Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
EV owner since June, but almost all our charging has been at home....so very much a public charging newbie!
I‘m curious about chargepoints that are at fast food outlets.

There is an Instavolt at a KFC near my daughters shared house. It will help us to grab a quick charge next week: 30-60mins....even 15 might be enough for our round trip.
We may well sit there and have a coffee....BUT we might want to leave it an hour and have a cuppa at her house.
Morally, I’m sure we should give them some business....but I’m not overkeen on KFC (!).

Is there any legal expectation/requirement that owners remain on the premises?
I do have a ”time wheel” with our number to leave on the dash, in case someone desperately needs a charge and wants us to move....

cheers!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What, sit in it for 30-40mins?

That’s why I created this simple time wheel (not my number shown!) to leave on the dash.

So far as I know, everyone has a mobile these days, especially EV owners (stacked full of apps!), so they can call me if I’m only 5 mins away.

make sense?
F02A39C8-F799-4246-A315-91DB559E7177.jpeg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Instavolt are advertised as "public use" and not limited to customers of the car park owner. So, there is no requirement to do anything other than charge. Which I think is morally fine, you are paying for Instavolt. Its not like you are getting free electric and not using the facilities.

Having said that, if the car park owners see increased business due to the charge points, then that may encourage them to install more. Wishful thinking, I know, but it could happen.

The danger of leaving site is that the car owner may forget or spend hours away from it and end up blocking the charge point for a long time. If one returns before the car is full, no harm I say.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Is there any legal expectation/requirement that owners remain on the premises?
No.

There may be regulations on the car park where the rapid is located. Best to make certain you do not violate those.

Some chargers have overstay fees. For example GeniePoint generally charge £10 after 95 minutes.

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
I obey the rules of the charger provider and/or site owner. I am not aware of any that say you need to stay with the vehicle.

Some destination chargers are only for customers (particularly Tesla ones) but I am not aware of any such restriction for rapids - they simply are not viable on that basis.

I rarely stay in my Zoe at a rapid as usually staying 45 mins or so to get sufficient charge. I do not stay longer than necessary as even the Polar Plus ones cost more than charging at home. I try and leave a note saying "back at xx" so others can decide if they wait or not.

In Model 3 I might stay inside if just a quick topup.

·
Registered
396 Posts
No.

There may be regulations on the car park where the rapid is located. Best to make certain you do not violate those.

Some chargers have overstay fees. For example GeniePoint generally charge £10 after 95 minutes.
Use the Need To Charge app

Also contact Phil Gordon to get a customised windscreen display @drphil2405 On Twitter

If we all used need to charge then staying with your car at a charger would be unnecessary

What, sit in it for 30-40mins?

That’s why I created this simple time wheel (not my number shown!) to leave on the dash.

So far as I know, everyone has a mobile these days, especially EV owners (stacked full of apps!), so they can call me if I’m only 5 mins away.

make sense?
View attachment 125289
Need

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
Use the Need To Charge app
Is this going to end up as "popular" as the "Charge bump" app :rolleyes:

We shouldn't have to resort to such faf to charge our cars and it doesn't exactly create good optics for the average driver thinking of making the switch to EV.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is no need to use the KFC, BUT PLEASE STAY WITH YOUR CAR.
There will be a flood of opinions, but in general please stay with the car and charge up to 80%.
Over this is wasting your time and someone else could be using the charger.
Wish people would stop referring to 80%. That's only really valid for old 24kWh cars.
Most recent cars keep the charge rate up until well over 90% - my i3 still pulls > 20kW at 94%

·
Zoe Devotee
7,931 Posts
Its a rapid charger, stay with your car. Don't make your laziness someone else problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
That's only really valid for old 24kWh cars.
Most recent cars keep the charge rate up until well over 90% - my i3 still pulls > 20kW at 94%

I've grown accustomed to the i3 sprinting most of the way to full. Makes journey planning that much easier.

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
@proddick Was that you driving your Tesla down Buckingham Road this lunch time as I was emerging from my home in my Leaf?
No. Away with work at present and SWMBO wasn't in that area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts