Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps,

What the current state of play with OVMS in a Leaf?
I've been getting more than bit tee'd off with CarWings lately, so I've been thinking about getting OVMS again.
I just thought I'd better check out how it's doing on the Leaf as it's been a bit quiet since the UK Leaf/OVMS dev day during the summer. In particular what the currently working features are on the Leaf?

Cheers!

·
mk1 leaf 13 plate
173 Posts
Chaps,

What the current state of play with OVMS in a Leaf?
I've been getting more than bit tee'd off with CarWings lately, so I've been thinking about getting OVMS again.
I just thought I'd better check out how it's doing on the Leaf as it's been a bit quiet since the UK Leaf/OVMS dev day during the summer. In particular what the currently working features are on the Leaf?

Cheers!
OVMS!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great news for an old thread :)

Tom Parker wrote some great new Leaf code for the OVMS. All is running well and he even managed to get the remote climate control running!

I did some hacking on the Android app, to have some nice Leaf images and to make it run without Google apps.

Screenshot_2016-05-21-14-44-11.jpg

You can read the story and find some files on my website:

e-mobility - Ladestation / charging station in Thalham - OVMS

All credit for the code goes to Tom.

Enjoy ...

marxx

·
Registered
6 Posts
I pay 2 Euro per month for 300 mB flat prepaid. Not that much ...

But the idea of using the original SIM is intriguing. As it is a real SIM and not a M2M chip you can remove it from the TCU (telematic control unit) and put it in the OVMS. You then only need the settings of the original provider ... This will be the problem to find out. But once you have that information everything should work out of the box.

No software development needed ...

marxx

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sorry to revive this old thread, just thought I would mention that OVMS is still going strong now with refined hardware V3. Nissan LEAF and e-NV200 are well-supported including climate control. OVMS mobile apps (search app store for 'Open Vehicles') are very reliable and responsive, data is updated in near real-time.

The European OVMS now comes with a Hologram SIM card pre-installed, data cost is approx $0.80/£0.70 per month.

OVMS hardware is now being sold in the UK/EU via OpenEnergyMonitor store: https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/open-vehicle-monitor-ovms-wifi-3g-europe/

Lots of other EV's are now supported including eNiro, Soul, Kona, Twizy, Ampera, iON, c-zero, Roadster, Model-s

Screenshot_20190809-155849.png Screenshot_20190828-013929.png

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
This must have been what the chap with the tesla roadster wanted off you before I came to chat at EVITP. if id have realised I might have bought one there and then too. I've been playing with the idea of getting pycarwings2 working on a pi but this seems to have 3g so miles ahead. plus wifi for when on the drive way.
will put an order in. Thanks Glyn

·
Registered
124 Posts
This must have been what the chap with the tesla roadster wanted off you before I came to chat at EVITP. if id have realised I might have bought one there and then too. I've been playing with the idea of getting pycarwings2 working on a pi but this seems to have 3g so miles ahead. plus wifi for when on the drive way.
will put an order in. Thanks Glyn
Yes, that was me :). I installed OVMS in his roadster at EVITP

Thanks, let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Been using it for a month or something, work as expected and highly recommended
Especially love the mqtt server :)
Good to hear. Yes, MQTT server is great, I use it to log SoC and battery temperature to OpenEnergyMonitor Emoncms, interesting to see how the battery heats up when rapid charging multiple times and how the battery cooling system works on my e-NV200

What do you use MQTT for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for slow reply....

So far I only tinker around with it, trying to get a nice dashboard up and running

Skickat från min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts