Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Using a standard Socket to charge phev instead of wallbox

753 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  2036 
#1 ·
Have a slight dilema and want to put it out there see everyones views.

Need to provision a way to do slow charge for my second car which is a phev. Already have a main point which is 32A. But that is for our Pure EV. Plus parking means its akward to use it all the time, plus I can see clashes when both are needed.

The garage where the phev parks next to is on its own 32AMP ring and only has a freezer that really runs 24/7 that draws any current. Only remaining things are a CCTV harddrive and usual network things like a router and switch,

Question is for the times when speed is not needed and I'm happy with the 5 hour charge would a decent outdoor socket added to the ring be sufficient to trickle charge the phev. While I have socket just inside the door always been against trapping cables under a garage door.

#3 ·
Sounds ideal. Pulling 10Amps on a 32Amp circuit with only a low usage at present is good.
While I have socket just inside the door always been against trapping cables under a garage door.
A number of people choose to use an indoor socket (for better cooling of the plug than an enclosed outdoor socket) and the brick of the "granny" cable indoors (to keep it dry - they are not immersion rated waterproof) and notch the door frame to allow the cable past without being damaged.

#4 ·
Sounds ideal. Pulling 10Amps on a 32Amp circuit with only a low usage at present is good.

A number of people choose to use an indoor socket (for better cooling of the plug than an enclosed outdoor socket) and the brick of the "granny" cable indoors (to keep it dry - they are not immersion rated waterproof) and notch the door frame to allow the cable past without being damaged.

I did think of that as well but its a roller door so no option for that I think a extra large external single socket will be the key. Area is very shielded so want be an issue to keep the box dry and most seem to be splash rated ip44 or higher so shoudl be fine.

thank you all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.