Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prospective eNiro and first time EV buyer here. I'll be sharing the car with my father who does not have or want a smartphone. From a purely practical point of view, how will my father's lack of a smartphone impact his use of the eNiro? He'll need to do c. 150-200mile journeys every so often. Do all charging stations support non-smartphone payment? Are there any essential or useful features of the eNiro that require a smartphone? I figure he'll be fine but just wanted to check with current owners...

·
Registered
889 Posts
He'll be fine, but he will have a harder time.....

I use apps for charging, and the UVO app for the car is brilliant.

So - he'll need several rfid cards if he needs to rapid charge (with an e-Niro for most people thats very rare). Could he get a ultra cheap smartphone he keeps with the keys and only uses for the car? Boggo £40 android will do it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ah ok. We won't have access to home charging (no drives for either of us) so will be using charging stations / lamp posts etc which I assume all use rapid charging.
Lamp posts will likely be no more than 7kW or maybe even 3.5kW, so not rapid. These would usually used when you are parking for several hours or overnight. Generally if it’s an AC-only post then it will be non-rapid charging.

Using a rapid you would want to charge the battery to around 80% of full, as the charge rate slows down quickly above this rate (maybe one of the eNiro users can post the graph showing how the charging speed decreases as charge level increases).

Rapid chargers use the CCS DC charging system, and are designed for you to charge and then move as soon as you have sufficient charge in the car. You most definitely should not be a abandoning the car for several hours on a rapid charger or trying to get to 100% charge if someone else is needing to charge after you. Make sure you check the rules of using the charger - some require you to pay for parking while using them, others may have an expensive over-stay penalty for staying beyond a certain time limit. Unfortunately there are no universal standards, so it’s a case of having to be vigilant and checking at each new charger you visit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah ok. We won't have access to home charging (no drives for either of us) so will be using charging stations / lamp posts etc which I assume all use rapid charging.
I'm in the same boat, had the car since September and the vast majority of my charging is via rapid charging.

In the case of charging I don't think your father would be at a disadvantage without a smartphone, I rely on RFID cards as my experience of using apps for charging is sketchy at best. The benefit is I can charge on chargers that sometimes can't be used via the app due to connectivity problems.

The negative is as said above, smart phones are extremely useful for finding chargers when on the move. The car does have charging locations installed on the sat nav but I prefer more up to date info on apps like Zapmap. That said, if you think he would predominantly use 1 or 2 specific chargers for charging, then a smartphone wouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lamp posts will likely be no more than 7kW or maybe even 3.5kW, so not rapid. These would usually used when you are parking for several hours or overnight. Generally if it’s an AC-only post then it will be non-rapid charging.

Using a rapid you would want to charge the battery to around 80% of full, as the charge rate slows down quickly above this rate (maybe one of the eNiro users can post the graph showing how the charging speed decreases as charge level increases).

Rapid chargers use the CCS DC charging system, and are designed for you to charge and then move as soon as you have sufficient charge in the car. You most definitely should not be a abandoning the car for several hours on a rapid charger or trying to get to 100% charge if someone else is needing to charge after you. Make sure you check the rules of using the charger - some require you to pay for parking while using them, others may have an expensive over-stay penalty for staying beyond a certain time limit. Unfortunately there are no universal standards, so it’s a case of having to be vigilant and checking at each new charger you visit.
This is all incredibly useful! Thanks very much :>

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in the same boat, had the car since September and the vast majority of my charging is via rapid charging.

In the case of charging I don't think your father would be at a disadvantage without a smartphone, I rely on RFID cards as my experience of using apps for charging is sketchy at best. The benefit is I can charge on chargers that sometimes can't be used via the app due to connectivity problems.

The negative is as said above, smart phones are extremely useful for finding chargers when on the move. The car does have charging locations installed on the sat nav but I prefer more up to date info on apps like Zapmap. That said, if you think he would predominantly use 1 or 2 specific chargers for charging, then a smartphone wouldn't be necessary.
Good advice, thanks very much!

·
Registered
Soul EV 2020
75 Posts
And if you register for kia charge Homepage - Kia GB - DCS

Then you only need the one app/account - and he can use the rfid card rather than the app. However be aware that some (rapid) chargepoints dont accept a credit or rfid card - you'll need the (kiacharge or other) app for those.

The plus side of kiacharge is that its billed monthly in arrears - so you don't have to maintain credit balances on multiple apps. The down side is that they add a 43p session charge to each charge event.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am not going to be popular for saying this; but are you sure a full BEV car is right for you? Firstly if I did not have a home charge point I would need to know exactly where I would be charging locally and what restrictions and availability might apply. Normally to keep a battery healthy the safe lower charge limit is 10 - 20%. As pointed out in another post using a rapid charger would normally give you 80% top limit in a reasonable time. Therefore the usable charge is only around 70% of the battery capacity or 70% of the cars total range. This range will be lower in winter conditions where the battery temperature is low. Does your father want the hassle of having to carry several different RFID cards to use the rapid chargers on his route? The sooner all charge points accept contactless payments the better as far as I am concerned but this is still probably a couple of years away. If something goes wrong with a charge session your father will probably need a mobile phone to call for assistance. We have owned an e-niro for 14months but because of lockdown have only driven 1,600 miles, so not a true test of living with a BEV. We also have the advantage of a 7Kw home charger.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I will ask the same question but for a different reason. If your father does not want/have a smart phone, then why get such a complex car?

Here's my take: there are a lot of settings that do no "stay" set, and I wonder if your father will be happy with all the "defaults" of the car.

Also, if he does not have a smart phone, is it because he can/will not deal with the complexity? If so, I think this car has too many different settings that will be too complex.

I have other vehicles that "remember" my settings well, (Audi, Mercedes) and the Kia is a pain to a certain degree to reset my preferences whenever I drive.

I think you should consider this carefully... if the "defaults" are fine, and he does not errantly punch buttons, maybe ok... but this car could prove frustrating to some.

Greg

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
219 Posts
I've had my E-Niro for 8 weeks and haven't used my smartphone, apart from connecting it to the car for calls, so it's perfectly possible to drive the car without it. However charging may be a different proposition if he needs to use a public charger

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had my 4+ for about 6 weeks now, if i had to rely on public chargers for charging i 100% would not recommend purchasing the e-niro.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had my 4+ for about 6 weeks now, if i had to rely on public chargers for charging i 100% would not recommend purchasing the e-niro.
I 100% rely on public chargers and 100% recommend an eniro in the same circumstances 😉

It's all dependent on the quality of chargers around you so it's definitely worth doing your homework first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A belated thanks for the all the additional responses which, for some reason, I stopped getting notification emails about. We have now got a used 2020 4 trim e-niro with low mileage and while it looked daunting to use at first, the basic driving experience is super simple especially with all the auto/standard settings.

I'm ordering the KiaCharge card for him and will leave that in the car for him to use where credit cards aren't accepted. I assume that alone will be sufficient for most DC charging stations - assuming the marketing blurb for KiaCharge is correct and the in-car charging satnav guidance will take him to a KiaCharge compatible station. Are there any other RFID cards and service schemes I should be considering for him which aren't covered by KiaCharge?

As we live near each other, I can handle AC street charging via Ubitricity lamp-posts and their QR codes. We're in London and there are dozens in our neighbourhood including some (relatively low KW) DC chargers. The problem is not going to be available chargers but available parking spaces next to these lamp post chargers.Neither of us commute (he is retired and I WFH) so annual mileage will be single digit thousands and most long journeys will be planned well in advance. I am hoping this will reduce or eliminate the need for him to do his own charging but the KC RFID card is just in case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts