Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 40kw leaf is able to provide V2G. But I was wondering if the 24-30kw leafs are able to use V2G?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Yes. There is an issue that Nissan GB will not support their battery guarantee with it, but it certainly works. Given that a lot of cars are now out of their battery guarantee it is not necessarily an issue. You may be able to sign up for the OVO trial still.

·
Read Only
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. There is an issue that Nissan GB will not support their battery guarantee with it, but it certainly works. Given that a lot of cars are now out of their battery guarantee it is not necessarily an issue. You may be able to sign up for the OVO trial still.
Any reason to this? Are the batteries poor in the 24-30kw?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
917 Posts
That makes sense , say the battery is drained a bit each night to help demand then topped up again your just adding extra charge / discharge cycles to your battery. Might work if you only do say 10 miles a week such as local shops but for most it would have an impact

·
Read Only
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense , say the battery is drained a bit each night to help demand then topped up again your just adding extra charge / discharge cycles to your battery. Might work if you only do say 10 miles a week such as local shops but for most it would have an impact
It's strange because why make it a thing if the manufacturers aren't going to back it? I was going to get my pod point charging point replaced with OVO smart charger. Maybe I won't now

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
There is no evidence to support that, but there is no published reason. The strange thing is that the OVO unit only charges/discharges at 6.6kW which is near enough to the 6.0kW onboard charger option that Nissan supply to say why should there be? Perhaps it is too fast for "only" a 24 (as opposed to a 40), but is way below the level of a Rapid.
V2G apparently doesn't harm the battery with the extra cycles so long as it doesn't approach the extremes.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
917 Posts
I don’t understand how it can not degrade your battery though. While I know extremes are bad, It was my understanding even small discharge / charge cycles were cumulative in their effect on degradation. E.g. those small charges add up in the long run.

If that’s true is there a”window” of battery use that is effectively non detrimental to the battery?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I don't believe it either! Probably they mean that it isn't possible to separate the effect from the cycles involving use where drive is taken at 0-80kW and charge at 0-30kW.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My understanding is this, I was interested in going on the V2G trial and made a lot of enquiries, at the time Nissan would only backup the battery warranty on the 30 and 40Kw models, however OVO were in discussion with Nissan to see if they would also honour the warranty on the 24Kw model.
I never followed up to find out what the outcome was as the maths didnt work for me.
As far as degradation goes there was some research that suggested that the extra charging cycles did not have a detrimental effect on the battery SOH, (that is why Nissan supported the warranty ie it wont cost them anything)

I liked the idea but the trial was very restricitve in the hours that the export was being done, I was quoted massive savings but when I analysed the numbers it was complete rubbish, also it was not known at the time what would happen at the end of the trial, yes you get to keep the charger but it is managed by a 3rd party platform (kaluza) I wanted V2H after the trial they could not say if that would be supported, even though the charger is capable of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts