Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Zoe Exp I - Ariya Evolve 87k
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
for the lucky/unlucky owners of EV fitted with a CHAdeMO, the V2H/G is already a reality.
I have a CCS2 so I cannot use it, but I look forward to find a charger which can enable me to use my car(s) as battery backup.

Please share your experience and news here.

·
Registered
MG5
1,320 Posts
Hi, what car do you have as there are a few threads on V2L just put it in the search bar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's only a reality if you're on a trial endorsed by the DNO.
True, but I found already someone in this forum which is using the technology. I was invited to participate but I had no compatible car :(.
Hi, what car do you have as there are a few threads on V2L just put it in the search bar.
V2L is supported by EV6 and IONIQ, it is similar but not the same.
The V2H/G is smarter as you keep the car plugged in, and the energy flows one way or the other depending on your configuration.
We are still in an early stage but if I get some good info before I get my solar PV installed, I might decide to skip the purchase of battery storage.

I will search V2L maybe I can learn more

·
Registered
237 Posts
he worth a chat
It made me laugh and thing about which vehicle i lease next :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a while, and have seen Americans doing something similar. Is there anything to stop people back feeding power from a V2L car back in to their house via the consumer unit by the following method (apart from the output limit of the car possibly being exceeded due to high powered devices)?

Intercept the meter tails with some form of rotary switch that can accept two input sources and switch to one output. Install new tails to the consumer unit from the switched output and then wire a commando socket to the second switched input (for V2L), then re-wire the old meter tails to the first switched input.

Using a switch (if they exist) you could then isolate the incoming mains supply and switch over to the car and vice versa.

I suppose this would rely on the car being able to supply instant power from its output, else you'd lose power for a little while so wouldn't be very convenient.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been thinking about this for a while, and have seen Americans doing something similar. [...]
The DIY option is of course there, but you really need to know what you are doing.
This is why standards are being refined, to provide safety, reliability and avoid any form of damage to the vehicle or house electric system.

The standard is only one part of the problem, proper chargers have been designed to allow you to fully control charge and discharge, not only from a time perspective but also quantity, you don't want to dry your car for example.

Though the real push for this technology, is not of course letting people save money in electricity bills, nor facilitate the "off the grid" movement, but instead pave the way the development of smart grids, capable to balance the load on the grid, using all connected vehicles and powerwalls as possible source of power or dumping storage.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Intercept the meter tails with some form of rotary switch that can accept two input sources and switch to one output. Install new tails to the consumer unit from the switched output and then wire a commando socket to the second switched input (for V2L), then re-wire the old meter tails to the first switched input.
If you think that’s all there is to it then my advice would be not to start.

For a start, do you know if a V2L car is IT or TN earthing? How is that going to interact with your existing electric shock protection, which may not be designed for the same type of supply? How are you going to deal with over current protection given that most of the devices in your consumer unit will be useless under the circumstances you describe? The switch could be rotary, but that’s not really the most critical attribute.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts