Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Vauxhall Ampera - dash malfunction light.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  HandyAndy 
#1 ·
Thought i'd post this here as some might find it helpful.
Had the malfunction light come on, on the dashboard of the car.

Quick reference in the manual suggested due to emissions and advises re-seating the petrol cap. I've seen a few others on here talk about various things this light might mean. It seems this light covers a multitude of faults.

As I had no way of checking this fault code, it involved taking it to Vauxhall Now in Staples corner (Watford and Harrow told me to go there because it was an Ampera).

For me it was the air con which has so far been:

£95 for initial investigation. £99 to investigate further inc re-gas for of the aircon. Currently awaiting news on the situation..

#2 ·
The AC is required for battery cooling so eventually you will get a host of EV related errors and charging/power restricted type situations, so it needs to be done.

However, it may be all covered under the 8yr 100k warranty. I don't want to get your hopes up if it is just a leaky pipe or rad then probably not, but the AC compressor is covered under warranty (it is a high voltage part) and any it is required for the electrical side of it, ergo you can always argue that it is an integral part of the electrical power systems and therefore should be covered (which it should be).

Ask for a copy of the diagnosis and let's see it here. If they don't give it you, then don't pay for the diagnosis!

#4 ·
Went back, looks like the regas did it and they just charged the £99 so pleased with that. Guess they know that i'll be back when the service is due and went with their service plan to spread the cost of services / MOTs.

Overall, enjoying the switch to EV since getting it. Only issue remaining is the skirt scraping on bumps like everyone else mentions :D

#5 ·
To check the fault codes, I use an ELM 327 dongle from eBay £5, and free Android app "Torque Lite". Plug dongle into socke below-left of steering wheel & read the error logs. Post the readings here ("P0100" etc etc) & we can usually tell you a bit more about them. Can save an expensive trip to dealer + their minimum-look-at-it fee! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.