Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow EV'ers.
I am 1 month into owning my EV and I LOVE IT... But have a question?

I use my own vehicle for business miles and have always claimed the approved mileage amounts of 45ppm for the first 10,000 and 25ppm after that...
Is this still the case with EV?
I have read that if its a company car the claim rate is 4ppm but if using your own vehicle then its the above..
In my case I am given a car allowance as part of my salary (In case this makes any difference)

It would really help to get some clarification around this if anyone is aware of any changes happening in the next tax year this would be helpful...

Cheers :):)

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
Yes, it appears it is the same - at least as far as my accounting software reckons.

Of course your company can set any mileage payment they like below the HMRC limit, so don’t shout too loudly about running an EV. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for a quick response on this,
Even if the company say they will only pay out a lower rate, you can still claim a tax rebate at the end of the year for any difference.....
I did this when contracting for a few years where the company would only pay 10ppm, but at the end of every year you can claim back the difference.....

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have a similar query regarding parking with charging thrown in. Presumably the difference in cost between that and parking alone should be deducted from the money I get for my mileage?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Fellow EV'ers.

I use my own vehicle for business miles and have always claimed the approved mileage amounts of 45ppm for the first 10,000 and 25ppm after that...
I have read that if its a company car the claim rate is 4ppm but if using your own vehicle then its the above..
In my case I am given a car allowance as part of my salary (In case this makes any difference)

It would really help to get some clarification around this if anyone is aware of any changes happening in the next tax year this would be helpful...

I am in the same situation. The advice was that rates are the same for EVs and ICE. 45p per mile then 25ppm.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You are quite correct on this, my company recently tried to claim the 4p rate when I’d done a near 400 mile trip from Yorkshire to Reading. I was actually trying to only claim the cost of charging to save the company a bit of money, but they rightly said HRMC won’t pay directly for fuel. But they incorrectly applied the company car rate for EVs. This snafu ended up costing them £180 rather than the £32 I had been claiming in charging costs ?

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
I have a similar query regarding parking with charging thrown in. Presumably the difference in cost between that and parking alone should be deducted from the money I get for my mileage?
There’s no tax implication currently for work provided charging as according to HMRC electricity isn’t a fuel.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The allowance is to offset running costs of your car which includes things other than fuel cost, such as insurance and servicing etc.

John.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The NHS are now dropping the differential rates according to engine size as apparently some big engines are more efficient that some old small engines (many staff using their own cars for work are in the older small category ?)
The mileage rates are based on cost of ownership which I think includes depreciation. Anyway as an ev is more expensive than an ice currently that should factor into it and account for the mileage rate not being reduced for evs (don’t get me started on the cost of parking at work - even when you bring in your car and use it for the employers benefit)
It is a different matter if you have a lease car as you are being reimbursed for the cost of fuel only - and paying a hefty amount for personal use.
I think I saw figures from Fleet publication that costed a Zoe at 69p per mile after all costs were considered.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There was some initial head scratching from our expenses software system which wanted a receipt to claim against...
If you'd charged on EH, you could have printed out their email as a receipt. Possibly other app-based accounts produce a similar email ?

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
894 Posts
If you'd charged on EH, you could have printed out their email as a receipt. Possibly other app-based accounts produce a similar email ?
Yes Rapids would probably have been ok but I’m happy the system was quickly fixed such that it no longer asks.
I guess it was fairly obvious that I will not be the only person to own an electric car.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
For many years I have kept a spreadsheet of car costs, though not rigourously maintained. One sheet is a mileage/annual costing. Having now got an EV I was adapting it the other day to that and was quite surprised at some of the results.
(Note. I do low enough annual mileage that servicing is done by calendar not mileage and is this counted as a fixed cost. If you do more miles then most of it will become a marginal cost.)

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Fellow EV'ers.

Yes it's exactly the same as an ICE car, except management and accounts and colleges constantly jibe on about how you are being paid a petrol allowance for a car that doesn't use any petrol , etc, how can you afford a £40k BMW i3 REX , or £30k Nissan Leaf Tekna, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yes it's exactly the same as an ICE car, except management and accounts and colleges constantly jibe on about how you are being paid a petrol allowance for a car that doesn't use any petrol , etc, how can you afford a £40k BMW i3 REX , or £30k Nissan Leaf Tekna, etc, etc.
I got a colleague upset that with the ULEZ soon extending none of his cars are going to be exempt anymore and that not everyone can afford the 30k I paid for my car. All I can tell him is that my car is now 5 years old, he could probably find one for less than 30k on the 2nd hand market, and might even be better of if he sold his 4 cars to become a single car household like us. But I do thank him for planning on contributing £30 per driving day instead to the London budget. That will help keeping costs low for me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You get a car allowance as well as the MAR figures?
I don't think you can have both a car allowance and the 45p mileage claim without being taxed. The 45p mileage claim is supposed to cover fixed costs such as depreciation as well as fuel. However I agree there is no difference in the 45p mileage claim for electric cars.

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
I don't think you can have both a car allowance and the 45p mileage claim without being taxed. The 45p mileage claim is supposed to cover fixed costs such as depreciation as well as fuel. However I agree there is no difference in the 45p mileage claim for electric cars.
The ‘car allowance’ is just a label the company give to giving you pay in lieu of a company car. What you do with it is your business.

What you can’t do is run a company car and claim the mileage rate. It’s one or the other.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The car allowance will be taxed as income...
Employers are also not obliged to pay the HMRC rates. If they don’t you can claim tax relief on the difference between the rate you get paid and the HMRC rates.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all commenting on this, its really useful and I'm sure others will benefit from this information.
Sorry, i should clarify, My car allowance if just a portion of my salary and i am paying tax on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts