Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just interested - the ZS is now selling at £3k more or less than it was with the MG grant etc, so I'm just wondering how people who own one, and are living with the various issues, would value it given the new base price level - and how much extra they would have been happy to pay if they'd have known at the start what the issues were going to be ?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,352 Posts
My purchasing power is down to the monthly payments. I'd still want one if it was more expensive, but wouldn't have been able to afford it.

Basically, I believe that it is worth more than the price paid. Just need the bongs and delay timing sorted. What car doesn't have 'niggles' with the first edition. Zoe's were myriad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You have to pay a lot more money to get anything better.
I'm really pleased with my purchase. Sure it has niggles but nothing unbearable.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I was in the third batch of 1000 customers so didn't get the free home charger like earlier buyers, I rushed to get in my order before the books closed. I did get a type 2 cable included.
I think it was good value when you could buy the Exclusive with metallic paint, including delivery charges for about £24,200.

Bluntly, I don't think the quality of the ICE ZS is good enough to be a £20,000 car, or the eZS to be worth over £27000. They've done well in keeping costs down without making the car feel cheap and nasty.

When you compare it with the ICE version, you're swapping out the engine, gearbox, exhaust etc to fit a mechanically simpler motor, gearbox, battery and electronics.
I would say that the price difference is mainly going to be in the battery pack and the management systems (controller, charger etc). The eZS battery isn't that big, so if you consider the Zoe 40kWh model used to cost £5k extra to own and not lease the battery, I'd say the eZS should cost maybe £5500 more than the fossil version.

MG have said that they were buying market share by offering excellent value, and the deep discounting seems to be going away across the entire catalogue. I think they'll have to step up their game to do that.

I think the e-Niro, it's most obvious competitor, was a little overpriced at £33.5k but that has a much bigger battery, more efficient drivetrain, better built, and better interior. Its price has gone up to take advantage of demand, and I think MG are cashing too in while times are good.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,352 Posts
I did get a type 2 cable included.
I didn't, but for those like me that didn't I've found a very reasonable priced company in Yorkshire that do one for £124.99 with free delivery. MG one at local dealer was £179!! I've not received it yet so I won't do a link until I've had chance to test it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am inclined to agree with Neilew, monthly payments are the key factor in my decision making process. I have my golden figure and as long as a vehicle cost does not exceed that I am happy to look at it. I am not impressed with the system whereby the battery is leased separately as many EVs come out very expensive in those cases, even when taking into consideration the lower running costs. If I can chop my car in at the end of the HP period and get either the (hopefully) superior successor to it, or move to another EV brand, I will be happy.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I have had my car from the 6th January, so I did get some chance to try out the car before the shut down buggered us all up !.
Given the price of the car, I think there is not a lot to moan about really.
Yes it has its issues alright, but doesn’t just about every car.
Never driven the ICE version of the car and I am really glad about that.
The engine / power train of any car can make or break the whole driving experience for me.
An average quality car with poor engine, is a poor car and a bad seller.
The same car with a great power train, can elevate the whole car and therefore increases the sales.
Electrifying the ZS had just that effect in my opinion.
Question :- Do you think anybody who had a test drive in a ZS EV would then go on to order the ICE version of this car instead ?.
Not many I guess.
Speaking only for myself here, I never would have bought the ZS with either choice of the ICE power units.
The major requirement for changing from my previous PHEV was that the car had to be a full BEV.
There is a really good choice of cars / SUV’s out there to match or better the ZS, but many of them come with an ICE.
It depends what is more important / higher on your list of priorities and if the car suits your needs.
The number one item on my list was it HAD to be electric.
A better built car with an ICE was not going to cut it I am afraid.
Not many early Tesla owners bought their cars expecting them to have the same build quality as a German built car ?.
Nothing wrong with that, just lower on their own personal list of things that really mattered to that individual.
I still think for the money, there is nothing on the BEV / SUV market to beat the ZS EV.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,352 Posts
The engine / power train of any car can make or break the whole driving experience for me.
On Wednesday we went off to the seaside. On the way back I decided to try out Sport Mode on a 70 mph dual carriage way. Alongside one of those squashed flat Range Rover thingies. Left him standing at the lights. At the next lights he comes alongside and tries again. Poor soul.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
On Wednesday we went off to the seaside.
What is the "Sea Side" ?.
Arrrrhhhh .......... Wait, now I remember ( just about ! ).
Living in Wales, we have some lovely "Sea Sides" to visit.
But that is out of the question right now :eek:.
Maybe I should take my bucket & spade and a bag of sand to the super market car park next week :cry:.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Excite has convinced me never to buy an ICE car again so it must be pretty good. With Carty on that. Then again there are other very good EVs around that I am yet to discover. So far very happy with it despite the niggles.

Construction quality I find is very good and will hopefully impress any second hand buyer should I come to sell it down the line (no plans to however!). Hopefully getting in early will help to hold up its resale value. The value of course is more than just money.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
am not impressed with the system whereby the battery is leased separately as many EVs come out very expensive in those cases, even when taking into consideration the lower running costs.
AFAIK no new EVs in the UK have a leased battery (even the ZOE dropped it with the latest model).

Reactions: Neilew and Paul M

·
Registered
109 Posts
Until the lockdown it was interesting to look at 2nd hand prices of the Nissan Leaf, despite poorer range the 24 kw versions were still at about 14 to 15k depending on mileage at 3 to 4 years old. I would hope the th ZS will hold up even better, the ability to do 140 miles before first charge on a long journey is significant (though I have yet to do that myself, only got mine last week!) At two to two and a half hours into a journey that is coffee and comfort time, I don’t think 20 to 30 minutes break is a problem for all but business road warriors. Having said that in my last job before giving up the world of work I was required to travel and often had to stop to make and take phone calls during 120 mile journeys so planning a stop at a charging station would have been entirely possible. Given that we all believe (hope?) the simplicity of the drive train will ensure longevity there is no reason to believe that depreciation is going to be a major issue. I remember reading the early reviews in which the pundits all said the MG would depreciate rapidly Because it was an MG, they aren’t saying that in later reviews because it is a great car for the money.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,352 Posts
But I'll bet you had to charge because of it !!
Not really. It really only ran for a few seconds. Once I was up to 70 mph I switched back to normal. The Range Rover didn't exceed the speed limit, unlike the Focus, who was behind both of us, came storming past about 20 seconds later. So sad. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,352 Posts
What is the "Sea Side" ?.
Arrrrhhhh .......... Wait, now I remember ( just about ! ).
Living in Wales, we have some lovely "Sea Sides" to visit.
But that is out of the question right now :eek:.
Maybe I should take my bucket & spade and a bag of sand to the super market car park next week :cry:.
Hopefully your parliament will see sense and you'll be able to visit the seaside soon. :) It's the one thing that's been on our minds since lockdown. We use our EV to go on visits so that we can see farther than the house in the next street without the huge expense of using petrol.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,352 Posts
(no plans to however!)
Me too. I have a very strong feeling that this is a keeper for me. The longest I've owned a car is 5 years (mostly 18 months to 2 years) was the Hyundai Getz (the car the pundits loved to hate). It was so practical and economic. I only let it go at 5 years as the suspension was starting to go and I had a pension lump sum to spend.

The 18 months to 2 years is because I was with the RAF in Berlin for quite some time and cars (and other things) were tax free and we got an allowance for living overseas. Ah, those were the days. Hard work, but it had it's perks.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,352 Posts
there is no reason to believe that depreciation is going to be a major issue.
Last Zoe made me a profit. First Zoe would have made an even bigger profit. If I had been able to read the future!!!:eek::rolleyes:o_O:mad:

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Hopefully your parliament will see sense and you'll be able to visit the seaside soon.
It would be nice just to drive to the coast, then sit Inside the car and have a packed lunch.
Take in a different view and some sea air.
Then take a steady drive back home, can’t see any harm in that really ???.
The Welsh government thinks people are not capable of applying common sense and has locked us down.
The Welsh minister is due to make a statement next week, but I am not expecting him to lift the restriction any time soon.
If I travel only 10 miles I can cross over the English border where there is NO restriction on travel !.
How stupid is that.
It’s all about politics.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV EXCLUSIVE
65 Posts
The restrictions are in place to stop older people like us travelling to the seaside, all public toilets are closed and they know we will not make it
home without peeing ourselves. MG knew this when they used plastic instead of leather for the seats and optional rubber mats!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts