Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Tesla has a great integrated dashcam, but it doesn't provide sound recording. I have had dashcams for many years and removed mine from the car I just sold because I'd prefer to use it in the Tesla when it arrives. What I wanted to know is if anyone has done this, is there a suitable route to hide the wires (just a front facing cam) and where the fuse box might be to possibly hard-wire it? I could run the wire to one of the rear USB ports or the 12v armrest socket if hardwiring is difficult/not possible...

Ta..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a NextBase 412GW dashcam fitted high up and just behind the left edge of the rear view mirror (inside the left wiper blade sweep).

Although it comes standard with a long DC lead with a mini-USB at one end and cigar plug at the other I replaced mine with a long USB-A to USB-mini lead.
Pushed the initial cable run into the top of the windscreen/roof lining but didn't manage to find a decent route over the A-pillar (it sits over the lining joint).
Ran it inside the rubber door edging seals to the bottom of the passenger B-pillar then tucked under the rear mat and pops out to one of the USB-C sockets at the rear.

I added a small USB-C to USB-A adapter and a USB to USB inline switch (there's no 'ignition' feed so you have to switch it yourself).

Whilst I do forget to turn it off sometimes it does an excellent job of recording sharp videos with sound on a 64GB 'high endurance' SD card.
Can certainly recommend :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a NextBase 412GW dashcam fitted high up and just behind the left edge of the rear view mirror (inside the left wiper blade sweep).

Although it comes standard with a long DC lead with a mini-USB at one end and cigar plug at the other I replaced mine with a long USB-A to USB-mini lead.
Pushed the initial cable run into the top of the windscreen/roof lining but didn't manage to find a decent route over the A-pillar (it sits over the lining joint).
Ran it inside the rubber door edging seals to the bottom of the passenger B-pillar then tucked under the rear mat and pops out to one of the USB-C sockets at the rear.

I added a small USB-C to USB-A adapter and a USB to USB inline switch (there's no 'ignition' feed so you have to switch it yourself).

Whilst I do forget to turn it off sometimes it does an excellent job of recording sharp videos with sound on a 64GB 'high endurance' SD card.
Can certainly recommend :)
I'll be using my Viofo A119, I have the high endurance card that came with my 522gw, I sold that dashcam as I'm not a fan of nextbase cams. Thanks for all your help, I have some USB-A to C adapters

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.