Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I activated UVO connect and paired the car with my phone. Apart from the fact it looks a little clunky, I am puzzled as to the fact that in the Status screen I get a red 'warning´ status message next to the battery symbol. Google doesn't help much. Anyone has any idea?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same thing about 3 months ago I left it and a few days later it went back to a green tick seems all ok now
I will monitor mine over the next few weeks and report back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Isn’t that the 12v battery, not the drive battery? It discharges over time if you’re not using the car and only charges when your running the car.

I stand to be corrected.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have only done 3000 miles so I don't suspect the 12v battery to be at fault.
It may not be at fault, but it could be desperate for a charge. It is possible that the 12v batteries run down on the long voyage here and with the limited charging the car gives they do not recover. I recommend a good charge of the 12volt battery on an intelligent battery charger. Mine took quite a bit of charge and has been fine since. A red indication on the app may only mean it needs such a charge.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It is telling you that your 12v battery has extremely low voltage and if you don't do something about it your car may fail to operate. What I don't understand is if it is red why a push message is not sent warning you rather than you stumbling upon it in the app.
Solution charge your car, 12v gets charged at same time, turn car fully on and leave or drive for 30 mins or more, or manually charge with a battery charger

·
Registered
194 Posts
It is telling you that your 12v battery has extremely low voltage and if you don't do something about it your car may fail to operate. What I don't understand is if it is red why a push message is not sent warning you rather than you stumbling upon it in the app.
Solution charge your car, 12v gets charged at same time, turn car fully on and leave or drive for 30 mins or more, or manually charge with a battery charger
If the 12V battery is low on charge, whilst a 30 minute run will put some charge in there's no way on earth it will properly recover it to the ideal 100% SOC. Lead acid batteries simply cannot be fully charged in a short time, no matter what the charge rate may be. They require a minimum of 12h and preferably 24h to properly charge to the ideal 100% state and condition. Failure to do this full recovery charge, would leave the battery in a compromised state going forwards.

IMO, the dealerships should always apply a slow and full replenishing charge to the 12V battery as part of the PDI process before handover. Sadly, I doubt this actually happens. It is one of the first things I will do when I take my new car (hopefully later this week!). The battery state will almost certainly be poor after the 6/8 weeks shipment. Just because the car may start and run ok, does not prove that the 12V battery is in good healthy shape. Lead acid batteries are only truly happy when they are at 100% SOC. They rarely achieve this state in typical operation unfortunately.

Peter

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for you replies. I collected the car on Friday and did a total of about 5 hours' driving over the weekend. Yesterday I activated the UVO app and saw the warning. Strange it didn't het charged.

Overnight I charged the car on the granny and this morning the battery is all fine and dandy ('normal' in comforting green letters). I'll make sure to check it over the next weeks. Since I am in a temporary house, my voltage meter is in storage so cannot check the battery. I hope it's OK now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What Prawlin says is exactly right for a battery that’s significantly discharged, which actually is the case if the voltage drops only a little.
An AGM battery is about 12.9v fully charged and is fully discharged at 11.4v at which point it will be damaged.
You could get a low battery warning anywhere around 12.5v or a little lower. At that point running the car or charging the battery will prevent any harm and won’t take too long to top up.
So, once charged up, running the car every few days or charging/running as soon as warning is seen should be enough to take care of battery.

As I understand things, as always I stand to be corrected.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Xinix
It could be the app was catching up with things. 5 hours should have been enough to top up the 12v which doesn’t, I understand, get charged when you charge the drive battery.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Xinix
It could be the app was catching up with things. 5 hours should have been enough to top up the 12v which doesn’t, I understand, get charged when you charge the drive battery.
I have read that the 12V battery actually is getting charged whilst ever the traction battery is on charge. But even 5 hours is not enough to fully do the job! To properly recover a lead acid battery takes longer, much longer!

However, reports suggest that these cars may have a slightly whacky 12V charging system that doesn’t seem to behave like you might expect. To give the battery a good long trickle charge from a mains charger seems to be the best thing to do. Maybe even periodically, even if car is driven regularly. Folk who have done this seem to have no further issues.

Peter

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yeah, I´ve been reading up on that too. My car was delivered to me on Friday, but I know it entered the country in July. The dealer will likely not have charged the battery fully so it now just depends on the charge it gets from the traction battery,

This night the car was on the granny for about 11 hours. It certainly looks like charging the high voltage battery takes care of the 12V as well, or the auxiliary battery charging has done its work. I haven´t yet checked if the pertinent message is on the display but will do. For peace of mind´s sake, I think I will get myself an emergency booster in case I someday find myself with a drained 12V battery.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If the 12V battery has been left flat for a period of time, before then jump starting the car to get it going, it could be seriously degraded, permanently (Even though it may appear to be working!). The storage capacity could be badly reduced.

The very worst thing you can do to a lead acid battery is to store it for any length of time in a fully discharged state!

Peter

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will keep an eye on it. If I get more warnings on the UVO app I´ll contact the dealer.

Thing is, the dealers know very little about the EVs. The salesman that ´explained´ the car to me knew zilch. He didn´t know the difference between AC / DC charging, did not know what VESS was or what the button does that locks / automatically unlocks the plug. So I am pretty sure they don´t have a clue about keeping the 12V in shape prior to delivery.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I will keep an eye on it. If I get more warnings on the UVO app I´ll contact the dealer.

Thing is, the dealers know very little about the EVs. The salesman that ´explained´ the car to me knew zilch. He didn´t know the difference between AC / DC charging, did not know what VESS was or what the button does that locks / automatically unlocks the plug. So I am pretty sure they don´t have a clue about keeping the 12V in shape prior to delivery.
Correct, on all counts! Dealers know diddlysquat about anything EV. Even Including basic knowledge on simple lead acid batteries. It’s an industry wide issue, Sadly.
Peter

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

This is what it looks like now. Yesterday it said ´Warning'

·
Registered
194 Posts
NORMAL?? That could mean anything. WTF doesn’t it just indicate the actual present terminal Voltage?
I so hate it when things are dumbed down like this. (I suppose it’s my engineering background)

Peter

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NORMAL?? That could mean anything. WTF doesn’t it just indicate the actual present terminal Voltage?
I so hate it when things are dumbed down like this. (I suppose it’s my engineering background)
Being an engineering manager myself I had the same question :)

I must get this OBD2 dongle someday. Although I don´t wanna. It´s a car, not a hobby project

1 - 20 of 74 Posts