Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've adapted some existing tech to automate Zappi boost charging during 'Plunge Pricing' on 'Octopus Agile'. But have discovered that it's far more useful than I originally imagined.

Using a Smart Wi-Fi Plug to trigger the Zappi 'E-Sense' feature. I thought others might be interested in this.

I've created a more detailed write up, which I've uploaded as a .PDF file with this post, if anyone is really interested, this also explains the additional usefulness that I hadn't initially considered.

I've also uploaded some photos of the manufacturing process, but can't upload the test video due to size restrictions.

IMG_0405.JPG IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0416.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,870 Posts
Good work. How does this manage the risk is that the EV will "go to sleep" whilst waiting for the charge to start?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I've adapted some existing tech to automate Zappi boost charging during 'Plunge Pricing' on 'Octopus Agile'. But have discovered that it's far more useful than I originally imagined.

Using a Smart Wi-Fi Plug to trigger the Zappi 'E-Sense' feature. I thought others might be interested in this.

I've created a more detailed write up, which I've uploaded as a .PDF file with this post, if anyone is really interested, this also explains the additional usefulness that I hadn't initially considered.

I've also uploaded some photos of the manufacturing process, but can't upload the test video due to size restrictions.

View attachment 130646 View attachment 130644

View attachment 130645 View attachment 130647
I haven't read your pdf yet but I'm very interested in doing the same. Thanks for the post
Edit, I've scanned through your pdf quickly, looks like it's working well and exactly what of thought should work. I haven't used IFTTT, can you share what you've done there as well please, or is it so simple that any idiot can do the same?

I have seen other units available that wouldn't require cutting up the unit, can't remember where at the moment and I'm supposed to be working so can't look for it. I might try one of those if I can find them again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea about this and didn't know that an EV can 'go to sleep'!

But as the smart plug triggers the 'E-Sense' feature of the Zappi and initiate a 'Boost Charge', then the 'going to sleep' issue will be handled however the Zappi normally overcomes the problem i.e. just as it did when I had it set up to charge at particular times when cheaper rate energy was available.

In using my 'E-Sense Unit', I don't have any timed charging functions set on the Zappi or on my EV, so as soon as the Zappi is happy to provide a charge (when there is excess solar or when 'E-Sense' is activated) the EV accepts it, as long as the state of charge is below whatever limit I've set.

My charge limit is usually 80% and on the odd occasion that I get a 'Plunge Pricing' alert from Octopus, I wack the charge limit up to 100% - purely to 'condition the battery', as one should from time to time and not just because I want to get paid for using the energy :devilish:.

All I have to do is remember to plug the EV in when I get home each day (which is pretty much second nature now, after owning it for 2 months - but I've not been out as much as I'd like due to lock-down).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hope it works well for you.

I only installed it yesterday and as my EV is currently charged to 100% (due to 'Plunge Pricing') it's going to be a week or so before I can properly evaluate the system.

Just hope the BT engineer that is booked to come out on Wednesday can sort my broadband, as I'm supposed to get 17mb/s, but only get 3.5mb/s and as many as 46 drop outs per day (I'm on the edge of a major town, not out in the sticks), as a flaky Wi-Fi could mess up the system for me! This might explain the 2 minute lag I experienced, we'll see.

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
243 Posts
I have seen other units available that wouldn't require cutting up the unit, can't remember where at the moment .....
If you have smartthings, or can control z-wave items, a Aeotec Nano Switch might be a £45 option. Search amazon for details and costs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IFTTT is really easy to use, I didn't need to read any 'how to' instructions and my first try worked. It ptetty much walks you through it. You set the IF conditions and then what you want to happen when the conditions are met.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
IFTTT is really easy to use, I didn't need to read any 'how to' instructions and my first try worked. It ptetty much walks you through it. You set the IF conditions and then what you want to happen when the conditions are met.
OK, thanks. I'll start to think about it a bit harder this week.
Myenergi had said they were going to get the chargers working with the Agile tariff but that was the end of last year and still no progress. Looks like it will be quicker to just sort it your way, and simple.

·
Registered
137 Posts
@Pyromancer well done on an ingenious solution, I really like this idea. I'm going to have to have a play also.
I have seen other units available that wouldn't require cutting up the unit, can't remember where at the moment and I'm supposed to be working so can't look for it. I might try one of those if I can find them again.
If you don't already have z-wave or Smartthings or similar, I've recently been experimenting with Shelly 1 and Shelly 1PM wifi-connected devices which I've linked to Apple HomeKit via Hoobs on Raspberry Pi, so I can more easily set timers for immersion to take best advantage of Agile tariffs: Shelly 1PM - Shelly Cloud. HomeKit integration means my wife can easily turn it on from her phone if she needs to as well.

Shellys can be controlled locally on LAN via web-interface or local API (which I'm currently using), and although I've not tried it yet, IFTTT integration via shelly.cloud looks possible similar to the TP-Link HS100 devices (of which I also have a couple integrated with HomeKit via Hoobs). There are various other cheap wifi internet switches/relays on Amazon which would do a similar job, but I'm a bit wary of no-name Chinese brands and services.

Thanks for the doc and I'll report back when I get round to setting something up myself!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great, I hope it works for you.

I don't have a smart house, the only smart device is the one that now resides inside my Zappi.

I've updated my description to include the Applets I set up on IFTTT and have attached it here, other control systems are available.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Great, I hope it works for you.

I don't have a smart house, the only smart device is the one that now resides inside my Zappi.

I've updated my description to include the Applets I set up on IFTTT and have attached it here, other control systems are available.
Thanks for this Stephen :)

Have you created the applets yourself as i've had a quick mooch on IFTTT and cant see them. I can see this one but it just contains the On command for the Kasa

Maybe im missing something as it is a bit late :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I created it myself, it's really easy. Take a look at version 2 of my .pdf description, which shows the settings I used.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Cool, I tried to start creating one but it pushes me thru to the platform, I'll have another look shortly 😊👍

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Wahoo!
Its off and working now :D Thanks Stephen :)

The crux for me was that the desktop site was being a pain. as soon as i installed the app on my phone it was a doddle to scroll down and create my own applet.

Big thanks for this as ill test it out a little before seeing if my dad wants one installing in his Zappi. Just about to go off and see if a Rolec has the functionality too

·
Registered
88 Posts

Great idea,

I fitted a Sonoff mini to mine, no hassle and only £7!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've now produced a video detailing what I did it can be found on Youtube at
- Using a Zappi charger to exploit Variable Rate Tariffs.

However, a word of warning - I have discovered that when this system kicks in it drains my Powerwall battery. The Powerwall is doing it's job and trying to stop my use of grid power, but I don't want it to do this when the prices are low.

I can stop the Powerwall from discharging by setting it to 'Back-Up Only', when set to this it only provides energy if there is a powercut, so the Zappi can then only pull power for a 'Boost Charge' from solar/wind and the grid. But as most of the cheap rates are in the early morning, staying up till 1 or 2am to switch it using the app, is a bit of a pain in the arse.

Now I just need to figure out if I can somehow automatically switch the Powerwall to 'Back-Up Only' when the tariff drops to below my set threshold, so the battery doesn't drain.

If someone knows how to do this, do tell.

If it can be done then there would be an added bonus, as the Powerwall charges to 100% (if not already charged) when switched to 'Back-Up Only', which would mean it too would get filled up by the cheaper rate electricity, not just our EV's.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
@Pyromancer I think you could try the opposite approach, though I don't fully grasp the effect on your system. The Zappi can be set to not charge if it sees the current coming from an AC connected battery - you need to connect an additional MyEnergi CT clamp around the output of the Powerwall and then tell the Zappi about the connection (see pages 20 and 21 of the Zappi manual).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the suggestion, but that only works when Eco or Eco+ charging. It doesn't work when 'Boost Charging', which is what happens when 'E-Sense' is activated, because the Zappi is trying to charge the EV with whatever and as much electricity it can source, regardless of its origin - that's what 'Boost Charging' is all about.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts