Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm so excited. I've been test driving EV's over the past couple of weeks and today fell in love with the MG ZS EV. I can't believe how affordable it is, especially considering its a similar price to supermini EV's.
The dealer said he couldn't promise anything, but he would try his hardest to get it in on Friday so I could take it away as I'm going on a UK holiday to celebrate my 30th.
All that to one side, how can I go about charging it whilst out? Which selection of services would you think is best to sign up to (I've only got 5 working days if I need to receive RFID tags etc.) I tried to sign up to the electric highway, but it's asking for a numberplate, which I don't know yet.
I'm so excited, but actually a bit nervous as it's all different to what I'm currently used to!
Polar seem to have quite a few chargers,l dotted around, can you use that just using an app or do you need to have a card?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,083 Posts
Hi all,
I'm so excited. I've been test driving EV's over the past couple of weeks and today fell in love with the MG ZS EV. I can't believe how affordable it is, especially considering its a similar price to supermini EV's.
The dealer said he couldn't promise anything, but he would try his hardest to get it in on Friday so I could take it away as I'm going on a UK holiday to celebrate my 30th.
All that to one side, how can I go about charging it whilst out? Which selection of services would you think is best to sign up to (I've only got 5 working days if I need to receive RFID tags etc.) I tried to sign up to the electric highway, but it's asking for a numberplate, which I don't know yet.
I'm so excited, but actually a bit nervous as it's all different to what I'm currently used to!
Polar seem to have quite a few chargers,l dotted around, can you use that just using an app or do you need to have a card?
Take a look at Zap Map to see whats along the routes you drive. You can also filter to show chargers that only take a contactless payment card so no need to sign up to any networks if you don't want to.

Ecotricity Electric Highway is app only. You can sign up when you need it and the account will work straight away. They don't actually do anything with your licence plate though so I imagine you could just put anything in. Most of the networks will have apps you can use, and it's only really worth signing up for RFID Cards if there are certain networks that are big along your common routes that you are going to be using regularly.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Picking our Zoe up on Tuesday, and yes, it's a very exciting time. From all the charging companies I've registered with Chargepoint are the only ones I've got an rfid card for. All the other's except for one (who are asking £9 for a card) you can use the app and free to register with. Have a look at your local area and routes to places where you would travel to and see which ones you may need. I use zap-map but there are others around.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the responses so far, much appreciated. I've had a little look on zap map and it appears that I'd be pretty well catered by using a combination of Instavolt and Ecotricity. To be honest, I'd probably only need to charge a couple of times throughout the journey, but I'd be scared to collect the car and run out of battery on the first day. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Winter’s (cold weather) probably the worst time for range. We’d be able to do our 180 mile round trip during the summer, but we would have to stop for 15 mins or so to juice up a bit at a rapid during the colder months. Some supermarkets have charge points as well so a top up there can be in the back of the mind. Amazing how quick an hour disappears when shopping!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's very true actually, I love near Brighton and shop in Asda at the marina and there are a few charge points there. Although I think they're polar, so I might need to sign up to the polar network to use those. The only thing I'm fearful of is running low on range, arriving at a charge point to then realise that I don't have the correct RFID card so I'm unable to charge. I really hope the charge point companies decide to lean towards being able to use your debit card.

On a slightly different topic. Am I working this out correctly.
Sat for instance my energy company (EDF) charges 16p per KWh of energy. As the ZS EV has a 42.5kw battery. If the battery was empty, you would do 44.5x0.16=£7.12.
Is that the correct maths to work out one "tank" of electric?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,083 Posts
That's very true actually, I love near Brighton and shop in Asda at the marina and there are a few charge points there. Although I think they're polar, so I might need to sign up to the polar network to use those. The only thing I'm fearful of is running low on range, arriving at a charge point to then realise that I don't have the correct RFID card so I'm unable to charge. I really hope the charge point companies decide to lean towards being able to use your debit card.

On a slightly different topic. Am I working this out correctly.
Sat for instance my energy company (EDF) charges 16p per KWh of energy. As the ZS EV has a 42.5kw battery. If the battery was empty, you would do 44.5x0.16=£7.12.
Is that the correct maths to work out one "tank" of electric?
For a rough idea yes. Your battery will have a buffer at the top and bottom end so you'll not be able to use all of the battery, and of course its likely you'll just be doing small top ups as and when needed rather than plugging in at 0% all the time. Finally, that would be assuming 100% efficiency. There are losses in the charging process so not all the energy will make it from your meter to your battery.

If you're charging at home a lot, look into other energy providers who can offer you cheap off peak energy for much cheaper overnight rates for charging your car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perfect, thanks for confirming. Yes, I will certainly look into off peak electricity tarifs. I did see that my current supplier does a night and weekend tariff where its only 8p per unit. However before I start changing too much at once, I'll go as I am for a few weeks and get used to it. MG offer a Rolec WALLPOD and the salesman said that it comes with an app so I can schedule charging etc. which would be handy for charging at night. Roll on tomorrow when I phone up and pay the deposit!

·
Registered
831 Posts

I don't think this was responded to - the Polar chargers can be used just with a credit/ debit card, as and when you arrive at them, but the charging cost is typically about 30 p per kWh. If you apply to Polar for a Polar Plus account you can have an RFID card/ fob which means you then pay about 15p per kWh, but there is a monthly regular account charge of about £7.85. I've forgotten the answer but you can work out the break point of monthly usage where the Plus account becomes cheaper compared to the credit/ debit Access method...

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new EV.

I would also recommend at least the first 3 months free of Polar Plus. They are installing a lot of 150kW chargers now too and it is a far, far bigger network than Instavolt. RFID is always more reliable than apps, contactless card should be reliable - if they allow offline payment.

We use a free rapid on Polar Plus (not many of those left) which basically covers the cost of the subscription (except during lockdown). Partly due to cost, I don't use Electric Highway on motorway but tend to find a Polar at a hotel (or similar) nearby. I find hotels generally more relaxing and no more expensive than motorway. At Chester Holiday Inn they even gave me a free coffee once!

Edit - Costs added below but many (most?) AC are free on Plus.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I don't think this was responded to - the Polar chargers can be used just with a credit/ debit card, as and when you arrive at them, but the charging cost is typically about 30 p per kWh. If you apply to Polar for a Polar Plus account you can have an RFID card/ fob which means you then pay about 15p per kWh, but there is a monthly regular account charge of about £7.85. I've forgotten the answer but you can work out the break point of monthly usage where the Plus account becomes cheaper compared to the credit/ debit Access method...
You missed out the obvious "third way" - Polar Instant, which I see proddick mentioned in the table in his post. This is app based and is a lot cheaper than either PAYG or Polar Plus unless you regularly need to charge a lot on the go to cover the cost of the subscription. There is no connection charge - just a minimum charge - and pricing ranges from 18-25p/kWh.

On your other point, you really need to look at other home electricity providers who offer specific cheap overnight EV tariffs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. This morning I phoned up and paid my deposit for my ZS EV and I'm getting it on Friday! I'm so excited and so glad to finally be part of the EV club! I hope it comes fully charged as I'm going on a 200 mile journey as soon as I get it!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,083 Posts
Call the dealer and ask them to arrange for it to be fully charged for collection. Don't just assume it will come full as many dealers simply don't bother and will hand it over with somewhere just below 50% from what I have seen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the heads up, I'm going there this even to sign some paperwork so I'll be sure to mention it to them then 😀

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,644 Posts
@Freeman3030 Not mentioned and not sure you are aware but never get to a charger empty. Leave a buffer as it may be broken! Leave yourself a margin to get to a plan b charger. I am sure you know this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, that's pretty sound advice. When away from home, I think I'll always allow myself a 40 mile buffer just in case! Talking of charging, I am currently filling out my application for the wall charger. I'm only really considering a tethered version as I'd like to leave the cable supplied with the car in the boot just in case I need to top up out and about as I know I'd probably just end up leaving it plugged into the charge point at home. However, I'm trying to decide between 5/10m. I would only need 5m if I park on the driveway facing forward, however if I reverse onto the drive (which I usually do) 5m would probably be too short. Would it be ok to get 10m and leave the majority of it coiled up around the charger? Or do the charge leads get hot and need to be uncoiled?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,947 Posts
Yes, that's pretty sound advice. When away from home, I think I'll always allow myself a 40 mile buffer just in case! Talking of charging, I am currently filling out my application for the wall charger. I'm only really considering a tethered version as I'd like to leave the cable supplied with the car in the boot just in case I need to top up out and about as I know I'd probably just end up leaving it plugged into the charge point at home. However, I'm trying to decide between 5/10m. I would only need 5m if I park on the driveway facing forward, however if I reverse onto the drive (which I usually do) 5m would probably be too short. Would it be ok to get 10m and leave the majority of it coiled up around the charger? Or do the charge leads get hot and need to be uncoiled?
It's always best to fully uncoil a power cable. Even one of those extension reels used to plug in a lawnmower heats up significantly if left coiled.

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
Would it be ok to get 10m and leave the majority of it coiled up around the charger?
As very lightly coiled, I assumed the design of Chargemaster and PODPoint units is specifically intended to accommodate exactly that and I often do it. You could ask manufacturer if you want to be 100% sure.

Don't confuse this with 13A extension leads where cable is tightly wound inside a drum!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts