Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct section.

I have a brand new 2012 Vauxhall / Opel Voltec EVSE Charging cable for sale. This is the version with the orange button and the 4 LEDs on the front that can charge at both 6 amps and 10 amps. It is complete with everything as new.

I bought this 2 days ago (31/12/2012) to use as a charging solution for my Nissan LEAF and while it works perfectly charging, none of the LEAF timed charging or climate control works as Nissan & Vauxhall use a different protocol. As this was a special order from Vauxhall they are, at present, not taking it back.

It retails at £261.60, though I was able to get 10% discount and got the cable for £235.44 and this is what I am looking to sell it for. I have the receipt / guarantee and you can pick the item up or I can take PayPal payment and ship the item to you (UK only). Feel free to contact me via Direct Message.

And whilst I am an occasional user of these forums I'm part of the fixtures and fittings over here (so buy in confidence!) http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/member.php/784-hambrook

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Sent you a pm, hambrook...

Mike

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Software upgraded? Can you expand on that?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hopbackguy said:
Sent you a pm, hambrook...

Mike
Hi Mike, have responded via PM and left you my number. If you could let me know so I could offer to others if not.

Many thanks, Grant

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If anyone has any doubts about Grant (hambrook)... don't. He is very well known amongst the Leaf community and hopefully he will become well known here too :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the endorsement Paul :)

Cable now sold.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Just a quick comment Grant... on Leaf Talk you say...
Now need to decide on buying a £370 ZCW Type 2 charging station and using the £252 ZCW cable (already have)

OR waiting for the £299 Tethered 16A Charging Station that, I have been re-assured again today, ZCW are working very hard to achieve.
I have had a tethered cable (Pod Point) now for 18 months and I wouldn't be without it.

I agree that it sounds like a good idea being able to use the type 2 cable at home and whilst out and about but in reality it becomes a real pain. When it is pouring with rain and blowing a gale do you really want to unplug the type 2 cable and put it soaking wet into the boot before you go out? I did that for about 4 weeks when I first got the Leaf and vowed I'd only ever have a tethered cable at home.

Obviously it might not bother you but it sure bothered me after I got soaked a couple of times!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Paul,

Two options:
1) I would mount the ZCW 32 Amp Type 2 Charging station in the garage and route the cable out the channel I have made in the garage post (as in picture on LeafTalk) thus making the cable and charging stations secure
2) I have would padlock the ZCW cable to the charging station (see my post on LeafTalk on how to make a combi lock fit http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/9282-ZCW-Cable-Combination-Lock?highlight=combination+lock) and leave it tethered.

I very rarely use the ZCW cable out and about (less than 5 times) so leaving it tethered to the station is not a major issue for me. I prefer the stratgey of having a 32Amp station on the front of the house, even if the current LEAF only charges at 16 amps. It places me in better stead for our 2nd EV be that a ZOE or a newer LEAF with faster charging.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
By the "ZCW" cable you mean the Type 2 cable do you...?

I installed a 32A pod but now wish I had installed a 16A one because it is looking extremely unlikely that there will be an upgrade to the onboard charger on the 2010 Leaf and so I will be keeping the Leaf indefinitely as I cannot see any future EV models having enough of an increased range to make it worth changing.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't change our Leaf for many years yet... until there is an EV model on the market at a price I am happy to pay that has a real-world range of 250+ miles and the fast charging network is way more developed than it is today. Below 250 miles I am happy to use the Ampera until I can drive from A to B in an EV without having to plan to the Nth degree and divert all over the place.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well at present we are still 1 x EV and 1 x ICE family and would like to change the ICE in the next 2 or 3 years. ZOE might be an alternative and could use the faster Type 2 or the, yet too be announced, UK LEAF might have 32A charging. Plus folks right now working on upgrading the Current LEAF to take 32A. So take all that into account would be great to have 32A charger which is fairly future proof, plus modular in it's design so it can be upgraded, unlike the PodPoint one.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have to be honest Grant, I really cannot see much of a benefit in having 32A charging on the Leaf over the 16A of today. I have been trying to think of when 32A would actually make a difference and I can't. 32A is not fast enough to use the car for long trips and as most charging is done overnight, when 32A would make no difference at all, 32A charging would not be worth spending money on for most people. It would help a small percentage though I accept that.

I know that people in the USA are working on a 32A upgrade but it is looking like it will be very expensive and so it will only really benefit a small number of owners.

I hope you don't think that I am just trying to be argumentative. I really am not. I genuinely cannot see 32A worth having for most EV owners.

The only step up in charging that I might consider benefitial for the Leaf is 3-phase AC charging as well as DC charging. That ain't going to happen any time soon.

Nope, I started out buying the Leaf not much off 2 years ago on a wave of enthusiasm but I now feel that that enthusiasm was misguided. IMHO what we have now won't change much for many years to come.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Many thanks for the unit Grant, just had great fun(!) trying to get it into the boot!

Mike

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I tried to get mine back into the boot. I swear blind that as soon as you take it out the space in the boot gets smaller so there is no chance of getting it back in!!! :)

I just keep mine on the floor of the boot now.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Paul Churchley said:
I tried to get mine back into the boot. I swear blind that as soon as you take it out the space in the boot gets smaller so there is no chance of getting it back in!!! :)

I just keep mine on the floor of the boot now.
I think you've hit the nail on the head Paul!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts