't work.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts