Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
test drove a V60 hybrid yesterday and was kinda blown away but the ride quality, I've read a lot of harsh reviews, and I thought it was brilliant, not an R design and had 17' wheels with Michelin PS3's fitted.

battery was flat, but I charged it to about 15% on my little test drive, loved the car but was a bit surprised as its trip computer saying 40.2mpg average, is that to be expected?

my biggest gripe, I've got an older single turbo Euro 4 D5 with a sport remap, I love driving the car, the V60 felt pretty awesome, but just had no kind of fun factor when you put your foot down, I mean it takes off, its unbelievably smooth and quick, ish, I personally like the handling but then i'm used to a Volvo, has anyone had one remapped? I've been looking into it but can't seem to find anyone who's actually done it.

my commute is less than 15 miles so can easily be done in EV mode, loved the car, but it just seems too expensive over the regular V60 to justify it, and the regular V60 imo is not as good as the hybrid.

one of the most impressive things about the experience, the Cardiff dealer I went to, the sales woman I spoke to actually knew the battery warranty is different to the regular vehicle warranty, I almost bought the car based on the fact she knew that the hybrid is a little different! they had 3 in, and one sold whilst I was in the waiting area, guy straight in the one I drove once I finished trying, didn't realise they were so popular.

if the model 3 wasn't due to be coming out within the next 2 years I think I would of bought it, but I'm thinking to hold onto my manual until that comes out as it'll probably be the last manual car I ever own, and possibly the last ICE I own, is it really worth spending a hell of a lot of money on something that isn't quite what I want whilst I still enjoy the car I have now? I'm sold on EV's since having a Leaf but I want a comfortable car, if the model 3 is as good as its supposed to be I'm already sold, I love the idea of the D6, and to an extend loved the car, but it feels like I would be putting money into to obsolete tech which in a couple of years maybe worthless.

Just curious to what people get out of their V60's, and how is it as a car to live with?

I should add in this wasn't a new car, had approx. 35k on the clock, 2 years old.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
test drove a V60 hybrid yesterday and was kinda blown away but the ride quality, I've read a lot of harsh reviews, and I thought it was brilliant, not an R design and had 17' wheels with Michelin PS3's fitted.

battery was flat, but I charged it to about 15% on my little test drive, loved the car but was a bit surprised as its trip computer saying 40.2mpg average, is that to be expected?

my biggest gripe, I've got an older single turbo Euro 4 D5 with a sport remap, I love driving the car, the V60 felt pretty awesome, but just had no kind of fun factor when you put your foot down, I mean it takes off, its unbelievably smooth and quick, ish, I personally like the handling but then i'm used to a Volvo, has anyone had one remapped? I've been looking into it but can't seem to find anyone who's actually done it.

my commute is less than 15 miles so can easily be done in EV mode, loved the car, but it just seems too expensive over the regular V60 to justify it, and the regular V60 imo is not as good as the hybrid.

one of the most impressive things about the experience, the Cardiff dealer I went to, the sales woman I spoke to actually knew the battery warranty is different to the regular vehicle warranty, I almost bought the car based on the fact she knew that the hybrid is a little different! they had 3 in, and one sold whilst I was in the waiting area, guy straight in the one I drove once I finished trying, didn't realise they were so popular.

if the model 3 wasn't due to be coming out within the next 2 years I think I would of bought it, but I'm thinking to hold onto my manual until that comes out as it'll probably be the last manual car I ever own, and possibly the last ICE I own, is it really worth spending a hell of a lot of money on something that isn't quite what I want whilst I still enjoy the car I have now? I'm sold on EV's since having a Leaf but I want a comfortable car, if the model 3 is as good as its supposed to be I'm already sold, I love the idea of the D6, and to an extend loved the car, but it feels like I would be putting money into to obsolete tech which in a couple of years maybe worthless.

Just curious to what people get out of their V60's, and how is it as a car to live with?

I should add in this wasn't a new car, had approx. 35k on the clock, 2 years old.
I'm not a big lover of the Volvos (ex V50 owner), but those that like Volvos seem to love the V60 PHEV.
Am guessing that if you charged the battery whilst driving, then that might account for the lower fuel economy. But equally fuel economy was one of my gripes with the V50. Real world was a country mile away from the nedc figures, unless you actually drove like a nun (and I am no Lewis Hamilton at the best of times!)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a big lover of the Volvos (ex V50 owner), but those that like Volvos seem to love the V60 PHEV.
Am guessing that if you charged the battery whilst driving, then that might account for the lower fuel economy. But equally fuel economy was one of my gripes with the V50. Real world was a country mile away from the nedc figures, unless you actually drove like a nun (and I am no Lewis Hamilton at the best of times!)
The NEDC figures just like the figures for our beloved EV's are a total joke! strangely the old euro 3 D5 engine would usually get considerably better figures than NEDC, (I owned one) then bought the Euro 4 version and found a huge drop in MPG :(

I know the 155mpg is a silly claim but I was expecting to see it in the 50's

night and day difference between the V50 & V60, I find it a shame ford were allowed to ruin the Volvo brand so much with the cheaper quality cars :(

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The NEDC figures just like the figures for our beloved EV's are a total joke! strangely the old euro 3 D5 engine would usually get considerably better figures than NEDC, (I owned one) then bought the Euro 4 version and found a huge drop in MPG :(

I know the 155mpg is a silly claim but I was expecting to see it in the 50's

night and day difference between the V50 & V60, I find it a shame ford were allowed to ruin the Volvo brand so much with the cheaper quality cars :(
50's would surely be top end for that lump ? High 50's to low 60's was my average on a normal tank in my 1.6D V50 !
Sounded like a bag of spanners on a fast spin too :(
I got it above 80mpg twice in 3 years ..... nedc was 84.7mpg.....

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
50's would surely be top end for that lump ? High 50's to low 60's was my average on a normal tank in my 1.6D V50 !
Sounded like a bag of spanners on a fast spin too
I got it above 80mpg twice in 3 years ..... nedc was 84.7mpg.....
highest I had out of the euro 3 d5 163hp engine was 72mpg, used to average just over 50, newer d5 I have getting around 40 :(

very easy to get high 50's low 60's on a run in the old d5's

those 1.6 diesels were pretty much used in most car brands, think it was Renault engine?

just to add insult to injury when ford allowed the d5's in the v50's they were often on par with economy with the 1.6, and had less maintenance, only downside more frequent tyre changes and higher road tax and more fun ;)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
highest I had out of the euro 3 d5 163hp engine was 72mpg, used to average just over 50, newer d5 I have getting around 40 :(

very easy to get high 50's low 60's on a run in the old d5's

those 1.6 diesels were pretty much used in most car brands, think it was Renault engine?

just to add insult to injury when ford allowed the d5's in the v50's they were often on par with economy with the 1.6, and had less maintenance, only downside more frequent tyre changes and higher road tax and more fun ;)
That sounds about bang on the money. The only advantage of the 1.6 lawnmower engine was low emissions, thus low benefit in kind as a company car.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds about bang on the money. The only advantage of the 1.6 lawnmower engine was low emissions, thus low benefit in kind as a company car.
in a strange twist I think that's what my initial feelings about the hybrid Volvo are, its a great car, but its only real advantage is for a company car, its simply to expensive, I mean its an excellent hybrid, most of the negatives I've seen seem to be based on the R-Design, which personally for me are too harsh a ride anyway.

For people such as myself that have company car but would like to own a nice car they are just unreachable :(

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
in a strange twist I think that's what my initial feelings about the hybrid Volvo are, its a great car, but its only real advantage is for a company car, its simply to expensive, I mean its an excellent hybrid, most of the negatives I've seen seem to be based on the R-Design, which personally for me are too harsh a ride anyway.

For people such as myself that have company car but would like to own a nice car they are just unreachable :(
The Hybrids were certainly a bit pricy when they were new !

·
Registered
57 Posts
I love mine, se lux spec. Average over the last 1600 miles is 71.2mpg. Over the 56000 I've had it the average is in the low 60's. I charge it at night at home and around half the week can access a charge point at work. At motorway speeds the range is only around 20 miles. I do opportunity charge on type 2's when I get the chance and it fits in with the day.

Upsides are the smoothness and easily accessible urge, great for overtaking.
Nice cabin.
Upgraded stereo nice.
Great seats.
Good on company car tax.

Downsides
Boot is tiny.
Ride a touch harsh and steering a touch vague.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We have had our v60 phev for 6 months now and in that time have spent £100 on diesel, and have Covered 3500 miles we looked at what we used the car for, mostly town driving, school run etc very rare is the ice used. We had a 7kw charger fitted at our house and our solar help keep the charger costs down.

Service cost not bad and got service plan costing £19.99 per month. Only issue is diesel exhaust fumes around the car and cabin, Volvo are looking into this for us

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
We have had our v60 phev for 6 months now and in that time have spent £100 on diesel, and have Covered 3500 miles we looked at what we used the car for, mostly town driving, school run etc very rare is the ice used. We had a 7kw charger fitted at our house and our solar help keep the charger costs down.

Service cost not bad and got service plan costing £19.99 per month. Only issue is diesel exhaust fumes around the car and cabin, Volvo are looking into this for us
Interesting you mention about the fumes, my wife used to complain about that with my V50. Sadly my sense of smell is terrible, so I rarely noticed it.
I think the layout of the exhaust must trap some of the fumes under the rear bumper, which then creeps up through the drain holes in the boot floor ....?

·
Well-Loved Member
1,014 Posts
@Andy Scott can you say whether the fumes are of spent or unspent fuel?

Reason I ask is that every V60 PHEV has both electrical and auxiliary fuel-burning heaters fitted and I've been through the weird smells phase myself (dare say my wife would argue I'm still in it).

Once the ambient temperature drops below 15C, and assuming you have Outdoor Parking set in the LH stalk interface, you'll get a faint whiff of diesel and what seems to be burning paraffin - kerosene/paraffin and diesel being pretty similar - whenever you drive the car or use preconditioning. That's the heater working its magic.

I don't actually mean magic of course. It might be one of the reasons V60 owners can stay warm and get a consistent 25-30 miles from their battery come what may, but really it's cheating (in that it's sipping away at the contents of your tank).

More info in the manual: Fuel-driven heater

I ought to post a summary of my experience with the car - which has averaged 148.5mpg and includes a trip to the dealer to cure a really odd fault - because it's been a real :love::mad: thing with a small dose of :eek: and :sick:

·
Registered
29 Posts
@Andy Scott can you say whether the fumes are of spent or unspent fuel?

Reason I ask is that every V60 PHEV has both electrical and auxiliary fuel-burning heaters fitted and I've been through the weird smells phase myself (dare say my wife would argue I'm still in it).

Once the ambient temperature drops below 15C, and assuming you have Outdoor Parking set in the LH stalk interface, you'll get a faint whiff of diesel and what seems to be burning paraffin - kerosene/paraffin and diesel being pretty similar - whenever you drive the car or use preconditioning. That's the heater working its magic.

I don't actually mean magic of course. It might be one of the reasons V60 owners can stay warm and get a consistent 25-30 miles from their battery come what may, but really it's cheating (in that it's sipping away at the contents of your tank).

More info in the manual: Fuel-driven heater

I ought to post a summary of my experience with the car - which has averaged 148.5mpg and includes a trip to the dealer to cure a really odd fault - because it's been a real :love::mad: thing with a small dose of :eek: and :sick:

Usually get the smell when stationary with ICE running, took it to the dealership and they could find no faults. Only really noticed it once the cold weather has kicked.

Not sure if it's the pre heater, but I have used this feature when plugged in at the house to have the car warm and toasty for the school run.

Would have thought the auto air quality sensor would switch over if it picked up fumes too. Still, we love the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts