Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
ZoeZE50 136
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m new to ev owning and am loving it so far. I have a new ZE50 136 GT Line with a type 2 charging plug and I have an Ohme smart charger installed at home. Forgive my ignorance, but I noticed that the the plug on a ccs charger lead tethered to public chargers seems to have a type 2 outlet surmounted by the 2 pin dc outlet.
Is there any possibility of a type 2 plug vehicle using just the ac bit of the charger, albeit at 22kw possibily by having a lock-on adapter so it would plug into the car socket, or, have the blanking cover on the socket removed so the plug would safely fit?
It would be so nice to have the extra choice of infrastructure available to us type 2 folks.🤔

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you look carefully at the CCS connector on the charger you’ll note that apart from the PP and CP pins, the Type2 pins are all missing. It cannot supply AC power.

Many rapid chargers also have a Type2 22kW or 44kW tethered AC lead, but I suspect you know about those already.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
476 Posts
The DC on CCS is not supplied via the same pins as the AC on a type 2, so I don't see why the two couldn't be combined in theory. But CCS chargers always(?) have a tethered cable, and on all those I've looked at the AC pins weren't fitted anyway, so it's not going to work.
Also it would be too confusing for users.

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
406 Posts
As @cah197 says, if it's a GT Line it will have the Rapid Charging socket. Underneath the side-opening charger flap is a second black flap, pull this down and it will allow you to fit the CCS connector.

You'll find CCS is pretty much twice the speed until 50%, even then until 70% it's still 1.5x quicker to charge than 22kW AC.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
869 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m new to ev owning and am loving it so far. I have a new ZE50 136 GT Line with a type 2 charging plug and I have an Ohme smart charger installed at home. Forgive my ignorance, but I noticed that the the plug on a ccs charger lead tethered to public chargers seems to have a type 2 outlet surmounted by the 2 pin dc outlet.
Is there any possibility of a type 2 plug vehicle using just the ac bit of the charger, albeit at 22kw possibily by having a lock-on adapter so it would plug into the car socket, or, have the blanking cover on the socket removed so the plug would safely fit?
It would be so nice to have the extra choice of infrastructure available to us type 2 folks.🤔
The whole point of CCS is for the opposite case to the one you are suggesting. It lets you pull up to an AC charge point (like you have at home) and just use the top, type 2, section of the overall CCS connection.

As mentioned above, all CCS chargers have a tethered lead, so there's no type 2 section of a CCS socket there for you to plug a type 2 AC charging lead into.

In contract, a Leaf has two separate connectors. A type 2 socket for AC charging and a Chademo socket for DC charging.

·
Registered
ZoeZE50 136
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your car has CCS.
No it does not, that was £1000 extra and as I nearly (I said nearly) always use the car for local trips well within range, I didn’t see the point in spending the extra. I only asked the question out of interest in getting more of the future infrastructure available to type plug vehicles.

·
Registered
ZoeZE50 136
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No.

For the simple reason that CCS supplies DC and Type 2 is AC.
Yes, I know, but wouldn’t it be nice if the suppliers thought of doing that. As it is, lots of chargers are not equipped with type 2 outlets, the nereid or otherwise!

·
Registered
ZoeZE50 136
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you look carefully at the CCS connector on the charger you’ll note that apart from the PP and CP pins, the Type2 pins are all missing. It cannot supply AC power.

Many rapid chargers also have a Type2 22kW or 44kW tethered AC lead, but I suspect you know about those already.
Thank you gbt, I hadn’t noticed the pins were absent (I’ve never looked), pity they don’t do it as the rapid chargers that don’t have type 2 facilities would be much more useful to us, the customers.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
869 Posts
... wouldn’t it be nice if the suppliers thought of doing that
No, not at all. If they did then there would be lots of PHEVs with 7kW AC charging plugged in all the time, preventing use of the rapid charger. The rationale is to separate out rapid DC charging and AC charging. It's bad enough already in a ZOE that can charge at 22kW AC to turn up to a 22kW (or 43 kW) AC charge pont and finding it blocked by a PHEV charging at 3.6kW for hours.

·
Registered
ZoeZE50 136
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your car has CCS.
No, not at all. If they did then there would be lots of PHEVs with 7kW AC charging plugged in all the time, preventing use of the rapid charger. The rationale is to separate out rapid DC charging and AC charging. It's bad enough already in a ZOE that can charge at 22kW AC to turn up to a 22kW (or 43 kW) AC charge pont and finding it blocked by a PHEV charging at 3.6kW for hours.
how many times have you come across several rapid chargers, all unoccupied?

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
467 Posts
Tbh it’s a lot more complicated…
the easy solution(which was said earlier) is many have an ac socket for you to use a type 2 cable.
the complex is to run extra cables to carry ac and someone to have an adapter… (as well as a cable for type 2.)

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
406 Posts
No it does not, that was £1000 extra and as I nearly (I said nearly) always use the car for local trips well within range, I didn’t see the point in spending the extra. I only asked the question out of interest in getting more of the future infrastructure available to type plug vehicles.
The GT Lines have Rapid Charging as Standard, no?

·
Registered
869 Posts
how many times have you come across several rapid chargers, all unoccupied?
Frequently, but then the correct solution is to have sufficient, separate type 2 connections on the side of the same chargers, which sometimes happens, and sometimes doesn't. Even better, a large number of destination (type 2) charge points in the car park. Rapid DC chargers are far more expensive than AC charge points. It really is far better to separate the two.

I do come across banks of 4 rapid chargers that are all occupied and have to wait for 10s of minutes to charge.

A bigger problem is a single rapid charger with one or more cars queuing to use it. I move onto plan B. But the problem would be far more frequent if cars with only type 2 AC charging joined the queue.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 Iconic
157 Posts
The GT Lines have Rapid Charging as Standard, no?
They do now. When I started looking into Zoes, just a few months ago, CCS came as optional. Plenty of non-Rapid Charge GT line Zoes can still be found as pre-regs or ex-demo, so buyer beware!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts