Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
By "fast" do you mean at 16A (3.3kW) ?

You can charge at any rate up to 16A. It won't charge faster than that as the charger is only 16A.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
As Paul above says you can charge at 6A, 10A or 16A but nothing faster.

Perhaps what someone meant to say to you was that you "Can't Rapid Charge" in an Ampera.

HTH

Derek

Reactions: Brooktop

·
Eagle Eye
43 Posts
Just wondered - which is better in order to prolong the life of the battery a Fast Charge or a slower Trickle charge. Also is it best to run the battery to flat and then fully recharge it or just to top it up every time I put it in the garage?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Just wondered - which is better in order to prolong the life of the battery a Fast Charge or a slower Trickle charge. Also is it best to run the battery to flat and then fully recharge it or just to top it up every time I put it in the garage?
The beauty of the Ampera is that it doesn't make any difference :)

You never actually fill, or empty the battery fully, and in battery terms, even the 16A charge is slow, so just go with whatever suits the timeframe you have available to you.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
You can't run the Ampera battery flat or fully charge it, the battery is over 16kWh and it only lets you use the middle about 10kWh. The charging regime states that you should always plug in when the car is parked up (if possible). I leave mine plugged in if I am on holiday etc, the car runs battery management to keep it in perfect condition.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
@ David Jacobs . I see a Grey 2012 Ampera Electron with under 40k on the clock is now on Autotrader.co.uk for just £15k. That will still have the balance of the Vauxhall warranty until sometime between next March to August.

I'm pretty sure I predicted £15k Ampera / Volts by the years end a month or so ago. We could now see £14k or less during Xmas week.

M

·
Premium Member
11,312 Posts
Yeah Vauxhall are not happy about quite a few used Ampera being sold cheap outside of official Ampera dealers. However, that supply will dry up soon and they believe prices will harden in new year as new stock is almost gone, certainly Electron. I hear rumours they may do something to help Ampera dealers sell used, possibly a better Ampera dealer only used warranty...

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Eagle Eye
43 Posts
Of course I didn't realize the article was 2 year old. Best ignore it then. Yes I saw that same car advertised with 69,000 miles but that mileage was rather too high for my liking, looks like it has never stood still since the driver first got into it. Ha Ha. Do I understand that Vauxhall are still making new Amperas at least until 2016 when rumor has it that the car will be discontinued? (God only knows why when it's supposed to be such a good car!) Also I am curious about the MPG figures & wondered how they arrive at that 245MPG figure. The 1.4 petrol engine is less economical than a 1.4 Diesel engine and can't return more than 45 MPG,unless by driving a generator instead of the car's wheels it only needs to be ticking over which would account for the high MPG return. I have yet to see a secondhand Ampera advertised privately and have only seen them on www.motors.com & Autotrader.com. Does anyone else know where I can look?
Anyway that's enough from me...............Any comments/feedback would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Does that mean they will become collectors cars in the not too distant future like the DeLorean?
I am wondering what will replace it?
Either they will create another Ampera based on the second generation Volt (but this seems unlikely given that Vauxhall are no longer promoting the Ampera, even at EV events) or we might get GMs 200 mile EV when it gets released, although I'm not sure if Vauxhall is the right brand.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Of course I didn't realize the article was 2 year old. Best ignore it then. Yes I saw that same car advertised with 69,000 miles but that mileage was rather too high for my liking, looks like it has never stood still since the driver first got into it. Ha Ha. Do I understand that Vauxhall are still making new Amperas at least until 2016 when rumor has it that the car will be discontinued? (God only knows why when it's supposed to be such a good car!) Also I am curious about the MPG figures & wondered how they arrive at that 245MPG figure. The 1.4 petrol engine is less economical than a 1.4 Diesel engine and can't return more than 45 MPG,unless by driving a generator instead of the car's wheels it only needs to be ticking over which would account for the high MPG return. I have yet to see a secondhand Ampera advertised privately and have only seen them on www.motors.com & Autotrader.com. Does anyone else know where I can look?
Anyway that's enough from me...............Any comments/feedback would be appreciated
The MPG is work out by a government specific test over a set distance which is mostly covered with the electric range, real world petrol only MPG is about 55 ish. My life time is currently 22500 miles at 137 mpg

·
Eagle Eye
43 Posts
I am curious about the MPG figures & wondered how they arrive at that 245MPG figure. The 1.4 petrol engine is less economical than a 1.4 Diesel engine and can't return more than 45 MPG,unless by driving a generator instead of the car's wheels it only needs to be ticking over which would account for the high MPG return. I have yet to see a secondhand Ampera advertised privately and have only seen them on www.motors.com & Autotrader.com. Does anyone else know where I can look?

·
Banned
789 Posts
The on board computer spreads the fuel usage over the ev miles too. Eg. 90 mile trip, 45 on ev and 45 on petrol. Computer says 90 miles to the the gallon when in fact its 45mpg for half the journey. What most evers forget is that every ev mile still produces 60gco2 per kilometre due to electricity manufacturing. So the people claiming high mpgs don't drive very far.

It's a calculation than even environmental charities don't understand.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The Ampera tells you how many petrol miles you've driven each journey (assuming you started with a full charge) and how much fuel has been used...so an easy calculation.

The other factor, supply side, is where the electricity comes from. If it is 100% renewables then it's zero. Even if not with ecotricity, the proportion of wind energy from the grid varies (but is increasing). Think the facts are that even if it's from 100% coal, then the carbon footprint is 40x less when you factor in transport costs, electricity used in extracting and refining petroleum etc. Big oil no longer need to release figures for how much electricity is used in refining oil. The grid is a more efficient means of transporting energy than a fleet of diesel tankers! The reality is that nuclear and wind have negligible carbon footprint.

People far more knowledgeable than me may be along to clarify/expand.

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
Does that mean they will become collectors cars in the not too distant future like the DeLorean?
I am wondering what will replace it?
They are already showing what the new Volt will look like. Won't be long before a 'better' (less expensive, more range) Ampera2 is announced.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts