Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The videos I’ve seen of the V2L feature show reviewers plugging 3 pin plugs into the EV6’s V2L adapter to run appliances, but does anyone know if there is a commando option? I’m thinking for waterproof use on a campsite with the car being the hook up post.

When we camp we use a cable that has a blue commando plug on one end and an RCD protected extension lead on the other end inside the tent that allows 3 things to be plugged in at once.

Could the commando be plugged into the V2L port somehow or will it only accept a 3 pin plug?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
If your 'commando' is the 16A version (usually found on campsites) then any caravan accessory shop will have an adaptor lead with a 3 pin (13A) plug one end and a blue socket on the other (opposite of the one you already have) normally used so that you can plug the 25m orange cable into a home plug.

Reactions: DiavelDes

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric - thanks, I already have one of these adapters but I didn’t think a 3 pin plug in the V2L socket would be IP rated for the British weather. The blue 16a connectors can sit out in the rain but you couldn‘t do that with a 3 pin plug - or - am I missing something in the design of the V2L connector that it closes over the plug and makes it weather tight?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s a shame, you couldn’t really ever rely on being able to use the V2L feature then unless it was for something in your garage, at least here with the UK weather!

Has anything been firmed up yet on the tow bar side of things, as in can the base single motor tow the same amount as the dual motor versions. And what of the 30% minimum mentioned when towing. What happens if you dip below 30%, are they just suggesting it is not recommended and might damage the battery?

·
Registered
64 Posts
How about using the internal 13A socket under the rear seats if you have it?

Run the cable out the window, with some tape over it to make it waterproof, or drill a hole with a grommet :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
18 Posts
The phrase ‘chocolate teapot’ springs to mind.
K
The phrase ‘chocolate teapot’ springs to mind.
Why do you say such a sarcastic thing? Presumably you don't have the car.
The latest model EV6 GT-line S I have just taken delivery of has a totally waterproof enclosure for the appliance plug. The manual states to not use a non- waterproof APPLIANCE OR APPLIANCE CABLE in the rain. That is only common sense anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too am looking to use the EV6 as a large powerbank. On the assumption that the adapter is indeed waterproof (which I was told was the case when closed around the plug), any difficulty closing it or anyone aware of a 3pin end on connector (as is the case with some continental plugs and shown in many videos) rather than the UK standard right angle arrangement?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too am looking to use the EV6 as a large powerbank. On the assumption that the adapter is indeed waterproof (which I was told was the case when closed around the plug), any difficulty closing it or anyone aware of a 3pin end on connector (as is the case with some continental plugs and shown in many videos) rather than the UK standard right angle arrangement?
I guess your reference to continental plugs means using one into a UK socket adaptor plugged into the V2L. I doubt that this is possible as the waterproof closure is too short plus the appliance cable exits underneath the V2L. You would need to rewire the appliance with a normal UK plug and use a continental adaptor abroad. Is the V2L different with cars supplied on the continent?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,568 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, didn't make myself clear. UK standard plugs have the wire exiting at right angles to the direction the plug is inserted which means that with the thick cable used in a commando cable adapter the bottom half of the adapter will have difficulty closing, ergo not waterproof. What I am looking for is something like this but at a sensible price as it allows the cable to come out straight (same as some continental and Korean ones do) hence allowing the cover to close properly. These seem to be £25 each which is a bit steep for a plug. Hence also my question to anyone who already has their car as to if anyone has tried a UK standard plug plus cable to see if it fits properly with the bottom cover closed?
Gas Font Technology Auto part Composite material

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ 5 Project 45 LR AWD
18 Posts
No, it doesn’t. You need to use a 16A cable to carry 3.6 kW which is quite thick, and it definitely doesn’t allow the rear part of the adapter to close. I will be using mine under a car port to power the house in the event of a power cut (and yes, it works superbly), so it isn’t actually exposed to the rain. The ZSSH plug would solve the problem, but as you say, quite expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We do a lot of festivals where there is no onsite power so this is a big deal so I've ordered one of the plugs and once received (coming from china - UK ones were £50 a piece!) I will modify the commando lead and take some before and after pictures for comparison for those of you that need to know. My car is due 8th December so will take me a couple of weeks so back soonish (not that we are really in camping season at the moment and still no tow bar options available).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Probably worth contacting “Tough Leads dot co dot uk “ They do loads of extension leads and adapters for EVs sure they will be able to advise, I have found them really useful in the past. https://toughleads.co.uk/

I have one of there leads for granny charging they can be made super safe with RCD etc.

See what they say below
“High quality extension leads constructed using heavy duty H07RN-F cable and top spec connectors, designed to withstand harsh environments in commercial, industrial, event, stage lighting and on-site applications. Also ideal for the connection of caravans and motor homes across Europe.

The camping adaptor range includes solutions to use a 16A CEE plug in almost every country of the World. If you cannot see the adaptor you require, please do get in touch, as we can make a vast array of custom leads, many from parts in stock.

·
Registered
517 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts