Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend, I finally had the opportunity to use the car on a journey that justified trying out the built-in satnav.

I've seen threads here about how to update the maps, but a couple of other issues occurred to me :
1) Is there any way to generate and upload your own Points of Interest (POI) files? I have quite a few on my elderly Garmin and typing them in manually while sat in the car isn't exactly an attractive option.
2) Similar question about the built-in EV Chargepoints list, but also can you filter the results by anything other than charge rate? I am fairly sure it was returning sites that only have Chademo connectors when I tried to filter for rapid charging.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,975 Posts
Similar question about the built-in EV Chargepoints list, but also can you filter the results by anything other than charge rate? I am fairly sure it was returning sites that only have Chademo connectors when I tried to filter for rapid charging.
The update fixes this bit. Yoo now only get a choice of AC or CCS.

On the POI, I tried for ages to do this with Zoe and I couldn't find a way to do it. I was specifically looking for POI for chargers.:(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

So, instead of the four or five choices of charging rate as now, the new filter is just AC or CCS? Have In understood correctly?

Shame about the POI's. I don't have a decent capacity USB going begging at the moment but once I have I'll try a map update and see if that may shed some light on file structures etc.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,975 Posts
In understood correctly?
Yep, just those choices. I tried before the update to show chargers, but I could only work out what type 2 was. List was up to something like type 17. It's a lot easier now.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,862 Posts
On the POI, I tried for ages to do this with Zoe and I couldn't find a way to do it. I was specifically looking for POI for chargers.:(

I posted a pretty easy to follow guide and I provided POI packs which only included sites with AC and split into fast/22kW/rapid locations based on a colour code. I'm surprised you never saw it. Guide was here and on RZOC Facebook files section and the POI packs I stuck on FB group. My POIs were directly from National Chargepoint Registry, I spent quite a bit of time hacking the data out just for Zoe, and I updated them bi-monthly for about a year.

Not really bothered with the MG, I know the comfort update introduces an update which is better at finding chargers, and Naviextras toolbox for updating the Satnav does get updated charger POIs added sporadically.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,975 Posts
I'm surprised you never saw it.
There was a time after the EcoT charging for charging when people were arguing about AC being dropped from Rapids to stop PHEVs being allowed to block them. They were getting so het up that they couldn't accept that Zoes would be stuck to local mileage that I became disenchanted with SpeakEV and stopped clicking on the link. It's only since buying my MG that I've come back for any tips that may be available.

The forum hasn't changed very much and I may stop looking again pretty soon.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,862 Posts
There was a time after the EcoT charging for charging when people were arguing about AC being dropped from Rapids to stop PHEVs being allowed to block them. They were getting so het up that they couldn't accept that Zoes would be stuck to local mileage that I became disenchanted with SpeakEV and stopped clicking on the link. It's only since buying my MG that I've come back for any tips that may be available.

The forum hasn't changed very much and I may stop looking again pretty soon.
The MG ZS EV Facebook group is definitely a lot more chummy! We get along there pretty well.

Although I think there has been some moderation intervention recently, I think because there are so many Zoe owners switching to MG and posting their comparisons and preference of MG over Zoe (on an MG group no less) that its riled up some Zoe owners, which seem to be on the MG group but sticking with Zoe. I'm not sure though as I missed all the fun, I signed on and the posts were already gone but there was some slightly shell shocked other topics on the go.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Zoe Devotee
8,862 Posts
Would that guide be relevant to loading custom POIs to the MG? If so, any chance of a link?
Nah totally different OS, you had to hack into the Rlink on Zoe, which in itself wasn't so difficult, but knowing where to put files was the complicated bit that required a guide.

Most folk are saying the MG OS is WindowsCE based, but we had a member on the FB group saying they got to watch the comfort update being applied and said it was definitely an Android OS underneath but couldn't substantiate any more than that as they were told not to take pictures or record video.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I don't know how accesible the files are in the infotainment unit, but iGo is the most hacked / most customised sat nav on the planet - there are whole forums dedicated to it, with latest maps, POI custom etc etc - you can even change routing types, graphics, colours everything in fact. In fact, you can even reprogram it as far as the UI goes !!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know how accesible the files are in the infotainment unit, but iGo is the most hacked / most customised sat nav on the planet!
So I am gathering, but it's where to put the files and how to get the infotainment unit to pick them up that I don't know.

And I'm now more nervous than I was, because I updated the EV Charging Point list on Friday evening (legitimntely), and it was, well, less than successful shall we say... 😢

I'll post the details of that episode later - there's a Grand Prix to watch now. Yippee!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On Friday evening, I put a 32 GB FAT 32 USB stick in the car and started the navigation update process.

A set of "fingerprint" files were written to the stick - a log, some licence info and a folder tree mainly populated by files with a STM extension, which seemed to be some sort of placeholders for the actual data in the car.

Back at the PC, Naviextras read the stick and registered my device, then informed me that a free update of EV Charging points to Q4 2019 was available. A little odd, since I bought the car in Q1 2020, but I let it download the files to the stick and toddled off back to the car.

Restarted the update process, the car was happy with the updated stick, and apparently updated successfully. No error messages. All good.

Except that the EV Charging Point category in "Places" is now useless. At first it showed only two points, Type 2 AC Menenkes points in the London area ( I am in South Wales). Eventually I realised that if I selected Domestic Plug G (i.e. normal UK 13A) as the plug type a whole slew of other locations would appear, but can't be filtered down further, even though many are listing as having other plug types available.

And, for example, the Motorway Service Area locations that were there before have disappeared.

Eek! Not sure what to do now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts