Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
To get this price from Pentagon, you need to be eligible for the Associate Partner Scheme. Vauxhall have agreements with various companies to offer discounts to their employees. I have enquired about this and as an retired BT employee, I qualify for the discount. There are a long list of eligible companies. You can see them on the Vauxhall website. The discounts are also available for family members, so if you have a close relative who works for a partner company, you can claim the discount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
I went there today for a test drive. The Ampera was better than I thought but I'm gonna sleep on it before making a decision.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,338 Posts
Geoff
We have owned a Chevy Volt for about 7 months and 9000 miles, and at the moment we are running @135mpg.
My wife uses it every day for work and 80%ish of the time we use no or very little fuel, even in this weather our electric range is about 32 miles. The remaining 20%ish are spent on much longer journeys ie 150-200 miles with no charging to get her home, on these journeys the car is still getting 55ish mpg.
It is the only car she has ever really show any interest in and raves about it to anyone that will listen.
I can not recomend them highly enough, we would love a total EV but untill they build an affordable 200+ mile range car the EREV is for us the only answer.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,338 Posts
Geoff
I hope I am not teaching Granny to suck egg's but have you sorted your free home charger. We paid the £75 and upgraded to 32 amp which is on the outside of the garage. It takes seconds to plug in rather than having to use the 13 amp cable that comes with the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
I'm a long way from Scotland, but have submitted the request to British Gas for the charger. Will probably upgrade to the 32 amp one.

Wondering if it's worth going onto an economy 7 electricity tariff?
 

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Joined
·
3,435 Posts
I am trying to decide the same, from my investigations British Gas have/had an off-peak time of 8pm to 4pm, whilst others seem to be midnight to around 8am. SSE have a Powerfuel tariff with no mention of Off-Peak but I found that the standing charge for this is a great deal more expensive.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,338 Posts
Wondering if it's worth going onto an economy 7 electricity tariff?[/quote]

As an idea I now pay 13p for day rate and 8p for night.
We always charge in the day if we get home early enough as we have solar panels. If it is dark and we don't think we are going out again then we delay charge, if we are then instant charge. One of the benifits with the Ampera is that if you get it wrong it does not matter you can just use petrol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,106 Posts
Ecotricity Economy 7 is off-peak midnight to 7am GMT (goes forward in summer).

I pay 6p night and 16p day.

Ecotricity is also from 100% renewables too :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
Night time wind - I suppose but I always charge during the economy 7 times and the Ampera ca be programmed to only charge during low rate. The trick is to set med rate to be from midnight to 00:30 or 01:30 winter/summer and then ignore med rate in charging options. Occasionally I get to add a bit of solar top up in the day but that will be more frequent when I retire. I only do that if I don't have to buy any full price as well as the solar, so 6A when I'm exporting 1.6kw I can have for free, and export drops off. Ecotricity seems to be lower than some at night. Got to be them or Good Energy IMO.
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Top