Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure when this came in or if it has always been a feature of the car. When using cruise on A-roads and approaching bends I am finding the car is automatically slowing down for the bends. Coming back from essential shopping I have been sitting with the cruise at 45 and had the car slowing down to 27 - 28 mph to take some bends and then accelerating back up. Some of these I would have taken a bit faster myself but then I was thinking that I have a steering wheel to hold on to. Could this be part of the big self-driving master plan for the self-driving taxis?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I assume you are on 2020.20.12 or newer.
I have noticed this behaviour too. I think it has to do with a European? limit of maximum G-force for car passengers

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
It’s been able to do this for a while now, although it gets incrementally better with each version.

I’m finding the latest version doesn’t crawl around the bends so much.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume you are on 2020.20.12 or newer.
I have noticed this behaviour too. I think it has to do with a European? limit of maximum G-force for car passengers
I'm on 2020.24.6.1

It’s been able to do this for a while now, although it gets incrementally better with each version.

I’m finding the latest version doesn’t crawl around the bends so much.
I've probably not noticed it before, the car has not been used a lot recently. Nil since the current and previous versions and probably around 5 miles for the release before.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Interesting, how does this account for different road conditions? If the local farmer has dragged mud onto the road or a lorry driver has dumped diesel all over the road what happens? Or following Police expectations does it assume that this is always the case? :devilish:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
It's supposed to do its best, but not abort..

The latest WP29 amendments contain this "It is recognised that the maximum lateral acceleration specified by the vehicle manufacturer aysmax may not be achievable under all conditions (e.g. inclement weather, different tyres fitted to the vehicle, laterally sloped roads). The system shall not deactivate or unreasonably switch the control strategy in these other conditions."

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
In other words, the driver remains responsible at all times. Perhaps a skidpan course should be supplied with the car? :devilish: (Actually a serious suggestion with what are cars that handle as RWD and the fact that most motorists have been brought up on the dangerous FWD :unsure: with different handling characteristics).
If a driver finds themselves going into a corner too fast whilst on ACC there is the issue of any interaction between the driver and the ACC - for example if the driver brakes mid-corner to turn the ACC off they risk further destabilising the car (not withstanding this is what they should do if all control is lost). Bottom line is that the driver needs to take control before entering the corner but that requires a high degree of awareness of road surface conditions, something way above the normal level of is there a vehicle or pedestrian that the car hasn't seen.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am petrified of turning on cruise control.
I do not want to accelerate to the speed limit the car thinks is in operation for any particular road.
If I set cruise control I want/need it to set where I want it, I know I can adjust the speed on the steering wheel.
I want to be in control of my car NOT the other way round.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cruise control will not accelerate to the set speed limit until you take pressure off the accelerator pedal. It does take a bit of getting used to. As I am driving with my foot on the accelerator I will engage cruise, scroll down to the speed I want and then release the accelerator.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The cruise control will not accelerate to the set speed limit until you take pressure off the accelerator pedal. It does take a bit of getting used to. As I am driving with my foot on the accelerator I will engage cruise, scroll down to the speed I want and then release the accelerator.
So when you take your foot off the accelerator expecting regen braking, the car accelerates?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it will, not at the 'foot to the floor rate' but under these circumstances, it will accelerate as you have engaged CC so it is only reacting to what the driver has selected. In a car with 'normal' CC if you accelerate to a greater speed than what you had set the CC for then when you come to slow down the car will only slow down to the preset CC setting (although I think some cars deactivate the CC if the throttle is pressed for longer than a certain time).

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,936 Posts
I use AP everywhere, all the time. All you really need to take over for is driving around parked cars, and cones that lead you onto the “wrong side” of the road (found that one out the hard way 😂)

For me, AP is how I justify the cost of the thing. If I wanted to actually drive my car, I’d get something 2/3 of the price with twice the build quality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts