Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it turns out that some posts are dual access, if you use a chargemaster card you get charged, if you access the post using another scheme card you may not be charged at all.

I noticed that the Belfry Hotel in Nottingham has the following tariffs:
PAYG Tariff:
POLAR charges apply for POLAR card users
PiM cards currently Free

I didn't know this, maybe some of you paying chargemaster don't know either! It looks like there may be savings to be made by shopping around for a different card to access chargemaster posts...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Odd. All the chargers in Nottingham appear to be free on the Polar Instant map.
Apart from the "The Belfry, Mellors Way, Nottingham NG8 6PY" which is a Rapid Charger @ £15/Hour...

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apart from the "The Belfry, Mellors Way, Nottingham NG8 6PY" which is a Rapid Charger @ £15/Hour...
that's even more interesting as Chargemaster has it for £7/hour
(I thought Polar and Chargemaster were the same network?)

ChargeMaster map £7
http://www.chargemasterplc.com/index.php/live-map/
Polar map £15
https://www.polarinstant.com/map.php
PiM map £0
http://www.pluggedinmidlands.co.uk/live-availability/

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Crickey! So now we'll be standing there with our wad of cards wondering which one is best to use!
Time for some common sense here methinks!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
yeah, this is a little insane really.

Three choices - £15, £7 or £0. Hmmm... well, I think £15 is a rip off, £7 is also a ripoff but less so; which leaves me with £0. Yeah, for the price of a postage stamp I'd probably plump for £0.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It's all incredibly bizarre. Not just the triple pricing scheme card lottery.... but the fact that 50kw rapids have been plonked in locations where the user may well want to park up for a lot longer than an hour.

And FIFTEEN QUID!??!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It's all incredibly bizarre. Not just the triple pricing scheme card lottery.... but the fact that 50kw rapids have been plonked in locations where the user may well want to park up for a lot longer than an hour.

And FIFTEEN QUID!??!!!
£15 is Chargemaster/Polar's standard rate for Rapid chargers using Polar Instant. Specifically it's £7.50 per 30 minutes (or part thereof, it seems).
£7 per 30 minutes (£7 for the first 30, then pro-rata) is the Polar standard tariff - but you have to pay £20/year to get that.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Makes paying £20 for the Plugged-In-Midlands card a b-b-b-bargain!
Use it for 1 & 1/2 good rapid charges and you're ahead...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whilst we are giving Polar/Chargemaster a good 'kicking-while they're down' (Not comfortable with it but there's something about them that feels a like they are to EVs what McDonalds are to nutrition)...anyway, had my home chargepoint installed by P/C - no problems, works a treat. They followed up by sending me a '6 month free polar membership offer'. On reading the T's & C's. It isn't free. They just defer the £20 membership cost for 6 months and take the next £20 by direct debit (of course) after 12 months anyway. I rang their helpline to enquire and they admitted that this was the case and that the 'Free' bit was rather misleading.:cautious:

·
Registered
12 Posts
looking at the 'Plugged in Midlands' site map. It looks like the management of the points are migrating across to CYC so between CYC and Ecotricity, you could be well covered anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmm, I wonder, can any of the schemes "roam" to Milton Keynes, and if so, at what price? The Polar / Chargemaster price, or the price of their own scheme?
Please feel free to delete this in case the (wrong person/company sees it) but the rapid chargers in MK appear to be free currently. I have a pay as you go account and used the rapids a bunch of times whilst waiting for my home charger, swiped the card, but never got charged. I also used the slower posts, got charged for those.

Not sure if this is common knowledge or if it is intentional...

·
Registered
413 Posts
How interesting.

This hotel is just opposite our HQ where I work... I have seen many a tesla charging on it. Never realised it was a multi-access card site.

It's inside the hotel carpark so if you wanted to use it typically I think people have to pay for using the carpark or at least get a costa from the cafe!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts