Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being told my e-Niro won't be ready till July/August, I've just had a call saying it will be on June 20th! I've ony just started getting quotes for home charging points. In the meantime, is it okay to use the granny charger with an outdoor (caravan type) extension cable? I'm thinking of going with a Zappi as I have PV panels - is it worth the extra expense/any helpful comments about this?

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
What is the continuous current rating for the lead and the circuit you are going to plug it into? It'll pull a continuous 10Amps, but apart from that no problems as long as you keep everything dry.
The Zappi is excellent, also consider the ChargedEV Smart+.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've often used a caravan type extension with my GL. I think most are rated at 16A (mine certainly is) but of course you'll need a 13A socket adapter for the granny lead to plug into (and possibly another adapter at the other end ?) so you need to check that's up to the job too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the continuous current rating for the lead and the circuit you are going to plug it into? It'll pull a continuous 10Amps, but apart from that no problems as long as you keep everything dry.
The Zappi is excellent, also consider the ChargedEV Smart+.
I'm not sure how I can check the current rating for the lead and circuit (being a bit ignorant of ellectrics!) but the cable is thicker than a normal cable reel with a 13amp fuse if that's anything to go by. I've got someone coming round tomorrow to quote me for a Zappi but I'll certainly look into the ChargedEV Smart+ as I've not heard of that one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've often used a caravan type extension with my GL. I think most are rated at 16A (mine certainly is) but of course you'll need a 13A socket adapter for the granny lead to plug into (and possibly another adapter at the other end ?) so you need to check that's up to the job too.
Eric - I have a 3-pin plug on on e end and a 3-pin socket at the other if that's what you are referring to?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The usual caravan lead is Commando plug to socket rated 16A. Your lead hopefully is a 13A continuous rated lead, show to the electrician coming round. Make sure the socket it plugs into is good, if possible have someone check its good for continuous use. On first use anyway check the temperature of the plug tops every 1/2 hour, if one is heating up, stop and investigate or call an electrician, This is the main problem - older sockets or poor wiring can cause overheating!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I've got a couple of electricians coming round to give quotes so I'll ask them to check the cable while they're here.

·
Registered
734 Posts
In the UK the standard orange caravan lead is 2.5mm2 cable and is oversized mainly for robustness. On campsites the supply is usually up to 16 amps and the plugs and sockets are the blue 16 amp commando style. It is more than adequate for the granny lead but of course needs a commando to 13 amp plug/socket adaptor at each end.
I have a caravan lead which I use for the motorhome which is on our drive. The garage end has a 13 amp plug adaptor which I plug into an RCD socket when using. I also carry a commando to 13 amp socket in the car in case I need to charge at golf clubs. I have tried this with the granny lead plus caravan lead and it works fine except, of course, there are two adaptors so it does introduce additional safety concerns - weather protection, proper insertion of the plugs etc.
As others have said, make sure everything is in good condition and check periodically that the various plugs and sockets are not overheating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that - I now think my cable should be adequate until I get a charge point installed.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
On campsites the supply is usually up to 16 amps and the plugs and sockets are the blue 16 amp commando style.
The crucial bit being "up to" ! Some years since I last used our caravan but ISTR most sites had a far lower limit than 16A But that's a diversion, everything else in ColA's description of a 'caravan lead' is spot on.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
A far better solution is to modify the granny so that the primary plug is a Commando CEE 16A plug. Several recent posts on how to do this. It should cost peanuts, even paying an electrician to do the job. Much better all round.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
A far better solution is to modify the granny so that the primary plug is a Commando CEE 16A plug.
Only if you won't need to use it elsewhere from a 13A socket.
Yes, you can use a 13A plug to CEE adaptor but you've then lost the overheat protection at the 13A connection which is potentially hazardous.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
503 Posts
My only gripe about the Zappi is the sheer size of the thing. It's a massive bright plastic lump. I don't want the charge point to be a feature of my house, I just want it to exist. Would be better if they offered the smarts on an internal box and the outdoor socket was reduced to only being a socket, and sized accordingly.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
A far better solution is to modify the granny so that the primary plug is a Commando CEE 16A plug. Several recent posts on how to do this. It should cost peanuts, even paying an electrician to do the job. Much better all round.
Bear in mind that granny charges sometimes have thermistors in the plug for temperature monitoring - not really necessary with a 16A, but if you just chop them, it may not work.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Worth noting that the e-Niro has reduced level charging options.
So with the 10A granny charger you can drop it down from 2.2kW to 1.7kW or 1.1kW.
Controllable via a car setting.

Edit: I've used this to keep under my solar PV generation. It's like a really bad Zappi :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Worth noting that the e-Niro has reduced level charging options.
So with the 10A granny charger you can drop it down from 2.2kW to 1.7kW or 1.1kW.
Controllable via a car setting.

Edit: I've used this to keep under my solar PV generation. It's like a really bad Zappi :)
Many Granny chargers also allow current limits to be set

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Only if you won't need to use it elsewhere from a 13A socket.
Yes, you can use a 13A plug to CEE adaptor but you've then lost the overheat protection at the 13A connection which is potentially hazardous.
No, you use a thicker conductor on the CEE to BS1363 adaptor plus an air cooled thermoset plug and you have eliminated all the thermal issues with the granny moulded plug. The temperature monitoring attempts to stick a band aid rather addressing underlying problem.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Many Granny chargers also allow current limits to be set
Yes that is correct, however the e-Niro granny charger isn't one of them. Controlled by the car instead.
Can also ramp it down on the type 2 connection but no where near as much (4kW min on a 7.2kW IIRC).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts