Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
EV owner since June, but almost all our charging has been at home....so very much a public charging newbie!
I‘m curious about chargepoints that are at fast food outlets.

There is an Instavolt at a KFC near my daughters shared house. It will help us to grab a quick charge next week: 30-60mins....even 15 might be enough for our round trip.
We may well sit there and have a coffee....BUT we might want to leave it an hour and have a cuppa at her house.
Morally, I’m sure we should give them some business....but I’m not overkeen on KFC (!).

Is there any legal expectation/requirement that owners remain on the premises?
I do have a ”time wheel” with our number to leave on the dash, in case someone desperately needs a charge and wants us to move....

cheers!

·
Registered
557 Posts
There is no need to use the KFC, BUT PLEASE STAY WITH YOUR CAR.
There will be a flood of opinions, but in general please stay with the car and charge up to 80%. Over this is wasting your time and someone else could be using the charger.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What, sit in it for 30-40mins?

That’s why I created this simple time wheel (not my number shown!) to leave on the dash.

So far as I know, everyone has a mobile these days, especially EV owners (stacked full of apps!), so they can call me if I’m only 5 mins away.

make sense?
F02A39C8-F799-4246-A315-91DB559E7177.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Instavolt are advertised as "public use" and not limited to customers of the car park owner. So, there is no requirement to do anything other than charge. Which I think is morally fine, you are paying for Instavolt. Its not like you are getting free electric and not using the facilities.

Having said that, if the car park owners see increased business due to the charge points, then that may encourage them to install more. Wishful thinking, I know, but it could happen.

The danger of leaving site is that the car owner may forget or spend hours away from it and end up blocking the charge point for a long time. If one returns before the car is full, no harm I say.

·
Super Moderator
11,543 Posts
Is there any legal expectation/requirement that owners remain on the premises?
No.

There may be regulations on the car park where the rapid is located. Best to make certain you do not violate those.

Some chargers have overstay fees. For example GeniePoint generally charge £10 after 95 minutes.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
I obey the rules of the charger provider and/or site owner. I am not aware of any that say you need to stay with the vehicle.

Some destination chargers are only for customers (particularly Tesla ones) but I am not aware of any such restriction for rapids - they simply are not viable on that basis.

I rarely stay in my Zoe at a rapid as usually staying 45 mins or so to get sufficient charge. I do not stay longer than necessary as even the Polar Plus ones cost more than charging at home. I try and leave a note saying "back at xx" so others can decide if they wait or not.

In Model 3 I might stay inside if just a quick topup.

·
Registered
457 Posts
No.

There may be regulations on the car park where the rapid is located. Best to make certain you do not violate those.

Some chargers have overstay fees. For example GeniePoint generally charge £10 after 95 minutes.
Use the Need To Charge app

Also contact Phil Gordon to get a customised windscreen display @drphil2405 On Twitter

If we all used need to charge then staying with your car at a charger would be unnecessary

What, sit in it for 30-40mins?

That’s why I created this simple time wheel (not my number shown!) to leave on the dash.

So far as I know, everyone has a mobile these days, especially EV owners (stacked full of apps!), so they can call me if I’m only 5 mins away.

make sense?
View attachment 125289
Need

·
Registered
176 Posts
plugshare has a built in option for people to contact you, if you do the checkin at the charger, also the checkin can be set to how long you think you will use the charger.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Use the Need To Charge app
Is this going to end up as "popular" as the "Charge bump" app :rolleyes:

We shouldn't have to resort to such faf to charge our cars and it doesn't exactly create good optics for the average driver thinking of making the switch to EV.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is no need to use the KFC, BUT PLEASE STAY WITH YOUR CAR.
There will be a flood of opinions, but in general please stay with the car and charge up to 80%.
Over this is wasting your time and someone else could be using the charger.
Wish people would stop referring to 80%. That's only really valid for old 24kWh cars.
Most recent cars keep the charge rate up until well over 90% - my i3 still pulls > 20kW at 94%

·
Zoe Devotee
8,950 Posts
Its a rapid charger, stay with your car. Don't make your laziness someone else problem.

Reactions: RichA

·
Super Moderator
11,543 Posts
That's only really valid for old 24kWh cars.
Most recent cars keep the charge rate up until well over 90% - my i3 still pulls > 20kW at 94%

I've grown accustomed to the i3 sprinting most of the way to full. Makes journey planning that much easier.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
@proddick Was that you driving your Tesla down Buckingham Road this lunch time as I was emerging from my home in my Leaf?
No. Away with work at present and SWMBO wasn't in that area.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its a rapid charger, stay with your car. Don't make your laziness someone else problem.
What a daft comment :rolleyes:
My "laziness" has created a card that anyone can read on the dashboard when I leave the vehicle, and given I know how long it could pull power for, I'm not going to leave it all day long when it would be full within 50 minutes (for example). Do you just sit in your car for 50+ minutes?
The card politely gives anyone in desperate need of an urgent fill-up a number to get me there if needed.

As it happens, it was pouring with rain, so we sat inside and had a coffee and snack. It successfully served to remind me how much I dislike KFC food, to be fair, but that is purely my opinion! If we do it again, we will have a wander across the road to the shops there. And return well in time!

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,323 Posts
If paying for a charge I'd say it's morally fine wherever! As for terms, it'd be subject to any signage for a) the charge points and b) the car park - be sure to pay attention to both, as sometimes the terms of the car park require things like "go and register your number plate in the hotel lobby" and it's not indicated at the charge point, which catches people out.
If it's a free one I'd say use common sense. Tesco aren't going to lose any sleep over you taking advantage a bit, in the hope it'll generally increase goodwill. Some small family business providing a charger for customers is another matter.

"Charging etiquette" has been done to death... I think if you know how long it's going to take there's no point sitting there in your car twiddling your thumbs for (say) 40 minutes just on the offchance someone turns up and either thinks their need is greater than yours and asks you to give way (how many would actually do this?) or wants to know how long you'll be (which you can indicate with one of those time clock things or a note etc). Might as well stretch your legs, have a coffee, etc. Long as you stay within about a 5 minute walk and return at a sensible point - whether that's the classic 80%, the general consensus of a 40-60 minute maximum, limits indicated by signage, or when your particular EV tails off the charge rate.

In the long term this is all "EV community" stuff anyway - the mass market will NOT care about this kind of crap and will just do whatever they can get away with without being fined. There need to be an adequate number of rapids per site so that we don't get the queues and the taps on the window in the first place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts