Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Vehicle rejected due to connect services

4K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Ev ian 
#1 ·
So since buying my leaf 4 weeks ago I’ve been unable to get the connective services to work, customer services have been beyond hopeless and I’ve run out of patience and taken the advice of trading standards and written to the dealer to return the car.
He has refused on the grounds that the app isn’t part of the car, obviously I completely disagree as it’s part of the service I was offered when purchasing the car.
Has anyone succeeded in handing the car back due to the connectivity? Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I think you're being a bit optimistic in hoping that it will ever be of any great use to you !

I'll keep pestering them until mine does but even then I'm fully expecting days when it doesn't work at all and others when it's so slow that you've made other arrangements before you get their advice.

#3 ·
I waited two months for access to the app, it was with technical, everyone i spoke to at customer services could do nothing other than ask me to wait until they had heard back from technical.
I ended up creating a new login and finally I have the app working
. TB H it's not that useful other than telling you the current state of charge and pre-heating the car.
I can totally live without it

Really enjoying the car tho ?

#5 ·
Though possibly not quite as handy as you might think. When the 'find my car' function was working I sat in it in a supermarket car park and it told me to walk 40 yards Eastward. Another time I was in a building with the car outside at the front - it told me to go through the back wall (no door there) then walk 100 yards along that road, turn right, walk 40 yards (past the car park entrance) then turn right again and walk along the main road.

Possibly flashing the lights & sounding the hooter might be a tad more useful. I think that should happen (but didn't get initialised in my set) although my Volvo has a similar function just by pressing a button on the key; perhaps that's a bit too simple for Nissan ?

#9 ·
I've probably had at best 20% success rate with the Nissan app over the years, and can't say I've found it any better on most other manufacturers I've tried either.

Honestly, at times it has worked its been nice, but not something I couldn't live without, and certainly not something I'd be thinking of getting rid of the car over since it was otherwise great.

As others have said, the GPS location is terribly inaccurate and Google Maps does a better job of recording your parking location if you're forgetful.

The preheat/cool feature can be done by timer if you have a predictable life and are plugged in, and will be far more reliable. I stopped even trying to get the app to do it as it wasted time and rarely actually did what I asked.

Same goes with the battery charge level. It either can't display it or is showing data from before I plugged it in. Look out the window to see the blue lights for a better, quicker confirmation if it's charging and roughly how much charge you have taken on.

#10 ·
Yes, I did but my circumstances were a little unusual. I ordered a new 40kwh and asked the dealer to load the services when I went to collect it. The new car was already registered to me and the PCP set up. After waiting 8 hours with only partial services loaded I pointed out the 15 mins - 4 hours it supposedly took to load. It was suggested it was a poor network/Wi-fi connection and it was suggested I take it down the road for a bit. No improvement. I made it clear I wouldn’t accept the car until the services successfully loaded and was given a loan car while the dealer tried to sort it. A week later at a meeting with the General manager of the dealership I rejected the car as the services still hadn’t loaded. After initially suggesting it was Nissan’s problem and they were only agents I pointed out my contract was with them. I then, while sitting in the dealership, emailed them to confirm I was rejecting the car. Eventually they agreed to “wind back the transaction” and gave me back my trade in and settled the PCP finance.

I then bought a second 40kwh, this time a 69plate pre registered car with 6 miles on the clock from a different main dealer. A week later I found out it was only charging at 3.6kw. A charger fault was showing in Leaf Spy and it took a couple of weeks for Nissan to verify it was indeed a 3.6 kw charger not 6.6kw. I told the dealer and the general manager asked if I would go in to discuss it with him. A full refund was agreed (I had decided to pay cash for this one.)

My third 40kwh is due on 2nd March. Third time lucky? We’ll see.

I have considered other BEVs but there is something I like about the Leaf - you can actually buy one!

Did you reject the car within the 30 day period allowed under the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

#12 ·
Hi Ken,
Yes In writing I’ve informed them that I am exercising my short term right to return as suggested by trading standards, dealer has rejected the return saying that it is an app issue and not a car issue, will Inform trading standards tomorrow and see what they suggest as the next step.
Also informed the motoring ombudsman as was also suggested.
Funny because as a manager myself I’d be doing everything I could to keep a satisfied customer especially as the cost to them would be minimal in the scheme of things, an early resolution would of potentially kept me as a customer, now I would never purchase the brand again or recommend that anyone else does.
I’ve also not gone ahead with the order we were placing for E-NV200’s as vehicles for work. Amazing how easy it is to lose customers with poor customer service.

#19 ·
I had terrible service from my local Nissan dealer too ( too much to list everything here) no returns calls, no real interest in my concerns about a few issues I had with the vehicle..
They also managed to lose my service/handbook folder whilst they had it for 2 months for a warranty repair at 2 months old ! !
They insisted it was nothing to do with them dispite there been no where else the folder could have gone missing... Had to involve Nissan customer services which went on for over 6 months between them, me & dealer, not even a sorry from dealer..
I am telling all my friends & customers to avoid them like the plague & bought my latest vehicle elsewhere so they lost out in the end..
Customer service is key to keeping customers, seems most dealers don't have a clue or just don't care..

#13 ·
I understand how you feel. It seems because Nissan Europe are so slow to dealing with issues (raising a case and putting it in a queue) everything takes longer than is necessary. There appears to be no facility to sort simple things quickly and that just causes frustration. i think the dealer has been very short sighted in your case.

#16 ·
This type of thing is so infuriating especially when the seller couldn't give a f*ck about their customer. You only have to look at the Nissan website to see that the connected service is part of the package you bought, so that argument doesn't wash. There is a strong urge to get revenge on the dealer and that is understandable, so good luck, I hope you get your money back. I have a Leaf and have had many issues with the app and have got cross, but for the last few months it's been absolutely fine. And it is a really nice car. I got annoyed with the app at the time but glad I stuck with it.

#31 · (Edited)
My sentiments exactly.

On both occasions when I rejected the cars I was really disappointed that was the only route available. I would have loved to have kept the cars if a practical solution could have been sorted.

Although I have only had the pleasure of driving the 40 kwh for 3 weeks and 500 miles, every mile was a joy. I particularly liked the e-Pedal and the 360* camera which I don’t think any of the opposition have. I have had a couple of drives in e-Niros and although I
liked the paddle operated regen it doesn’t compare to the simplicity of the e-Pedal for a totally smooth seamless driving experience.

I think all discussion about which BEV to buy ends up being about range and virtually all other aspects of the driving experience are ignored. That is a shame. Some complain that the 40 is just a facelifted 24 or 30 with a bit more range. Well, in my view there wasn’t much wrong with the original and the new one just does everything a bit better.

I think it is significant that main complaint about the 40 and 62 is the app! There really is not much else to complain about.

And with all the great deals, particularly when leasing, in my view it is the best value BEV out there.

#17 · (Edited)
Jeez, Nissan Customer Service is as bad as I'd heard. I shan't be buying a Leaf then.........

EVM on YouTube mentioned he's had a number of gripes with both dealers and NIssan themselves after owning 2 Leafs (Leaves?) over 40k miles. He described the customer service as sh**e, and will not be buying another Nissan.

As Howie mentions above, if the connected service is advertised as part of the ownership package then it clearly should be in place, and up and running at the time the purchaser collects the car from the dealer. Any trumped up bullshit offered as an excuse clearly falls foul of the Sale of Goods Act.

Nissan have happily had it almost all their own way until recently. But competitive alternatives are now coming on stream, and buyers are taking notice. The old " we may have crap customer service, but we're the only player in the game" speel just isn't going to wash anymore.......

#27 ·
Your probably right, I should be thankfull I got it back at all ?
When I collected vehicle it only had one key working ( I left both keys with them in case they needed to re-program control units) They had no idea about paying for my taxi fee when I picked it up dispite agreeing to it ( luckily via email as proof ) that took weeks to get sorted, the list of incompetence goes on....

#25 ·
Yeah they’re the ones that advised me to write the letter before the 30 days was up and also told me toto get back In touch when the return is rejected, when not if.
They must get used to this sort of thing but certainly seemed to think that I had a strong case, just depends on whether or not I can be arsed to take it as far as court if they dig there heels in.
I’ve also written to the Daily Mail motoring team as I feel this is something that all potential buyers should be aware of, I certainly would of considered my options more carefully.

#29 ·
I am confused.

How does a non-functional Nissan Connect service warrant rejecting the car?? Agreed that this is an additional service provided by Nissan for their LEAF owners, but it doesn't stop the car from working! Yes, it is annoying when it doesn't work but if you purchased the car solely based on the fact of this service, then...

I for one wouldn't base a car purchase solely on the fact that it comes with an app, but would base it on the total package.

#30 ·
I am confused.

How does a non-functional Nissan Connect service warrant rejecting the car?? Agreed that this is an additional service provided by Nissan for their LEAF owners, but it doesn't stop the car from working! Yes, it is annoying when it doesn't work but if you purchased the car solely based on the fact of this service, then...

I for one wouldn't base a car purchase solely on the fact that it comes with an app, but would base it on the total package.
Go to the Nissan website and look at the Leaf page. It advertises the car based on four main selling points; Range, Propilot, zero emissions and connected services. This is how they are selling the car, regardless of which of these you deem to be unimportant. Nissan can't have it both ways and it's perfectly justified to reject the car based on one of these four offerings. You say you base the purchasing decision on the total package - I think you just answered your own question.

#33 ·
OK, fair enough... However, not all car variants have Pro-Pilot - this depends on the version you purchase.
Unfortuately with any connected service there are many variables in play. I am sure if you look at the T&Cs you will find disclaimers that they do not warrant the connected to work 100% of the time.

So, if you are talking about range - then are you going to reject the car because you aren't getting 168 miles as advertised? Are you doing to reject an ICE car because it doesn't give you the claimed MPG?

#33 ·
I’m not rejecting the car because it doesn’t work some of the time, I am returning the car because it fails to work for me at any time, not once. I’m 4 weeks in and have failed to connect once let alone most of the time.
if they had tried to assist in connecting the car when I first complained I might have taken a different car if it couldn’t be fixed instead of a refund but actually I haven’t heard from customer services for nearly 3 weeks, even the dealer couldn’t get hold of anyone to assist for 3 days, it’s beyond fixing the fault now.

#34 ·
With modern cars there is increasing phone integration. Look at Tesla M3. If you couldn’t get the remotely operated functions to work in that you wouldn’t be very happy.

If you make a big play of the connection issue in your marketing you should expect to get cars rejected if it doesn’t work.

#36 ·
With modern cars there is increasing phone integration. Look at Tesla M3. If you couldn’t get the remotely operated functions to work in that you wouldn’t be very happy.

If you make a big play of the connection issue in your marketing you should expect to get cars rejected if it doesn’t work.

At work we’ve got a 3 1/2 year old Model S and Model 3 that’s a few months old, both use the apps all the time for all sorts of things, neither has ever had an app issue, I find it incredible that a company as new as Tesla is so far ahead of the game, with the cars and the connectivity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.