Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about a new use for my redundant tax disc holder after 1st October when the UK no longer requires a tax disc to be displayed.

What I have in mind is to generate a QR Code which I'd then put on a disc so fellow EV drivers could scan with their smart phones and contact me if they need to unplug or get me to return to my vehicle.

The first question has to be is do many fellow EVers even know what a QR code is and how to read it?

If you were looking to unplug an unattended car would you find it useful to have something like this to use as a means for texting or calling the absent driver?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Most people don't. This would be redundant with ChargeBunp which is in beta already.

Why have people print out QR (or other) codes, have people have to scan them (through glass, perhaps in far from ideal situations like rain, snow, frost) when there's a much easier way?

There already is such a thing out there, but I can see all those downsides (and more) which is why I came up with the concept of ChargeBump and it's shaping up nicely already.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Too many steps, plus I have a natural aversion to QR codes having seen their rise in the marketing world QR EVERYTHING! :D ;)

Stickers and bits for ChargeBump are a very good idea, and something already being considered. From little tiny ones to more overt ones, got to spread the word or these ideas just won't work. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy to give chargebump a try. I see your point about QR codes Paul, hence my question about whether it's worthwhile using them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts