Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think I saw in one of Bjorn's vids that the Niro actually has a domestic supply socket located in the boot, in the Korean car.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
A cheap 12v DC to 240v AC inverter with croc clips onto the 12v DC battery will provide a 13 amp socket to plug a long extension into and provide a few lights using table lamps during blackouts but won't run anything using much power. A more expensive pure sine wave model will run sensitive electronics like TVs, PCs, laptops, and routers to also stay online but will need a network of cables around the house to power from that one source. It's also best to switch the car on so that the traction battery keeps the small12v DC battery topped up, especially if the outage is prolonged.

Other things like power for kettles, freezers and central heating pumps are best covered by more conventional emergency methods burning oil products in a generator.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So,

1. buy a 12v to 240v invertor
2. charge up at a free vend charger
3. drive back and hook your house (appliances) to the invertor

....profit from free electricity!

hmm, silly idea but typical house uses 10 kWh per day, might not be as totally mad as it sounds !

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I guess they'd have to be careful, as people might try and plug in back into the grid, and also overload precautions.
I suspect this is the main concern. Just plugging it back into a mains socket to power the house is a recipe for disaster on all fronts.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
So,

1. buy a 12v to 240v invertor
2. charge up at a free vend charger
3. drive back and hook your house (appliances) to the invertor

....profit from free electricity!

hmm, silly idea but typical house uses 10 kWh per day, might not be as totally mad as it sounds !
Roll on to May 2019 and if I get on the OVO V2G trial that's exactly what I am going to try as I have a free ultra charger down the road! - i'll even use my free Polar membership too rub it in lol :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Roll on to May 2019 and if I get on the OVO V2G trial that's exactly what I am going to try as I have a free ultra charger down the road! - i'll even use my free Polar membership too rub it in lol :)
I had kind of planned to do similar, but they have a fair use policy meaning you have to import a decent amount to the car too :(

21 - 27 of 27 Posts