Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my greatest concerns with this car, is driving along in E-mode, then deciding I need a blast of power, when the ICE is stone cold. Its just something I'm not prepared todo, for the below reasons.

Now, maybe its because of my Subaru background, it was a hard and fast rule that you didn't give the engine any abuse until the oil temperature was up to a reasonable level (say 50/60 degrees). If I know I'm going to need the petrol engine, I'll switch to hybrid in advance, and allow it to warm up under cruising loads before I'll ask anything demanding of it... My thinking is that if you suddenly demand full power from a cold engine, that engines suddenly going to full power from a standing start, oil is cold, and hasn't been properly flowing, so components may not be suitably lubricated yet. Not such a concern if you're starting an ICE at a standstill, the oil pump can get oil flowing in those first few moments before you pull away... but the idea of just going to full power from stone cold scares me. (if the engines been running prior, then thats fine). But it does mean there are occasions where someones tried to cut me up at a set of lights by blasting off, and I'd rather conceed the place than put unnecessary wear on my engine

Are these engines designed differently, hybrids as a whole maybe? Is oil pumped around the engine before it fires, (electric oil pump perhaps), or are other design elements in place to address these concerns? Or does it suffer the same drawback of a conventional ICE?

Whats other peoples take on it? Are you happy to give it a full boot full from cold?

All thoughts welcome :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you run on electric for a very long time, the electric motor vil give the ICE a couple of turns once in a while to keep it lubricated. But that's on a scale of days or weeks of pure EV mode, AFAIU, and not that relevant to your question I guess.

I found an older thread about this question here.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Quite agree with you @Sprint that stage1 is Respect The Mechanicals
If I have a lovely cross country burn route coming up, and have typically been only in eMode for days, then I'll hit Hybrid on purpose to get the engine going for a few mins, so it's properly ready to Rock & Rush for when I press that GTE button to use with glee -- Murphy and his law will say round the first proper corner will be a Tractor.....
Might be old skool, might be "no need with this engine" but it just seems the right thing to do.

I found the Oil Temp display in the between-dials trip computer the other day [ driving data? ] , which seems just right to watch for these occasions.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
VW have designed the ICE so it can go from cold to full power. However, if it was my car and I was intending to keep it for a long time, I would warm it up before a 'blast' if possible.

Mine is on a 2 year lease, but I'm still treating it carefully.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Frightens the crap out of me because I am a bit old school and have a lot of mechanical sympathy. On the other hand I am sure the modern oils offer a lot more protection than the old minerial oils and because some of us hardly use the ICE it is swings and roundabouts . I also had a performance turbo charged car previously and the carbonisation of the oil around the turbo bearings was a problem which you won't see in an engine that runs cold. If you are concerned just get the oil changed every 10000 miles, it's not a lot of expense to keep your engine mint. I also like to use the oil temp gauge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found an older thread about this question here.
That's a fascinating read!! Am bookmarking that! Thanks

Quite agree with you @Sprint that stage1 is Respect The Mechanicals
If I have a lovely cross country burn route coming up, and have typically been only in eMode for days, then I'll hit Hybrid on purpose to get the engine going for a few mins, so it's properly ready to Rock & Rush for when I press that GTE button to use with glee -- Murphy and his law will say round the first proper corner will be a Tractor.....
Might be old skool, might be "no need with this engine" but it just seems the right thing to do.

I found the Oil Temp display in the between-dials trip computer the other day [ driving data? ] , which seems just right to watch for these occasions.
Glad its not just me

Frightens the crap out of me because I am a bit old school and have a lot of mechanical sympathy. On the other hand I am sure the modern oils offer a lot more protection than the old minerial oils and because some of us hardly use the ICE it is swings and roundabouts . I also had a performance turbo charged car previously and the carbonisation of the oil around the turbo bearings was a problem which you won't see in an engine that runs cold. If you are concerned just get the oil changed every 10000 miles, it's not a lot of expense to keep your engine mint. I also like to use the oil temp gauge.
I used todo the Subaru every 3000 miles. Got to a point where the oil still had a hint of gold to it when it was coming out :)

Well some of that information has made me feel a little more relaxed about calling on full-power in an unexpected situation/emergency, but I would aim for those to be the rare exception. I'm hoping to pass this car onto my wife in 3 or 4 years time when I get myself a Tesla, so I want to take the best care possible for it :)

Interesting views though folks, chars :D

·
Super Moderator
7,226 Posts
Easy fix I guess, each time you start the car, put it in GTE mode, and then switch back to e-mode. I suspect the engine will fire up as soon as you select GTE mode, but even though you put it back in e-mode the warmup cycle will continue until it reaches whatever setpoint the system has. That's the way it works in the Prius, I assume the GTE is the same.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I do agree with the view that reving a cold engine hard is not the way to go I.M.O.A. - not day in day out anyway !.
The TSI engine's in the GTE are NOT the same as the standard 1.4 TSI.
The cylinder liners & pistons in the engine block on the GTE have been treated to prevent wear when been worked hard when the engine is cold, according to VW that is !!!!!.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
@Edd Beesley yes having had an AurisHSD the Golf does do this too, but not long enough (in my view) for warming the GTE block + oil properly, so I run the engine outside of eMode to ensure.
(Whereas the Toyota would probably start the engine within the next mile regardless, so keeps it warm)

Last night I used GTE button when facing a 1/2-3/4 mile uphill and at the top going into gently downhill the ICE turned off, so I assumed it had run long enough to do its basic cycle.
However the Oil Temp stayed ---- . I left it in GTE and only after another 2-3miles did it finally show 50deg, then slowly creeped upwards. It didn't get over 62 on my remainder short trip. I also saw it drop a degree on a downhill , one assumes in Winter the windchill could well do this too, even from a fully warmed engine.

I haven't sat it at 72mph on a motorway with the ICE running and that display, to see what the "normal warmed" oil temperature is ... maybe someone could please add, thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I haven't sat it at 72 on a motorway with the ICE running and that display, to see what the "normal warmed" oil temperature is ... maybe someone could please add, thanks.
I have monitored the oil temperature (having got used to doing it with my Polo GTI) and it is about 89 degrees on a long motorway run. Like you, I have noticed the temperature drops rapidly when the ICE cuts out.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
When driving hard I've seen the oil temp go up to 90. I put the oil temp display up as well, note it has to be enabled to come up in the dash, did on mine anyway.

Like others, I let the car run in hybrid for a while or even battery charge if a short drive and I want to get the engine warmed up quick.

When the ICE does fire up I try to ensure it gets a long enough run to burn off any moisture.

It may all be completely unecessary but I like to take care of things and may keep this car for many years (unless an improved GTE comes out). Even if it was a lease car I think its morally the right thing to do for the environment and future owners.

Let say 50% of my 10,000 miles a year are in E-Mode that means an oil change every 5,000 miles.

With the electric motor helping out in normal driving the ICE is having an easy life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts