Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I generally need just a few quick pointers:
I'm going for a tekna, 24kw c. 50,000 miles, c. 2014/2015 yrs.

I know to look for:
6.6kw charging,
12 bars on battery

But What kind of SOH and Ahr should I look for?

And how can you tell if the data has been tampered with?

thanks!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,125 Posts
I’d be suspect if that car still has 12 bars!

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
there seems to be quite a few with 12 bars and that sort of age/mileage? Surely a leafspy would highlight any dodginess?
if it's been "reset" then it could well show 12 bars and close to 100% SOH. at 7 years old and 80k miles my Leaf was down to 10 bars.

Reactions: JohnMars

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yep, be aware that things like this are possible:
- it'll go back to how it was pretty soon after but can cover it up temporarily.

Remember too that the first bar goes at 85% SOH so it could have 12 bars showing but only just be above that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, be aware that things like this are possible:
- it'll go back to how it was pretty soon after but can cover it up temporarily.

Remember too that the first bar goes at 85% SOH so it could have 12 bars showing but only just be above that.
But isnt this the point of leafspy? I check Ahrs tally with the bars/SOH?

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
The Ahrs, bar display and SOH would all get rest with this kind of “fiddling”.

A good drive from 100% to as low as you dare with Leafspy logging will tell you a lot though (actual kWh consumed)

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Ahrs, bar display and SOH would all get rest with this kind of “fiddling”.

A good drive from 100% to as low as you dare with Leafspy logging will tell you a lot though (actual kWh consumed)
that's terrifying. I thought buying leafspy would cover all this! So I guess it's better to buy from a dealership with whom there may be comeback/guarantees?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
that's terrifying. I thought buying leafspy would cover all this! So I guess it's better to buy from a dealership with whom there may be comeback/guarantees?
thanks
makes no difference on cars that age, the warranty is only 5 years/60k anyway. If you want a battery with a warranty you need to look at the 30kwh car which has 8 years/100k.

And of course, with the leaf, degradation is just normal behaviour. My 2011 is down to 7 bars and 30 miles winter/40 miles summer on range.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
makes no difference on cars that age, the warranty is only 5 years/60k anyway. If you want a battery with a warranty you need to look at the 30kwh car which has 8 years/100k.

And of course, with the leaf, degradation is just normal behaviour. My 2011 is down to 7 bars and 30 miles winter/40 miles summer on range.
but if it seems like they have diddled the car, I could have some kind of comback with a dealership

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
but if it seems like they have diddled the car, I could have some kind of comeback with a dealership
Depends how much fighting you want on your hands though...

Its one reason i always say the 30kwh is the better buy currently.
Also as long as you can keep it under 100k miles before it hits 8yrs old it doesnt matter if its high mileage and already losing a bar or two. Its still got more range than a 24kwh unit and with the added warranty helps as well. Also if the battery degrades its easier now to claim under warranty(with the right dealership) and get a new unit plonked in the car which again helps the future value of the vehicle.
The only 24kwhs still with some warranty are the late 2016 and 2017 models of which there are very few as most people saw the benefit and bought the 30kwh unit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New question - how important is service history? ! One im looking at has none and guy says it's never needed servicing as no engine and it's in great condition, he changes tyres frequently etc and has flown through all MOTs

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
New question - how important is service history? ! One im looking at has none and guy says it's never needed servicing as no engine and it's in great condition, he changes tyres frequently etc and has flown through all MOTs
Well brake fluid should still be inspected and replaced if needed, and the heater fluid should also be replaced. No service history means absolutely no warranties, and if something were to happen NO chance of "goodwill" from Nissan (as I found to my detriment when faced with a rather large bill for my Leaf a few years ago: Parking brake error "Visit Dealer" - £2,172 bill )

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well brake fluid should still be inspected and replaced if needed, and the heater fluid should also be replaced. No service history means absolutely no warranties, and if something were to happen NO chance of "goodwill" from Nissan (as I found to my detriment when faced with a rather large bill for my Leaf a few years ago: Parking brake error "Visit Dealer" - £2,172 bill )
would there be any goodwill from nissan on a 2014 used 48000 car?

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
I'd hope so if it landed you with a £2k bill, and the same car with a different battery has 8yr/100k warranty. Doesn't hurt to ask! But no service history will be a super no.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,125 Posts
You make me please I took out the Nissan extended warranty on my Leaf! Rather have no surprises to pay for while I save for my Tesla!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,125 Posts
would there be any goodwill from nissan on a 2014 used 48000 car?
Whats the budget for your car?

How far to you need to travel (total) per day to say work or kids etc?

Do you have somewhere to charge at home? (or work)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whats the budget for your car?

How far to you need to travel (total) per day to say work or kids etc?

Do you have somewhere to charge at home? (or work)
abut 6-7k - really not far each day, half hr drive to and half hr back. But sometimes needed for a longer journey...
I'll get somewhere to charge at home

1 - 20 of 59 Posts