Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I expect a hefty fine will result. Can others use the charging post from the adjacent space from where the photo was taken?

I expect other EV drivers will be upset. Especially if this is one of the free chargers Tesco are advertising on TV at the moment. Every little helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Annoying thing is he's a contractor working for Tesco and has been parked there whenever I've been at the store for the past week. Tesco could easily do something about it. If nothing changes i think I'll park up at one of their petrol pumps on Saturday and then head off into the store for an hour.

BTW, I've let Tesco know about this so we'll see if anything changes.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
341 Posts
Typical looking white van driver parked up in the charging space at Tesco. To make matters worse he parked there with his engine running for 30 mins before locking up and leaving it there for the night. FFS the rest of the car park is empty.
I am sorry but why didn't you just spoke to the lad? You waited 30 minutes looking at him siting there with running engine, took a time to take a photo with him inside the cab and even watched him locking the van for the night and did not do anything? What stopped you from going to him and just talk? Perhaps you could have gone to the shop and asked the security or customer service as well for a help to resolve this "terrible crime"? You even done some "investigative" work as well, knowing that he is contractor for Tesco according to your second post. Perhaps you spent several hours watching him going in and out the shop?
In short: Instead of a throwing a tantrum here, you could have resolved this inside 5 minutes and get on with your life. Instead you have decided to find the forum, register and voice your frustration from the situation???
You wasted all this time and effort just so you can cry here over ....what for exactly? Your inability to deal with simple life situation?
Really???

PS. What is "Typical looking white van driver" BTW? Is there a difference between someone driving white or red or black van? Or maybe he is not intelligent enough for you, or a second hand member of the society? Please let us know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sorry but why didn't you just spoke to the lad? You waited 30 minutes looking at him siting there with running engine, took a time to take a photo with him inside the cab and even watched him locking the van for the night and did not do anything? What stopped you from going to him and just talk? Perhaps you could have gone to the shop and asked the security or customer service as well for a help to resolve this "terrible crime"? You even done some "investigative" work as well, knowing that he is contractor for Tesco according to your second post. Perhaps you spent several hours watching him going in and out the shop?
In short: Instead of a throwing a tantrum here, you could have resolved this inside 5 minutes and get on with your life. Instead you have decided to find the forum, register and voice your frustration from the situation???
You wasted all this time and effort just so you can cry here over ....what for exactly? Your inability to deal with simple life situation?
Really???

PS. What is "Typical looking white van driver" BTW? Is there a difference between someone driving white or red or black van? Or maybe he is not intelligent enough for you, or a second hand member of the society? Please let us know.
No tantrum, just sharing the story with a picture. Unlike you who have clearly spent a long time composing a critical response to my post I didn't spend 30 mins looking at him. The van was there with the engine running when I went into the store and still there when I came out 30 minutes later. I have spoken to him, got a load of 'white van man' abuse for my troubles - along the lines of there's never more than 3 cars charging so what's the problem mate. Nothing against van drivers of any colour but have a problem with ignorant abusive white van drivers who think they are entitled to do whatever they want.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
There is a view amongst some tradespeople that things like parking restrictions and any associated penalties are just another business expense. A friend who used to have his own office fitting business instructed his drivers to just ignore all parking restrictions and submit the penalties as expenses. He had one wall of his main office covered with hundreds of parking tickets, but his view was that it was cheaper to just pay them than it was for his guys to have to park miles away from where they were working. I have no doubt that this then goes on to make his people think that parking restrictions just don't apply to them. I doubt his view about fines was at all unusual, and wouldn't be at all surprised to find that other companies just factor in penalties as an everyday business expense.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If he is a contractor for Tesco, as you have stated, you should raise a complaint with the store manager, or whoever the senior staff manager is there at the time and have him moved to a more appropriate parking place.

If he is ultimately working for Tesco it is down to them to resolve the situation, not you, or any of the keyboard warriors commenting from afar.

Unfortunately their are dickheads in every walk of life. I had a local council van driver parked half on the pavement the other day with the engine running for over an hour while he slumbered in the cab during what was definitely the working day. A couple of time stamped photos along with a brusque e-mail and he's not catnapping, parking on the pavement or leaving his engine running anymore, certainly not outside my place.

My natural response at first would be to confront him and verbally tell him the errors of his ways, but the reality is that it would achieve very little and if past "encounters" are anything to go by I'm not the best in keeping my temper in check especially if the other individual is a know-it-all gobshite.

A photo or two with a clearly marked registration number so the driver cannot refute the claims along with a pithy e-mail usually does the job. It ain't that hard.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
He probably thought it better to park in a good wide ie van space so as to not get side blocked in and make it easier for other customers using the car spaces which after all are too narrow anyway. After all there was other EV spaces.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I came across a Pod Point charger blocked by a van. I parked in the opposite space and charged my car. When I came back the guy was an electrician commissioning the new charger new to the older one. So I couldn't blame him as it's not as if that charger was working.

I doubt this is the case for this particular individual, but something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He probably thought it better to park in a good wide ie van space so as to not get side blocked in and make it easier for other customers using the car spaces which after all are too narrow anyway. After all there was other EV spaces.
You're right there Ken, and there were other charging spaces - 3 of them and I'm sure over night there wouldn't be 4 cars on charge at any one time, just as I'm pretty sure all the petrol pumps at the nearby Tesco PFS would be all used at the same time but no body in their right mind would park up at a pump and go off to work. BTW, the car park was largely empty so no excuse that he needed additional space. Sadly this particular store has a few management issues, a good manager would have a contractor parking area cordoned off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I came across a Pod Point charger blocked by a van. I parked in the opposite space and charged my car. When I came back the guy was an electrician commissioning the new charger new to the older one. So I couldn't blame him as it's not as if that charger was working.

I doubt this is the case for this particular individual, but something to keep in mind.
Definitely not the case here. When I spoke with him he had a Tesco hi vis vest and on the back were the words "no one tries harder for our customers" superb bit of irony.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're right there Ken, and there were other charging spaces - 3 of them and I'm sure over night there wouldn't be 4 cars on charge at any one time, just as I'm pretty sure all the petrol pumps at the nearby Tesco PFS would be all used at the same time but no body in their right mind would park up at a pump and go off to work. BTW, the car park was largely empty so no excuse that he needed additional space. Sadly this particular store has a few management issues, a good manager would have a contractor parking area cordoned off.
* would not be all used

1 - 16 of 16 Posts