Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a Passat GTE. I'm at times carrying a spare wheel and when I am I'd like to be able to get rid of the floor as its move hindrance than help. However as far as I can see there is no way. I'm pretty sure its the first component in the production line and the rest of the car is constructed around it which seems a bit daft. I've tried RTFM without any help. And U tube etc.
As a foot note, it would not take much alteration to incorporate a spare into the original design but VW have elected not to do that in keeping with others.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I see what you mean - I had a look at my GTE estate and there is no obvious way to remove the plastic guides attached to the floor from the slots in the side of the boot. The slots do have blanking segments at the front edge, to stop you from pulling the floor too far forward and thus preventing you from trying to lower the floor into the bottom position that would never work with the GTE petrol tank sitting in the way; not sure if prising these out would help at all?

Having said that, I can't think of any way of incorporating a spare (even a space saver) without drastically raising the height of the floor, so I can see why VW have taken the route they have.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I'd used that out too. Probably need to break something to get it out and regret the attempt. I've been putting the spare into the recess that is scalloped out for it towards the rear bumper and its fine on long journeys. I'm using a 125x70x18 thats rated for the car. The front bit has to sit on top of the petrol tank but you can fold the floor out of the way making it tolerable and a hell of a lot better than having to deal with a puncture with gunk which would never work! As I say it would be real easy for VW to scallop out the tank and make it fit and I'll bet not loose much fuel capacity if any. But of course they won't because it would add weight and impact on the (fake anyway) economy figures. I've ordered a bespoke bag for the wheel/jack which I will try lashing to the side as an alternative and see how that goes. I only use the spare on long journeys otherwise I travel command so to speak like everyone else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts