Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 38 kWh has had to go into the dealer, flat 12v. The AA diagnosed a 2 amp vampire drain. I don't think I've ever seen a message saying the battery saver had been active even though it's definitely checked.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The garage are saying they can't find a parasitic drain even though the AA did. The 12 volt battery needs replacement but whether that was the cause seems moot. One idea I had was, could the proximity of the key fob be an issue. I have recently been keeping it in a hallway only about 15-20 feet from the car, I used to keep the fob in the kitchen maybe 40 feet away and in a RFID wallet which I stopped doing for no good reason. Maybe the garage ha been keeping the fob well away from the car whilst they are testing it. Could this be an issue does anyone think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Peter,

My two week old Ioniq 38kW also has a 12v battery drain. On two occasions the car was completely unresponsive to the remote key fob.

Had to use the emergency key to get into the car, pop the hood and jump start the thing.

On two separate occasions!

Car going into Hyundai dealer next week.

I keep keys well away from my front door on the other side of the house, so the keys can't be the cause of the battery drain.

Hope the dealer can find the problem and resolve it.

Here is a pic of the otherwise lovely car:

The colour is Fluidic Metal btw.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice car, hope they get yours sorted. Just got mine back from the dealers. They replaced the 12v battery. Exact cause murky. Could be just a faulty battery. They couldn't find a vampire drain. Said that the car takes quite a while, unspecified, to shut down completely. Maybe the AA measured too soon, although he did wait at least 5 mins.
So we shall see. I'm going to revert back to keeping the keys in an RFID wallet. If I could be bothered to spend the money on a suitable ammeter which clips over the negative battery wire it should be easy to check the key fob drain hypothesis but I probably won't.
The only error codes they found were to do with the battery failing. They said the battery saver is working but only kicks in at 11.5-11.8v, doesn't explain why it didn't kick in. So no definitive explanation, let's hope it was just the battery.
What a relief to get out of the horrible ICE hire car, felt like driving a Massey Ferguson 😄

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One strange thing. Whilst the car was in the dealers I was looking on Blue link and saw at the bottom of the page a battery field saying normal which I hadn't noticed before. When I look now that field has disappeared
Screenshot_20200819-215308.png

Now
View attachment 133846

Any ideas?
Cheers

·
Registered
490 Posts
The battery report was added to the App recently. I've seen it as Low/Red. I have fitted a BM2 monitor (about £14 on aliexpress). It connects across the battery terminals and it stores the voltage over the last 28 days, which is retrieved on an App. Quite a fine resolution too. It's interesting to see the behaviour. The car keeps the battery charging at a set level when driving. But if I get in the car, and turn on the radio etc, within minutes I'll get a low battery warning error. If the key fob lock/unlock is blipped a few times it's possible to see the battery drop way below 12v. I wonder if my battery is hosed too as I've never known a battery to be so temperamental until the car is charging it.

I invested in an Noco Genius5 battery Maintainer, and if I'm not using the car for a while I just leave that connected to the 12v.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The battery report was added to the App recently. I've seen it as Low/Red. I have fitted a BM2 monitor (about £14 on aliexpress). It connects across the battery terminals and it stores the voltage over the last 28 days, which is retrieved on an App. Quite a fine resolution too. It's interesting to see the behaviour. The car keeps the battery charging at a set level when driving. But if I get in the car, and turn on the radio etc, within minutes I'll get a low battery warning error. If the key fob lock/unlock is blipped a few times it's possible to see the battery drop way below 12v. I wonder if my battery is hosed too as I've never known a battery to be so temperamental until the car is charging it.

I invested in an Noco Genius5 battery Maintainer, and if I'm not using the car for a while I just leave that connected to the 12v.
I haven’t been monitoring voltage, but I too get the “battery warning error” after only 30 seconds or so. I’ve only recently bought the car from a dealer, so I wonder if it’s been standing around for months during the lockdown, perhaps causing permanent battery damage (to the traction battery too?). I usually also get the “battery saver has been used” message when I first turn the car on each day.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hi
So do you connect the battery charger directly to the battery terminals or the negative to another part of the car? I have seen it written somewhere you should disconnect the battery entirely if charging it.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
12v battery dead again 2 days after getting it back with a new battery................rapidly losing confidence

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mate, that is not cool.

I'm pretty sure mine has an actual problem and replacing the battery won't fix it either.

I've resorted to leaving the car turned on in Park with the keys in the car on my drive for an hour or so. Hoping that will keep the charge on the 12v topped up.

Bit of a security issue....

It goes to the dealer on Tuesday, will let you know how I get on.

What's your plan now?

I might get one of these to keep in the car for emergencies:

Which sucks to even have to contemplate.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed. We likely have the same problem. It's unacceptable.
I've got a battery booster but haven't used it yet and would only use it in an emergency, every time mine has failed it's been after standing overnight so the car has always been on my drive. The AA just told me my battery was down to 3 volts! They found a drain of 4 amps which dropped to 0.6 amps over about 20 mins, then stayed at 0.6 amps. They boosted it so it came back on. The car is now switched on for an hour to charge it as per the AA instructions then I'll see what is like in the morning, then I'll take it in to the Hyundai garage again tomorrow.
Just filled in a feedback form to the garage for the previous time when they changed the battery saying this was unacceptable and I was considering rejecting the car.
Yearning for my Ampera now....

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is in the garage now.
I said I don't want it back until they have seen and fixed the problem, ... supreme optimism on my part! I told them about the old reports of some media units not shutting down properly but unless the car shows the problem whilst they have it,........
Interested to know how you get on, also. Cheers

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Likewise!

Assuming we have the same issue - maybe if one garage sorts it out we can pass on the info to the other one!

Whereabouts in the country are you? I'm in Bristol

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Spoke to a mechanic at Hyundai today they can't find a parasitic drain yet. One idea they are exploring is that I usually leave a USB stick (music) plugged in, although I took it out when I took the car into the dealer. They are going to see if that might keep the media console 'awake'. Here's hoping.............

@ajmulh do you leave a USB stick plugged in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Negative. I did use to leave the usb cable for my android auto plugged in, but after the first time coming back to a dead car I make sure there is nothing plugged in to either usb port or the cigarette lighter ports.

Dead 12v still occurred once more with no external cables or other devices plugged in.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok thanks. The garage tried with their USB stick, no drain, I'm now taking mine in today for them to try, seems a long shot. I'm now wondering if Bluelink could be the culprit, it has been mentioned regarding parasitic drain on other Hyundai models if you search around the net.

·
Registered
829 Posts
On the previous 28 model Ioniq there's a setting in a menu for battery saver. If it triggers you get a notification on next starting the car.
No idea if the 38 has this.
I use a cigarette-lighter battery voltage display to keep an eye on the 12V, since having issues in my Leaf24.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts