Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought the new Peugeot e-208 and as standard it included an on board charger of 7kw singlephase. There was an option for 11kw OBC 3phase but didn’t opt for it. Now, I am planning to buy the cable. Does a threephase cable make a difference compared to a single phase cable, given that my OBC is single phase 7kw? And what is my maximum AC speed I will get?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Before you go wasting your money check first that your car will accept the 3 phase charge.
For what you say your on-board charge is limited to 1 phase 7kw so doesn't matter what you plug to it it will not go above 7kw (6.6kw)

·
Registered
17,461 Posts
If you use a three phase cable on a single phase supply nothing will be any different.

There's a possible future benefit if you ever get a car that can take 3-phase, but this is likely to come with its own cable.

I'd save your money and just enjoy the car. 7 Kw is enough for most.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Stick with a single phase 7kw cable.
How much are they charging for it as you can get good BMW ones online cheap enough these days

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
a 3 phase cable wil have 5 cores (3 phase, neutral, earth) while a 1 phae will have 3 cores (phase, neutral, earth)
This the feed to the charger.
Add 2 control cores for the cable that connects to the car. (P1, P2).

If you look into the charger port in the car you can see if there are metal connectors for phase 2 and 3 (although this can be present but not connected). The phase connectors are the 3 in line in the middle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have found they are almost the same price. So I might as well go for the three phase cable since it still works ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a 3 phase cable wil have 5 cores (3 phase, neutral, earth) while a 1 phae will have 3 cores (phase, neutral, earth)
This the feed to the charger.
Add 2 control cores for the cable that connects to the car. (P1, P2).

If you look into the charger port in the car you can see if there are metal connectors for phase 2 and 3 (although this can be present but not connected). The phase connectors are the 3 in line in the middle.
I will check. Thanks

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have found they are almost the same price. So I might as well go for the three phase cable since it still works ?
Make sure the 3-phase cable is rated at 32 amps, otherwise it will only charge at about 3.5kW on single phase. (A resistor inside the plug tells the charge point how much the cable will take). If they are a similar price it could well be a 16A 3-phase cable.
A 32A 3-phase cable will be substantially heavier and less flexible, so even at the same price, you'd be better off with the single phase one if your car can't use 3-phase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts