Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple of weeks use, my vehicle has now been returned to the dealers for investigation. Problem started last night with a warning light on the dash, according to the manual it's a problem with 'emission control' however, then the battery drained from full to zero in about 20miles when previously I've been getting over 40. Finally the vehicle will now not charge at all, the charging light flashes yellow. I'll keep this post updated with progress once I hear from the dealer just in case anyone else gets anything similar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Ampera has been on the road 4 days and back to the dealer for a similar problem. Eden Vauxhall dont know the answer at present but lots of conference calls going on to try and resolve.... Will probably be gone for at least a week.... :( Been demoted to a Meriva which not too happy about when Eden have a Demo the same as mine, does not look good with the neighbours...

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
Oh dear. There does seem to be a few with charging problems. :( Marshalls_chris had a problem with it not charging. His is now fixed (well, I hope it is still running!).

Please keep us informed how it is going won't you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
first thoughts from Vauxhall are that its a fault with the charging socket. this explains why when driving at low speed the car kept trying to apply the handbrake as it thought it was in charge mode! Very strange. 6 fault codes came up, so I think they are a bit confused at present, car has only done 143 miles....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vauxhall have been excelent and arranged a courtesy car immediately. The Ampera is still in the workshop though and I understand they are dealing directly with Vauxhall Technical. I am picturing lots of head scratching . . . watch this space.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mines a fault with the charging socket/unit, but its 10 days for part then a further 2-3 to fit so Eden Vauxhall tell me.... Not happy :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi All

Sounds like a similar problem to mine, new charging unit fixed the problem with charging. Other problems solved quickly after that.

Bear with it - have done 500 miles on just electricity and virtually 500 miles on the petrol generator and and it's great !

One tip I did get from Vauxhall is that the fuel tank is pressurised so it is essential that you lock the filler cap when you refuel otherwise you get a warning light for electrical / emissions fault.

Good luck, with getting the cars back - Trevor at My Ampera is excellent.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, Trevor is very helpful. I'm no statistician but with so few Amperas on the road the frequency of vehicles needing new charging units seems very high.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gary, I know that everyone here is doing their utmost to have your car back to you in full working order as soon as possible. You should be receiving our Ampera demonstrator today, which should be fully charged when delivered!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Am I alone in finding that reply to Gary just a little patronising? I have today been told the same thing, the part has to come from Germany and will take 7-10 days to arrive. Have Vauxhall not heard of UPS or DHL??? There are 57 owners on this site and from what I can see three have this problem confirmed so far. Not a good track record. As I face the prospect of my car being in the garage for longer than I've had it on my drive I can fully appreciate where Gary is coming from. Vauxhall need to escalate this issue.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
Sorry but at the risk of appearing argumentative... no, I don't find it patronising at all!

In fact, I find it refreshing that Eden Vauxhall are taking this issue seriously and at least providing an Ampera as a loaner. Many dealers wouldn't do that.

Yes, there do seem to be a few failures of a similar kind. That is really unfortunate and certainly very annoying for those it affects. Who knows... it may happen to me yet!!! :roll: However, I have to reiterate what I have said before... we are the first. OK, not the first in the world as the USA has the Volt and Europe has had the Ampera before us... but the first in the UK and it does take some time to put in place spares stock etc. Moving stuff around Europe could be quicker I agree and perhaps Vauxhall could speed up that for the sake of us early adopters, but on the whole I would ask that we cut Vauxhall some slack. They did not know they would have these issues so could not anticipate what stock to keep locally.

If things are not fixed quickly and with some recognition of owners disappointment and frustration then we might have more cause for complaint but from what I have seen and heard, for now, I think things seem to be being handled pretty well except for the speed of shipping as mentioned before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately the method of shipping for parts to us at the dealer is not down to us, and we have certainly at no point intended to patronise anybody, and have tried to make Gary's time without his car as painless as possible by loaning our Ampera for the duration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paul, why do you suggest we cut Vauxhall some slack? They are a multi-billion dollar international
Company that have introduced a new concept vehicle not as a favour but as a commercial venture. They have attached a premium price tag which is high, even allowing for the technology of the vehicle. There is clearly a problem that they must be aware of and quite frankly I don't share your view that they are reacting as we might justifiably expect them to. For a vehicle with a £40k cost I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to move heaven and earth to get it fixed quicker than two weeks. However, I didn't join this forum for this sort of debate so will not post again.

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
Mgp, you are entitled to your opinion... whether you post or not is of course entirely up to you but I thought this was precisely what the forum was for... to air our views and opinions and discuss them in a friendly way? If you don't post again on the topic then that would be a shame and you will not have the opportunity to change mine or others minds through our discussions...

I think we should cut Vauxhall some slack because I do not think that screaming and shouting about something that they could not anticipate is of benefit to us... the owners.

There is no benefit to Vauxhall either to deliberate delay repairs. They have a system for parts relocation and that has to take its course. Sure, it should be quicker, as I have said, but right now it is what it is.

I simply do not believe that the price of a car has anything to do with the logistics of moving parts around for a new model. We are paying for the car... not some kind of premium service when it comes to repairs etc. I expect the same level of service that I would receive had I bought an Astra and no more. But then I expect no less either so repairs should be carried out quickly and with consideration of the owner's inconvenience.

If Vauxhall were to wait until every stock location has full stock of every part then it may well have delayed launch and we would perhaps not yet have our cars at all. It may also increase the price as significant amount of extra stock would be required to be stocked. I think it not unreasonable to have to wait a few days for major comopnents or unusual parts, particularly in these early days.

I think that many people seem to think it is easy to launch a new vehicle like this. I have no evidence but I would be surprised if it was much different with most new model launches except of course that most cars launched no days shares a significant number of parts with other models... this is not so when it comes to the EV, Charging or Voltec components of the Ampera. I feel that regardless of how much we paid we cannot expect Vauxhall to have parts for every failure in the country for a while yet.

I am sorry if what I say annoys you. I do not intent to annoy or upset anyone. But there again I expect to be able to voice my opinion and everyone else is free to do the same to the same degree... providing it is kept friendly ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
MGP, I respect that you do not want to get into a debate here, however, please do not be under the illusion that this is just a money-making venture from Vauxhall. Believe me, I have seen some figures - it isnt!

This is about so much more than that for Vauxhall, it is about the bigger picture - being the pioneers of this new technology. We should be proud that we are part of this exciting new era in automotive technology! I certainly am.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is one of the funniest things I've read for ages and is even more patronising than the previous post from a dealer. Clearly Vauxhall have got their dealer PR training right, if nothing else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts