Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've had my amperia for a year now 57k on the clock .

I have a noise coming from the car when driving in electrical mode only.

It sounds a little like the engine in running but I'm in electrical mode so can't be that.

I was wondering if some one could recommend any one to look at the vehicle and fix.

I'm looking for a mechanic based near merseyside , I live in Southport.

Last place I went to was arnold Clark in Manchester who are always looking for ways to improve their revenue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Er it sounds a little like something rubbing , like trim is touching the wheel but it's not .
Generally hear it over 25 mph and increases the pitch with increased speed

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Er it sounds a little like something rubbing , like trim is touching the wheel but it's not .
Generally hear it over 25 mph and increases the pitch with increased speed
If it doesn't get worse when slowing down using the motor to decelerate then hopefully isn't the dreaded bearing issue.
Does your car have the full 8 year 100,000 mile warranty? Usually needs a full service history.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm assuming so , the car is a 2014 and I'm on 57 k so I assume it's covered , does this mean the motor is on it's way out .
Just need a local garage to confirm for me, hence the question about local ampera mechanic

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,293 Posts
The motor bearing sounds worse at lower speeds in the first stages.

Sounds like a regular wheel bearing. Very common.

The reason you hear it in electric mode is just because it is quiet and you can hear it.

Keep driving it until the noise becomes identifiable.

Also to check .. your tyres. If they still have the original Michelin on, then swap them quick. The noise is probably the tyre fabric now completely exposed to the road surface!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I'm assuming so , the car is a 2014 and I'm on 57 k so I assume it's covered , does this mean the motor is on it's way out .
Just need a local garage to confirm for me, hence the question about local ampera mechanic
Don't get too worried regarding me mentioning the bearing as the one that usually fails is easily accessible and often changed due to weak design/machining/possible poor install of it at the factory.

It can be very loud if failed so my guess is @donald is correct with the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Check it's not a disk rubbing on a brake pad. The rears in particular get very little use indeed, and the disks themselves tend to rust badly. It's possible yours has sat in one position & built up a really rusty grip in damp weather, then that's been snapped when you drove off, leaving a rather pitted/bumpy surface on the disk. If a piston is getting v sticky, it could be pressing, causing some noise. Simplest is check the temperature of the disk with your fingers (carefully!) after a run; if it's really hot, you've got a seized caliper. But a wheel bearing's more likely I suspect.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
My rears did this due to lack of use. Eventually the pitting caused it to stick to the pads from time to time. Easy to check - after a drive for 10+ minutes, just put your hands near the centre of the wheel and near the gaps in the spokes. If you can feel heat coming from the brake discs, replace the brake discs and pads (both sides).

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Mine have shot it. Just over 50,000 miles and bugger all disk left, just rust and they are noisy when going round corners. Will sort with (I think?) Astra disks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, just in the second garage and they can't identify the problem. it's not the wheel bearing. I'm getting front tires changed and tracking done, as they have worn on one each edge of the tire. Rear discs are pitted, and they should be changed, but not changing yet, as if it's a gearbox bearing or something to do with the motor, then it's going to be costly. They recommended to keep driving until the noise get louder so they could identify the problem. I recon it loud enough, if it gets any louder then I never going to be able to get rid.

Therefore, thinking of cutting my loses and trading it in, or selling and get a diesel as there is nothing like this car on the market at the moment that is as good on range terms unless you buy new, plus the shortage of people being able to fix these cars is frustrating.

Based in Southport and traveling to Manchester is an inconvenience I can do without.

Unless you guys can convince my other wise.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
My bet is still the rear disks. Mine are very noisy now and will be replacing them pronto.
I think winter salt has caused the rusty area to expand to the point that they rub the pads and possibly the pads are stuck in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
To add to this thread of weird noises...

When the wheel is at full lock or a sharp turn at low speeds I can hear a noise that's consistent (there, then gone, there then gone) and is like a creaky floor board noise, squeeky rocking chair (very hard to describe)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
That's the front discs. Mine has done that for years and it's just down to pitted front discs. Not worth worrying about.

Did you try putting your hand near the rear discs after driving to see if they're hot? That's the way I diagnosed my screeching rear brakes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts