Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what people do if there is a vehicle already on a charging point.
I was thinking is it a good idea to leave my mobile number on the dash, its just a thought at least some one could call the driver to ask how long they will be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 'modified' cardboard parking meter that shows when I started the charge and my mobile number. It was modified from last years New Forest annual parking meter, as it already had the manual dial for the start time built in... Seemed a good idea at the time.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I have a laminated card with my mobile number and on one side it says I really need the charge, on the other it says "this is a top-up charge". I place this on my dash. This lets anyone know if I am likely to return to unplug and give them the charger, or if they will need to wait off my charge to end.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The nightmare scenario is either an i3 without the rapid charge option or a tesla model S hooked up on the AC side.The very thought of it fills me with dread.

I've read on another forum that it's already happened to a Leaf driver (with an i3 hogging the rapid).

Paul recently arrived at the Milton Keynes IKEA rapid, only to find me already charging. He got his wife to crouch down behind me before he pushed me over & stole my keys. Classic.**the push over thing never actually happened.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
The nightmare scenario is either an i3 without the rapid charge option or a tesla model S hooked up on the AC side.The very thought of it fills me with dread.
I really wish the network providers understood that providing an independent 22kW Type 2 Charging Station would cost almost nothing, keep all the pesky 'fast' AC cars away from the rapid chargers, and provide redundancy (as was used today by the intrepid ZOE driver).

·
Banned
558 Posts
Redundancy should be part of the specification and an obligation for OLEV funding. However, it would be desirable if the 'fallback' could be form another sub-station where possible.

Reactions: Matt Beard

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Squatted.jpg

The iOn is there 24/7 blocking one of the two bays for this rapid charger - the i3 was "parked" here for over 8 hours. There were three unused 7kW chargers just to the left of this charger.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Surely this is more likely to be about education than anything else? I am sure that this will happen from time to time until people understand the finer points of public charging when I expect they will then use the 7kW instead of blocking a rapid. I don't suppose many would do it on purpose if there is a 7kW option close by.

Whilst it is going to be annoying and inconvenient if it happens I don't expect it to become a serious issue... but that is only my opinion :)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
It's an interesting problem. I doubt someone with a 7kW charger will think too much of a 3kW Leaf blocking a 7kW post either if they are forced off onto a 13amp socket.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Its only a problem while there are no options, when the next charger is beyond your range and your stuck its not a great experience., However if there were chargers on every corner or parking bay the problem would be negated.

I dont think I have ever set out on a journey thinking if I get a 7kw charger I am fine but if there are only 13amp available I will be sleeping in the car tonight.

·
Banned
558 Posts
I call the 'Cuckoos' - stealing the nest needed by others!
Maybe EVDA could develop a 'Charging Etiquette' - the we could have cards printed! Then we could mark the card with the infringement and put it on the windscreen. I try to remember to put a business card on the top of my dash - but I can't say I remember every time! If there are habitual offenders (time/place), maybe we could 'blackball' them, online?

·
Banned
558 Posts
.. if there were chargers on every corner or parking bay the problem would be negated...
There is a fallacy in putting chargers on the back wall - where possible they should be on a side wall, where you could still access the chargers - if you can get his cable out? Power the unit down, is the trick!
In open air car parks the units should be on the spines, so 4 cars can be in position, ready to connect next. Indeed the current (sic) user could plug you in and connect using his card!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts