Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, only had the MY20 for 3 days but already I’m getting a little annoyed...

Can someone explain to me how to use the UVO app to remotely tell the car to start pre-heating the cabin?

I’ve tried using the “HVAC settings” button but that essentially seems to be doing nothing.
I also tried “Start air con”. 50% of the time I get a Failed response. The other times I go to the car a couple of minutes later, and there’s basically nothing seemingly happening...

Am I misunderstanding what’s possible?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmmm yes I have the same problem and yet to find out, is your car plugged in or not? that may make a difference, and also try hitting the start button on the UVO the try the HVAC.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The joys of buggy apps and comms I fear! Dogged my i3 too :cautious:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Currently only tried with the car not plugged.
Pretty certain it only works when plugged in. Just put mine on and it worked fine. Tried it a few days ago when it wasn't plugged in and it failed. Makes sense. You don't want to deplete your battery unnecessarily.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it makes sense... and yet on my Zoe there was a way to do that. It was limited to 15 min when unplugged (but never needed more than 5 min to get nice and toasty inside...)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,421 Posts
Pretty certain it only works when plugged in. Just put mine on and it worked fine. Tried it a few days ago when it wasn't plugged in and it failed. Makes sense. You don't want to deplete your battery unnecessarily.
I have seen this stated by others too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It should be the same as Hyundai Bluelink. It will work without being plugged in. HVAC button is the settings and if you leave the hide HVAC settings unchecked the settings will pop up when you start the remote climate control with start air con so you can adjust the settings on the fly.
To check it is working in the app do a refresh. Always do a refresh there does not appear to be any automatic refreshing in the app.
I think people are reporting the failed response message because they are sending the command more than once, because without refreshing the screen it does not appear the command has worked.
Try whilst standing next to the car you will hear the climate come on and on my Ioniq the air con controls light up. It only lasts max 15ims as stated above. In Bluelink you get a push message saying the climate will end in so many minutes think it's at 5 mins to go.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,421 Posts
My mistake, Kia Soul EV not pluged in. Just tested UVO sending "AC ON" set at 21degC. Standing beside the car (without the key), I can hear and clearly see the AC controls lighting up and setting 21degC. And also the charging light on top of the dash lit up (so it was clear the car was doing something from a far). Sorry, tried to take a picture but failed miserably.

So, is it possible it is something with the OP's eNiro?

·
Registered
16 Posts
It does work on my MY20 when not plugged in but is buggy. I find first time invariably fails, but it's fine if you send the command a second time after the failed notification.

·
Registered
98 Posts
works every time on my US Niro EV. In the app, bottom menu "REMOTE" then when it changes screens, top menu "REMOTE START".... set temp where you want it, then bottom of the screen "START"

Is your app different?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,421 Posts

This is my remote UVO screen. Once, I press "Start air con", get another screen with temp settings.

I'm thinking, we might be confusing things as some talk about heating, and I'm testing AC.

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
104 Posts
The heating will only work when plugged in. The air con works when disconnected.

During the summer I often switched my air con on before returning to the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Kia e-Niro
104 Posts
It should be the same as Hyundai Bluelink. It will work without being plugged in. HVAC button is the settings and if you leave the hide HVAC settings unchecked the settings will pop up when you start the remote climate control with start air con so you can adjust the settings on the fly.
To check it is working in the app do a refresh. Always do a refresh there does not appear to be any automatic refreshing in the app.
I think people are reporting the failed response message because they are sending the command more than once, because without refreshing the screen it does not appear the command has worked.
Try whilst standing next to the car you will hear the climate come on and on my Ioniq the air con controls light up. It only lasts max 15ims as stated above. In Bluelink you get a push message saying the climate will end in so many minutes think it's at 5 mins to go.
Hope this helps.
I’ve just stood next to the car, locked, plugged in and not charging.

Set the departure time to 5 mins later, 23c switched on all the heating - nothing happened. Switched on the air con it all started up green battery light flashing.

Ran for 15-20 secs and turned off. Did it again now been running for 5 mins with everything working.

The main battery has lost 1% even though it’s connected. Auxiliary battery light is flashing.

Strange behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm thinking, we might be confusing things as some talk about heating, and I'm testing AC.
they’re not helping in making this less ambiguous in the app... first, AC in HVAC stands for air condition, last i checked. Second, the next screen that appears whether you press “Start air con” or “HVAC Settings” is the same

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
198 Posts
We all tend to think of AC as just for cooling. I’m suspecting, you have to turn on the AC to get heating also. Just set the desired temperature (which may be below or above the cabin ambient!) After all, you are Conditioning the Air whether it is cooling or heating. Not got my car yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is how it works.

Peter

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they’re not helping in making this less ambiguous in the app... first, AC in HVAC stands for air condition, last i checked. Second, the next screen that appears whether you press “Start air con” or “HVAC Settings” is the same
I did some tests this morning. Thanks to @GMat for his pointer:
It will work without being plugged in. HVAC button is the settings and if you leave the hide HVAC settings unchecked the settings will pop up when you start the remote climate control with start air con so you can adjust the settings on the fly.
So indeed, it does work without being plugged in. The "HVAC Settings" page is just to adjust the settings in the app, it doesn't send anything to the car. The "Start air con" is the only button to use. If you click the "hide HVAC pop up" checkbox in he "HVAC Settings", the "Start air con" sends whatever you set in the app to the car, otherwise it shows that screen to allow adjusting those settings before sending them to the car.

It works even if the car is not plugged in (the car is very silent compared to the Renault Zoe which is why I thought it wasn't working). The first of the 3 lights on top of the console does light up and flash (but if the windscreen is misty you won't be able to see it anyway). At least setting the temperature and defrost the windscreen work. "Heating" (of back window and mirrors I think based on the icons) does not - maybe that requires being plugged in, I still need to test that.

After about 15 minutes it stops by itself.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
222 Posts
We all tend to think of AC as just for cooling. I’m suspecting, you have to turn on the AC to get heating also. Just set the desired temperature (which may be below or above the cabin ambient!) After all, you are Conditioning the Air whether it is cooling or heating. Not got my car yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is how it works.

Peter
I think that depends if you have a heatpump. Mine doesn´t (I live in Spain, so not really required, especially in the south) and it has a button ´heat´ which turns on the resistive heating system.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts