Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first impression from what I have read is that it looks great but the developers are not looking in the direction that I would like them to take. They seem to be concentrating on the efficiency of the ice by using CNG. I see the future as batteries getting better with the ice becoming more of a standby to enable one to reach the next fast charger. I have enough problems locating charge points without having to find CNG stations as well.
Geoff

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I hadn't spotted this - thanks.

I really don't like the CNG extender for the same reasons as you Geoff. I suspect that it won't make it to market as a CNG extender though... if it makes it to market at all.

What do others think?

Monza Volt-Based Concept To Be Unveiled In Frankfurt

PS moved thread to Other GM Model forum.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I like that they are developing new cars.
I don't think this will ever make it. maybe we'll see a re-skinned Chrysler ELR might pick up the name.

Is the range extender an IC piston Engine? or have they done something else with the lpg like a whisper turbine?

as I said I like this car because it shows a definite interest in an EV future (that is achievable today)

I'd like to see a totally battery EV but I do feel that batteries today are not yet at the right capacity/mass/volume ratio and charging speed for all users, until then I do see EREV's as the future.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A great looking (concept) car and corroborates storys in the USA that the next Volt (Ampera??) will use the new European developed three cylinder turbo engine which was recently unveiled in the Vauxhall Adam I believe. I've not seen any road tests of it yet though.

I think the mention of CNG is more for the benefit of a number of European countries, that do have extensive CNG refueling networks, rather than a definitive plan. It just sounds a bit more "Futuristic" which is, afterall, what a concept car should imply.

I love the gull wing doors but do just wonder if they could go into production.

I guess it's "Watch this space"

Big Paul

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I would never own a gull-wing door car. They look great I agree but I am sure there would be many car parks with low roofs that you couldn't use. Most garages at home might be a problem too. I think gull-wing door are really for supercars where parking is never an issue and they are normally stored in hanger-sized garages beside the mansion!

Mind you, having never owned one I might be completely mistaken!!!

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
I like the fact they are using the 3 cylinder 1 litre ICE for this - the clearest hint yet that Voltec 2 might do the same (?)

Parax I agree that at the present time the EREV is the architecture to have. Not only due to the current state of battery technology and disjointed charging networks, but also due to what will happen next: Once EV use picks up, we will have the opposite problem of queues for charging places.

Now I totally believe that EREVs should have rapid charging too and I am glad that BMW and Mitsubishi are doing that on their models, however can you imagine the day when service stations have to have 10% of their car park spaces equipped with rapid chargers? That will be expensive to set up and the EREV will help while that happens.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
I too saw this and thought it looked great but how practical are gull wing doors. With regards to the engine I have an LPG Corsa and I did wonder why Vauxhall/GM did not consider that as an alternative to petrol or both the Ampera and now this Monza. It is more freely available than CNG and the engine conversions are well and truly tested. In over 8 years my Corsa has done over 229,000 miles with just routine maintenance to the engine. If the Ampera came with LPG then it would really cut down the pence per mile which, I believe, is more important then MPG.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi usually micro/sensor switches are fitted to gullwing doored vehicles like the new Tesla, so to avoid contact with the roof of the garage, OK if they work...

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
229,000 miles in a Corsa?! I know they're neat little cars but even so :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
And I am still here and the car is still running 239,000 miles last June.
How much have you spent at the Osteopath's?o_O
Don't get me wrong the Corsa is a great little car as anyones first or as a second little run around but to travel that far in one you must be mad of sterner stuff than me

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Is CNG the same as LPG? There seem to be quite a few LPG stations round my way so would not be a problem and presumably less emissions than petrol. What is it with EV's a stupid doors ? Oh it's an ev; must give it wacky suicide, gull wing, falcon wing doors. These ones must take the prize for the most stupid of all. P**sing down with rain but you have to drench the passenger in the rear when you open the door. Do car designers not do school runs or other "normal" things that "normal" people do in cars ?.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Is CNG the same as LPG? There seem to be quite a few LPG stations round my way so would not be a problem and presumably less emissions than petrol. What is it with EV's a stupid doors ? Oh it's an ev; must give it wacky suicide, gull wing, falcon wing doors. These ones must take the prize for the most stupid of all. P**sing down with rain but you have to drench the passenger in the rear when you open the door. Do car designers not do school runs or other "normal" things that "normal" people do in cars ?.
Car designers are trying to grab everones attention and stupid door do that, there is no way a "normal" car would ever have them for the exact reason you have stated. It is a good looking car though....

·
Status of my member is private
262 Posts
Isn't Natural Gas the stuff you get piped into your house for heating? So if you had a little consumer compressor unit in the garage, you could have your own CNG fueling station at home?

If so, that would be awesome. Although less efficient than pure EV, it is much cheaper per kwh, so would be ideal for a range extender.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
At least with CNG you could refuel from your mates gas central heating tank! :whistle:

Seriously though, I would expect the car to be easily produced with either CNG or petrol as an energy source as the engine requirement is similar.

But will it get past the design stage?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Natural Gas (in UK) is mainly methane a small single carbon molecule that forms a gas at atmospheric temperature and pressure. (CH4) (the 'gas' smell comes from an additive so maybe it is "Red" already)
LPG is a mix of much longer chain hydrocarbons (as in lighter fluid) and is mainly butane (C4H10) and propane (C5H12).
LPG has a much higher boiling point (-40C and -1C) than Methane (-160C) and can be contained as a liquid under moderately low pressure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts